Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

But I don't want a Puppy!

Wikiposts

But I don't want a Puppy!

Old Sep 9th 2009, 11:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: But I don't want a Puppy!

Originally Posted by macy
Thanks guys you just confirmed everything that I knew already, I suppose it is mothers guilt for thinking " am I being a bit mean?" but you know what I think with our lifestyle it would be cruel to get a dog and then just leave it all day long and there is the other factor, I JUST DON'T WANT ONE.

So for once I am going to be selfish and keep on saying no to the kids, in 15 years time they can leave home and get one for themselves if they want a dog that bad.
That's exactly what my mum said to me and that's exactly what I did. I've had dogs ever since.

FWIW I think you're doing the right thing...a dog should be a member of the family not a hinderance and that's what it would be if you're not 100% sure about getting one.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

You are probably making the best decision - but stink for the kids not getting to grow up with a dog.

I have so many great memories of my childhood and in most of them is our family dog a border collie called Missy. She was just fantastic. We got her when I was about 5 and she died when I was 21 (on Xmas day of all days) but what a great dog. My mum was not a big dog fan, but dad got her and mum ended up keeping her when they split and it was really upsetting when she left us. Kids just have so much fun with their dogs.

I have two dogs myself, have had to put down two over the years - most recently was my 12 year old staffy/lab x. 3 weeks after she arrived in Aus from NZ (they had stayed behind for 3 months) she was diagnosed with cancer and we opted to PTS as treatment wasn't going to prolong life for enough to make it worthwhile. It really sucked as I had had her since I was 17 and we went through alot together.

Now we have a big slobbery beast, a 4 and a half year old lab/rotty x. He has never grown up (not all dogs mature - you have to thik of that). He is a good boy but he is quite happy to climb in your lap and he is really boisterous. Also, he has lead aggression issues so when on lead he is extremely aggressive to other dogs (unles he knows them) so he is really embarrassing to walk. Off lead he is a sweety and no issues at all.

We also recently got a wee foxy/shih tzu x girl. We brang her home at 8 weeks old - and terible owners that we are, we work full time. I leave the house at 7.10 am and my partner gets home at 3.30-4 and she is alone inside all that time (she is not quite big enough to leave outside with the big dog just yet). She is now 13 weeks old and a real little shit. We are having trouble with the loo training (all our previous dogs it has only taken a week). However, she does not get up in th enight. She goes to bed when I do - anytime between 10pm and 1am depending on the day and during the week she gets up at 6am with my partner, and in the weekend she gets up a bit later when we do. Sometimes she will scratch to come out but she gets th ehint when noone lets her out (she sleeps with the big boy).

Puppies are really hard work, but sooo rewarding. Wen we get home from work, out dogs greet us like we have been gone for months. They get all wriggly and make excited little screams. When my partner is not home at night, I feel safe because I have a big dog. They play and provide me with heaps of entertainment. And our 10 year old daughter gets right into the training (which we only just started) and loves them both to bits.

So there ar epros and cons. My partner didnt want a secon dog after we put our 12 year old to sleep, but now that she he is her - he loves her to bits.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bananalana
You are probably making the best decision - but stink for the kids not getting to grow up with a dog.

I have so many great memories of my childhood and in most of them is our family dog a border collie called Missy. She was just fantastic. We got her when I was about 5 and she died when I was 21 (on Xmas day of all days) but what a great dog. My mum was not a big dog fan, but dad got her and mum ended up keeping her when they split and it was really upsetting when she left us. Kids just have so much fun with their dogs.

I have two dogs myself, have had to put down two over the years - most recently was my 12 year old staffy/lab x. 3 weeks after she arrived in Aus from NZ (they had stayed behind for 3 months) she was diagnosed with cancer and we opted to PTS as treatment wasn't going to prolong life for enough to make it worthwhile. It really sucked as I had had her since I was 17 and we went through alot together.

Now we have a big slobbery beast, a 4 and a half year old lab/rotty x. He has never grown up (not all dogs mature - you have to thik of that). He is a good boy but he is quite happy to climb in your lap and he is really boisterous. Also, he has lead aggression issues so when on lead he is extremely aggressive to other dogs (unles he knows them) so he is really embarrassing to walk. Off lead he is a sweety and no issues at all.

