Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Old Jun 8th 2016, 12:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bye bye Liberal Government..... will you ever learn.

Originally Posted by Beoz
Looks like Melbourne (with their new investor tax) will beat Sydney to it - pile in Melbourne.

Yeah, but then I actually have to go there and endure it...

S
Old Jun 8th 2016, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yeah, but then I actually have to go there and endure it...

S
That's a point
Old Jun 8th 2016, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 8th 2016, 12:17 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Melbourne (with their new investor tax) will beat Sydney to it - pile in Melbourne.

I'm not averse to an investor tax - it seems like a reasonably sensible way to levy on people who will eventually gain from a property investment and the associated tax benefits, but not be an impost on FHBs.

Personally, I'd still much rather have a nice postitively geared property than a negatively geared one however.

A friend of mine has 6 negatively geared apartments in Sydney, and now he's lost his job, he's struggling to make the repayments, and has no income to offset the costs against. He's now talking about having to sell a couple of them pretty quickly, and how it's destroyed his retirement plans.

S
Old Jun 8th 2016, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not averse to an investor tax - it seems like a reasonably sensible way to levy on people who will eventually gain from a property investment and the associated tax benefits, but not be an impost on FHBs.

Personally, I'd still much rather have a nice postitively geared property than a negatively geared one however.

A friend of mine has 6 negatively geared apartments in Sydney, and now he's lost his job, he's struggling to make the repayments, and has no income to offset the costs against. He's now talking about having to sell a couple of them pretty quickly, and how it's destroyed his retirement plans.

S
Agree. .... and bad luck to your mate .... in fact tough sh*t to your mate ..... if you play with fire expect to be burned.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 12:22 am
has lost The Game

Agree. .... and bad luck to your mate .... in fact tough sh*t to your mate ..... if you play with fire expect to be burned.

yeah, I sort of feel this way as well. Despite the tax benefits, there remains significant risk with negatively geared properties - loss of job being one of the largest ones. Anybody getting into it needs to understand that this risk exists, and should at least have a strategy for managing it if it arises.

Don't tell him I said that though.

S
Old Jun 8th 2016, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yeah, I sort of feel this way as well. Despite the tax benefits, there remains significant risk with negatively geared properties - loss of job being one of the largest ones. Anybody getting into it needs to understand that this risk exists, and should at least have a strategy for managing it if it arises.

Don't tell him I said that though.

S
Obviously pulling the rug or part of the rug now on NG and CGT could have massive consequences that the ALP haven't thought through, but NG has left in a very dangerous situation.

If unemployment goes up, there will be many more, like your mate, in the same situation. If you aren't earning, you've got nothing to write the loss of against. And with Australia's love of property and its massive exposure to it, this is a pretty dire situation.

The damage is done on NG and altering it now in some type of drastic fashion is going to hurt, it needs some type investor tax, to skew the ownership levels to owner occupiers. Like what they have done in Victoria - the problem is there, its done on one state, so all the investors just bugger off to places that don't have it. Needs to be done nationally.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 1:19 am
has lost The Game

Obviously pulling the rug or part of the rug now on NG and CGT could have massive consequences that the ALP haven't thought through, but NG has left in a very dangerous situation.

If unemployment goes up, there will be many more, like your mate, in the same situation. If you aren't earning, you've got nothing to write the loss of against. And with Australia's love of property and its massive exposure to it, this is a pretty dire situation.

The damage is done on NG and altering it now in some type of drastic fashion is going to hurt, it needs some type investor tax, to skew the ownership levels to owner occupiers. Like what they have done in Victoria - the problem is there, its done on one state, so all the investors just bugger off to places that don't have it. Needs to be done nationally.

Yes, I agree with this. A single state approach is not going to work. I think it would be a good thing to drive investment away from property in general - it's unproductive, and is essentially a dead end for money apart from a few tradesmen that do the maintenance.

But then this comes back to what I always say about there being no real tax efficient investment alternatives. You have Super, Insurance Bonds and property. That's it. And super ties up your investment until preservation age, and seems to be subject to massive regulatory risk. Insurance Bonds are only tax efficient after 10 years.

I think that introducing a capped tax efficient savings vehicle like an ISA in the UK might encourage people away from riskier investments, but will still be gaining a tax advantage over a regular savings account.

But a federal investors tax on properties seems a fairly logical way of going about things to me. So no doubt it will be completely missed by everybody.

S
Old Jun 8th 2016, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I do appreciate the pending election is putting potential house sales on hold, and if the ALP get in which is looking unlikely they may want to hang on to existing properties, property is having another boom, rents have gone down making yields worse than ever, you would think they would want to get out now and take the gain. Property stock is low, super low, helping another boom.

I guess if the Libs get back in, stock is going to flood the market after the election. If Labor get in, investors will be hanging onto their stock, bearing in mind, as soon as they sell they can't take advantage of current NG and CGT laws. Same if they buy a new build. Soon as they sell it, they are locked out of grandfathered arrangements.

And with all this new build coming on the market, interesting times ahead for Australia's love of property.
The overall rent decrease rates are skewed by the massive drops in the mining regions.

Melbourne and Sydney rents are still increasing

Rent in Australia is falling at a record pace | Business Insider

Agree that the investor tax is a good thing.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
The overall rent decrease rates are skewed by the massive drops in the mining regions.

Melbourne and Sydney rents are still increasing

Rent in Australia is falling at a record pace | Business Insider

Agree that the investor tax is a good thing.
Maybe 1%. 2%. Its dropped in the nice areas.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

There's no maybe about it, the facts and figures are right there. Just trying to temper your slightly OTT previous post.

I like your anecdotal generalisation about "nice areas" though.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
There's no maybe about it, the facts and figures are right there. Just trying to temper your slightly OTT previous post.

I like your anecdotal generalisation about "nice areas" though.
Read it which ever way and which ever city you like.

http://m.smh.com.au/money/insight/economists-tip-rental-growth-to-remain-soft-in-2016-20160127-gmf3ay.html

Sydney
Perth
Darwin

All down.

Either way, if you accept a rental increase right now without haggling, bad luck to you.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

A bit off topic but does anyone know what the typical approach to changes to superannuation is for companies? Do they usually absorb the cost or is your base salary adjusted so that the change is absorbed by you and not them? When the last change to Super happened, the company paid it. I've had two roles since then, one where the company put the cost onto me and another where they bump my salary package to include the increase.

As the silly Abbot government handled that all wrong, I guess this could be on topic.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 11:52 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
A bit off topic but does anyone know what the typical approach to changes to superannuation is for companies? Do they usually absorb the cost or is your base salary adjusted so that the change is absorbed by you and not them? When the last change to Super happened, the company paid it. I've had two roles since then, one where the company put the cost onto me and another where they bump my salary package to include the increase.

As the silly Abbot government handled that all wrong, I guess this could be on topic.
It depends on what your contract says. If it is $xk + super then I believe they need to wear the cost. If your contract is $xk package then they can decrease your takehome to accommodate the increase in super contribution.

S
Old Jun 13th 2016, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

See where you are on this chart.... A political compass re the most Left and right parts of Australia and all in between.

I'm in the most Left Part of Australia.... in fact only 300 meters from Batman Station.

Vote Compass: Australia's most left-leaning and right-leaning seats revealed - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) MG

You wouldn't know it by the cars and houses around here though.... Bentleys, Teslas, Audi's and AMG Mercs everywhere

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jun 19th 2016 at 6:37 am. Reason: fix link

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.