Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Old Jul 8th 2016, 2:12 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Originally Posted by Beoz
Unions did have their place at one point in time and have a big hand in the conditions that are law today.

But that day has passed and running a country based on your union roots is no longer a benefit to all.

Of course that won't stop the me me me's
You talk as if the desire for the CEOs to drive down employee pay and rights is a battle of the past. Even you realise that's a war that's never won - just look at the attack on overtime payments etc. And as we have talked about, its going to get much worse as automation comes along and decimates industry employment.

You could get rid of the need for unions, but then you'd have to have laws that made CEOs play to the good of society, rather than the shareholders. And to get that you'd need a real left wing government ....
Old Jul 8th 2016, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
You talk as if the desire for the CEOs to drive down employee pay and rights is a battle of the past. Even you realise that's a war that's never won - just look at the attack on overtime payments etc. And as we have talked about, its going to get much worse as automation comes along and decimates industry employment.

You could get rid of the need for unions, but then you'd have to have laws that made CEOs play to the good of society, rather than the shareholders. And to get that you'd need a real left wing government ....
You talk like those governed by awards (small proportion of population) have it bad in the first place. They don't. They have one of the best pay deals in the western world.

This is why in a country like Australia where they pay deals are so good, keeping the corporates happy is so important.

What's better. Some jobs or no jobs? If the unions had their way their would be none.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 2:44 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

What's better. Some jobs or no jobs? If the unions had their way their would be none.

False equivalence. The real choice is between the fruits of higher profits flowing to the workers, or the CEO/shareholder bank balances. The reality is the first is better, big picture, but greed and corruption means what happens is the second.

If the CEOs had their way, there would be nobody to buy their products.

Oh and BTW, I've seen some modelling that suggests that the LNP could edge it in more of those 6 seats - but it's so knife edge you wouldn't want to sneeze. They are looking at postal votes shifting things from a few hundred one way to a few hundred the other. Will the asymmetry be that significant? We might eventually know, but with postal votes still flowing in...
Old Jul 8th 2016, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I don't get Trade Unions.
I get they bargain for wages for, apparently, people who don't get to do it for themselves. I can live with that. Why do we need tossers like Shorten who then use them as a career, and shaft people in any case?

Did I say I didn't like Trade Unions - highly, highly suspect, God I wish I could be in a room with them when they try their bully boy tactics. It seems no one even thinks to get the cops involved. A tape recorder is all that is required..

I'm fairly ambivelent re Shorten, he does seem to be learning far better on the job than any of his predecessors, all the way back to Keating is the only observation I'll make at this stage.

As for the role of Unions, and bully boy tactics. I'm very surprised at you in particular on this one Badge. There are just as many Bully boys on the other side of the fence, if not more. I don't get the fact that people wont let this one sink into their psyche.

I never needed a union with the Gas and Fuel, they were great employers, or at any Job I had in the UK before migration. However the fact that Post signalled that they wouldn't be letting me take time off, to take part in our home birth for our last child 18 years ago, without booking the exact time months in advance, was the catalyst for me joining the union. Turned out unbeknown to me I was also owed 1,000's in backpay as the local boss was giving me time off in lieu by sending me home early on quiet days v working late on busy days....... and not at time and a half as supposed to with overtime. They also sorted out the leave for our upcoming home birth as well.... all within 5 mins, as opposed to the weeks I'd been trying to get through to my local managers that you cannot schedule a birth... especially a "Natural home birth".... that was unnecessarily very stressful and very much bully boy stuff.

You bet we need unions. There were also a couple of crap part time jobs that I did after the Gas and Fuel and pre Post where Unions were definitely needed... one in particular where you had to put you hand up for permission to go to the toilet and wasn't allowed to talk... that was in data entry.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 8th 2016 at 3:18 am.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

False equivalence. The real choice is between the fruits of higher profits flowing to the workers, or the CEO/shareholder bank balances. The reality is the first is better, big picture, but greed and corruption means what happens is the second.

If the CEOs had their way, there would be nobody to buy their products.

Oh and BTW, I've seen some modelling that suggests that the LNP could edge it in more of those 6 seats - but it's so knife edge you wouldn't want to sneeze. They are looking at postal votes shifting things from a few hundred one way to a few hundred the other. Will the asymmetry be that significant? We might eventually know, but with postal votes still flowing in...
The fruits of profits only roll to the workers if there is a business strategy in place that allows workers to own the company or parts of it. If that doesn't occur then the owners receive the profits ... and rightly so. Business isn't a charity.

Now ... if we want to discuss whether employee ownership of companies is a good thing lets discuss. It is my book. Plenty of employees own part of the business they work for. You can buy shares, be rewarded in stock allocations and the like. Its good for businesses to have workers take some ownership and subsequent responsibility.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 3:33 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

The fruits of profits only roll to the workers if there is a business strategy in place that allows workers to own the company or parts of it. If that doesn't occur then the owners receive the profits ... and rightly so. Business isn't a charity.
Which is where the big picture is sliding you by.

You are describing what IS, I was describing what needs to be.

If the CEOs have no restraining laws then we end up in slave labour - we know because we've been there before. And for our society to work EVERYONE needs to benefit from their labours - so the money keeps going around.

In large part the upheavals you are seeing around the world are due to that reality being ignored and the poor getting shafted. Guess what, doesn't work long term.

BTW thought occurs to me, are postal votes opened in the order received?

I guess yes, which means the vote will be temporally correlated. Those that are likely to send in votes early at the beginning, and those that leave to the last minute at the end. If that correlates to voting intention (and it probably does via the elderly) then the postal vote makeup will shift over the count.