We also recently got a wee foxy/shih tzu x girl. We brang her home at 8 weeks old - and terible owners that we are, we work full time. I leave the house at 7.10 am and my partner gets home at 3.30-4 and she is alone inside all that time (she is not quite big enough to leave outside with the big dog just yet). She is now 13 weeks old and a real little shit. We are having trouble with the loo training (all our previous dogs it has only taken a week). However, she does not get up in th enight. She goes to bed when I do - anytime between 10pm and 1am depending on the day and during the week she gets up at 6am with my partner, and in the weekend she gets up a bit later when we do. Sometimes she will scratch to come out but she gets th ehint when noone lets her out (she sleeps with the big boy).

Puppies are really hard work, but sooo rewarding. Wen we get home from work, out dogs greet us like we have been gone for months. They get all wriggly and make excited little screams. When my partner is not home at night, I feel safe because I have a big dog. They play and provide me with heaps of entertainment. And our 10 year old daughter gets right into the training (which we only just started) and loves them both to bits.

So there ar epros and cons. My partner didnt want a secon dog after we put our 12 year old to sleep, but now that she he is her - he loves her to bits.

I never grew up with a dog and when I see the boys who are 9 & 10 around other peoples dogs and the excitement and enjoyment they get I do felt guilty for being the mean one, never having had a dog I really don't get that adoration that dog owners have for them but I am sure like all things once I had one that would all change and I would probably be the one who loves it the most.

And don't get me wrong I am a sucker for those dogs in those pet shops with their sad little eyes it's just all I can see is the extra work it would bring into my life and working nearly full time I just don't want to take on anything else but thank you for your comments and I am sure your dog will soon be toilet trained and as with the kids when they were going through it at the time it will soon seem like a distant memory.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

I definitely get where you are coming from.

They are hard work, though it is well worth it.

Maybe you could try an easier pet for them - like a rat?! hey are neat little pets. Kinda like dogs but much smaller - we have had a few of them over the years - they dont live very long though which is a bit sad.

Like you say though, eventually they will give up asking for one and then wont be concerned about it again. If they are still really begging for one in 5 years you can also look at it again.

A friend of mine occasionally fosters pet shop puppies for long weekends and stuff, and she did this because her kids were always asking for one. Basically you get a pup and have it for a night and get to find out just how hard/fun puppies are. You could always try this too. My friends kids were put off when they ended up with a clingy puppy who shat and popped everywhere. They havent asked for one since, nor have they fostered again lol
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:34 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you should get your kids to run a dog walking service over the holidays coming up. You'll find they are quite busy, but it might give them an idea about walking dogs, esp ones which pull on leads etc.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I think you should get your kids to run a dog walking service over the holidays coming up. You'll find they are quite busy, but it might give them an idea about walking dogs, esp ones which pull on leads etc.
And if you live in Sydney, and want an example of a dog that pulls - I can provide one LOL
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:03 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananalana

Maybe you could try an easier pet for them - like a rat?! hey are neat little pets. Kinda like dogs but much smaller - we have had a few of them over the years - they dont live very long though which is a bit sad.
They do indeed make brilliant pets !!

I caved in and got one recently for my 13yr old lad and I dont regret it for second. Sox is the cutest little thing and so friendly. He is even being toilet trained, which I didnt think was possible, but I am seeing it happen
Old Sep 10th 2009, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Can't help really I don't like dogs and my husband knows that, so when our son gets older I will discuss a pet but it won't be a dog.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:22 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macy
Please confirm to me that I am doing the right thing, my children have been on at me since December 08 to get a Puppy. All our friends have dogs, all their friends have dogs and it seems to me most of Australia has a dog barking at their gate as soon as you walk past.

Now I am not a dog lover, not a dog hater either but can't really see the appeal.Please tell me I am doing the right thing in not having a puppy and not being purely selfish in not wanting one.

1) We are out of the house for from 7am - 6pm most days
2) I know the appeal of a new puppy will wane and I will be the one who ends up looking after it
3) I have been told a new puppy is like a new baby, up in the night, chewing things, etc etc
4) Who will look after the dog if we go away for the weekend?

Sorry to ramble but my husband isn't against the idea of a dog it seems to be just me and I feel the meanest person in the world sometimes telling the kids no, no, no.
I won't do it either. I'm the same as you, don't hate dogs but don't see the point of just having one. I also know that I'll be the one who looks after it when the novelty wears off.

Maybe try the kids with something smaller like a Guinea Pig. I find them handy for mowing the lawn. Chickens also make good useful pets.