Reload this Page >

BUYING A CAR IN AUSTRALIA

Wikiposts

BUYING A CAR IN AUSTRALIA

Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

gwen mccormick will become famous soon enough
Default BUYING A CAR IN AUSTRALIA

BUYING A CAR IN AUSTRALIAarriving Sunshine Coast on the 18th April and were not sure what to look for when buying a car. Are there taxes involved.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:25 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BUYING A CAR IN AUSTRALIA

Do yourself a massive favour. Decide on what car you want to buy. Then use a car broker to buy it for you. A friend just saved $8,000 off the RRP of a Sante Fe and I've just asked a broker to act for me to buy a new Pathfinder.

Basically they will get a deal you simply cant as a private buyer and will do all the running around for you. You wont even have to go into a dealership. Just take delivery of your new car and save a heap of cash.

The other alternative is to buy a car from a dealership and enjoy something that is similar in practice to haggling in a bazaar somewhere. Whatever the outcome you always end up having this unsettling feeling you could have saved more etc.

I use http://www.carsba.com.au

On top of the purchase price the actual drive away cost will also have stamp duty and rego on top of it. Just ask the drive away price so there are no surprises.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:16 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: BUYING A CAR IN AUSTRALIA

Originally Posted by Centurion
I've just asked a broker to act for me to buy a new Pathfinder.
Be interested to know how much you get it for mate. We bought the Ti by shopping around majorly and paid 55271 drive away including a few extras thrown in.

It's a fantastic car btw.

Buzzy
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:29 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Even ringing a few dealers, you will get a huge variation in prices.

For the tooled up diesel Santa fe I was quoted 43K to 54K for the same car by dealers in queensland.

Some idea of the breakdown of the prices if the dealer goes full RRP

Santa Fe Ellite 7 seater.

Car $48 990
Stamp duty 980
Dealer delivery 1895
Rego 264
Ctp 312
Metallic paint 420

TOTAL PRICE $52,860.00

OPTIONS

Tow Bar 2000kg $720
Wiring harness 200
Adaptor 30
Tow Ball 30
Tint 595
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:35 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
Even ringing a few dealers, you will get a huge variation in prices.

For the tooled up diesel Santa fe I was quoted 43K to 54K for the same car by dealers in queensland.

Some idea of the breakdown of the prices if the dealer goes full RRP

Santa Fe Ellite 7 seater.

Car $48 990
Stamp duty 980
Dealer delivery 1895
Rego 264
Ctp 312
Metallic paint 420

TOTAL PRICE $52,860.00

OPTIONS

Tow Bar 2000kg $720
Wiring harness 200
Adaptor 30
Tow Ball 30
Tint 595
I can tell you now that my friend bought through a broker and got an ex demo with 1k on the clock for $42k drive away. Obviously options on top. Might help someone get a feel for how much can be saved.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:44 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

I paid direct to a dealer, Note the English discount, not sure if this applies to scottish etc

HYUNDAI SANTAFE 2.2 SLX CRDI $43490.00
METTALIC PAINT $350.00
TINT $495.00
TOW BAR $895.00
CARPET MATS $120.00
BONNET PROTECTOR $135.00
HEAD LIGHT PROTECTOR $110.00
STYLE VISORS $100.00
STAMP DUTY $914.00
REGISTRATION $264.35
CTP $290.20
DEALER DELIVERY $2195.00
TOTAL $49358.55
ENGLISH DISCOUNT $5858.55

TOTAL DRIVE AWAY $43500.00

PM me, if you want the dealers contact details ( Sunshine coast ). They delivered to Brisbane, and gave me a free rental for two weeks ( s/h car off their lot ) as delivery was delayed.

One lesson you learn here is that 80% of people will quote you the highest price they can get away with... Finding the decent price is the challange.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Be interested to know how much you get it for mate. We bought the Ti by shopping around majorly and paid 55271 drive away including a few extras thrown in.

It's a fantastic car btw.

Buzzy
I'll let you know. I'm only going for the ST since I need a manual diesel model because we tow horse floats and I like to do some off road work and nice leather interiors will get trashed. That I want to add some aftermarket kit from ARB, bullbars, extra fuel tank and a suspension lift but found my last Prado to be a bit dull and not as well thought out as the Pathfinder.