I wonder if anyone has studied that?
Old Jul 8th 2016, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Now ... if we want to discuss whether employee ownership of companies is a good thing lets discuss. It is my book. Plenty of employees own part of the business they work for. You can buy shares, be rewarded in stock allocations and the like. Its good for businesses to have workers take some ownership and subsequent responsibility.
Well no. Your salary review is usually largely based on the performance of that company. If it does well, and you have done a good job, you might get a pay rise. Unfortunately, many companies can interpret an improved bottom line as not something that can be considered for salary reviews (even though CEO's will always get their bonus).
Old Jul 8th 2016, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Which is where the big picture is sliding you by.

You are describing what IS, I was describing what needs to be.

If the CEOs have no restraining laws then we end up in slave labour - we know because we've been there before. And for our society to work EVERYONE needs to benefit from their labours - so the money keeps going around.

In large part the upheavals you are seeing around the world are due to that reality being ignored and the poor getting shafted. Guess what, doesn't work long term.

BTW thought occurs to me, are postal votes opened in the order received?

I guess yes, which means the vote will be temporally correlated. Those that are likely to send in votes early at the beginning, and those that leave to the last minute at the end. If that correlates to voting intention (and it probably does via the elderly) then the postal vote makeup will shift over the count.

I wonder if anyone has studied that?
What is sliding you by is that free ride and age of self entitlement is over and in its place is business mobility that can up and leave you high and dry in a flash.

I think we can all agree that supporting the big end of town in Australia is a must (despite the BS from BS). Without the big end, you don't have a job.

The feeling I get is you want the big end to give you handouts with nothing in return. That's the type of greed that's consuming the left wing right now and things don't work that way.

If you want a piece of the pie you have to have skin in the game. Simple as that.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Well no. Your salary review is usually largely based on the performance of that company. If it does well, and you have done a good job, you might get a pay rise. Unfortunately, many companies can interpret an improved bottom line as not something that can be considered for salary reviews (even though CEO's will always get their bonus).
If you don't like the way your company pays you, or rewards you, leave, rather than smashing your fists on the table like a spoilt child.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

What is sliding you by is that free ride and age of self entitlement is over and in its place is business mobility that can up and leave you high and dry in a flash.

I think we can all agree that supporting the big end of town in Australia is a must (despite the BS from BS). Without the big end, you don't have a job.

The feeling I get is you want the big end to give you handouts with nothing in return. That's the type of greed that's consuming the left wing right now and things don't work that way.

If you want a piece of the pie you have to have skin in the game. Simple as that.
Your faith in the big end is shockingly naive, unless your being deliberately disingenous to enhance your political belief mindset.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Your faith in the big end is shockingly naive, unless your being deliberately disingenous to enhance your political belief mindset.
Do you have a job without the big end? No ...... without the big end no one sends post. Without the big end you would have been made redundant years ago with a healthy pay out. Now whilst that might be what "you you you" wants there are plenty of people who want to continue to work and we as a whole country need people to work.

I think you've been drinking too much of the BS kool aid if you believe the big end is not needed in the country.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 4:15 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Do you have a job without the big end? No ...... without the big end no one sends post. Without the big end you would have been made redundant years ago with a healthy pay out. Now whilst that might be what "you you you" wants there are plenty of people who want to continue to work and we as a whole country need people to work.

I think you've been drinking too much of the BS kool aid if you believe the big end is not needed in the country.
Why allow the formation of the 'big end' at all?

The only reason is that they are a benefit to society, otherwise, what's the point?

As such you need to make sure they deliver that benefit. A million in the bank is the reward for that benefit, not a right.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't like the way your company pays you, or rewards you, leave, rather than smashing your fists on the table like a spoilt child.
Who has slammed their fists? Not me. I thonk it's quite bizarre how quick you are to defend corporate greed. Maybe you're actually the CEO for CommBank.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the LNP believe their campaign lessons learned were in the fact they didn't target and bitch about their opposition.

Senior government ministers, including deputy Liberal leader Julie Bishop, have conceded the government made some mistakes, and could have gone harder.

“We didn’t attack Bill Shorten and the unions in a way that we could have. We didn’t expose their record on border protection as we could have. And that was because we wanted to run a positive, optimistic campaign,” she said earlier this week.

I'd also add their economic record, their policy on NG and a few others in that mix.

Its a real shame but hey that's politics.
They were reduced in statue pure and simply due to lack of policy. Or at least nothing that would sit with any degree of comfort with the majority of Australians.

Lesson being govern for al Australians not just the corporates and rich. I imagine the coalition will be struggling being so devoid of policy, unless of course they can ramp up the fear factor yet again.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I dont think Ahmed had much focus on his customers or his employees when he and his board unloaded 100's of NAB staff members across the country. I'd say his focus was primarily on his and his boards bonuses and shareholders profits.

Same with Telstra when they shift 100's of jobs overseas, they're not thinking about their customers and definitely not about their employees either.... rather their boards bonuses and shareholders profits.

Thing is Ahmed has now struck the biggest hurdle in his nepotistic mercurial backroom dealing career.... The Victorian branch of the CEPU. When Post goes down... he will go down with it for absolute sure.... I reckon he'll jump ship before then. Especially as Katter and Hanson (spit) will definitely back Post to stay in public hands.

I'm sure people haven't realised how many dirty private deals are going on at a corporate level re Aus post and how much asset stripping is going on with what is supposed to be primarily a government service.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.