Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

But I don't want a Puppy!

Wikiposts

But I don't want a Puppy!

Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: But I don't want a Puppy!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Do it.
DOITDOITDOIT . . . !
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
DOITDOITDOIT . . . !
DITTODITTODITTO!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
DITTODITTODITTO!
IDIOTIDIOTIDIOT . . . !
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
IDIOTIDIOTIDIOT . . . !
GUILTYGUILTYGUILTY!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:10 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

How old are your kids? We went through this a few years ago,when ours were little and we made a deal with them. We bought them all sea monkeys and told them that if they kept them alive for a whole year they could graduate to a fish. They managed it - not hard as they seem to survive anything - then we moved back to the UK. The youngest got her fish and the older two got rabbits. Easy enough to go away and leave with friends! They all kept going on about getting a dog, but my argument was the same as yours; I'd end up walking it and given that I hibernate in an English winter, it wouldn't be fair. There was also the danger that a dog would eat the rabbits! We had other peoples dogs to stay and that seemed to keep them happy, esp because no one was keen to walk them on a cold, wet January day!!
We moved back to Aus in January and my oldest daughter did her D of E service at a dog rescue.... we are now the proud owners of a tiny black mutt called Archie.
Still, the sea monkeys bought us 10 years! Might be worth a try....
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:13 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

We just got a pup 3 weeks ago, she is only 11 weeks old. I absolutely love her to bits, but it is a HUGE commitment!! She goes to bed at 9, then is up twice a night to wee, and up for breaky about 7am. She is very good natures and has never cried during the night (maybe cause she sleeps beside our bed) and hasn't chewed anything . . . yet!

I think the fact you are out of the house all day means definately don't get a pup! I leave Lilo for an hour and she misses us all so much.

If you are not 100% sure, don't do it, as YOU will be the one to clean up the poop, brush it, clean it, feed it and walk it once the novelty has worn off for the kids!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:18 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

You can foster a dog but the length of time you're away from the home might not make you eligable.
Dogzonline has people who are always looking for people to foster dogs which are rescues. This way, you care for a dog until a permanent home is found for them. Might give your kids a dry run on keeping a dog.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/

Also, don't they need foster parents for the Guide Dogs for sight impaired people? Check that out too.

Given what you say, I would not get a dog unless you are active types who like getting out in all weathers... most dogs need daily walks. However if you're couch potatoes and you want a dog, then there are dogs which require very little walking. Try selectapet, (below) to find a dog right for you if indeed you do go ahead. Be honest.

http://www.petnet.com.au/selectapet/choose-a-pet

My kids love my dog, my dog loves my kids... my dog barks at intruders and would probably tear a new bumhole for someone entering our property if provoked... but she's a soft lump of butter with us.
Vet bills have been scary after slashing open her paw to tendon level... do consider pet insurance if you go ahead.
It's not just the cost of food... so good luck with what ever you decide and if you don't want a dog, don't be blackmailed into getting one.

Like someone already said, 11 hours out of the house isn't fair on the dog.l

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Sep 8th 2009 at 5:20 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:43 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macy
Please confirm to me that I am doing the right thing, my children have been on at me since December 08 to get a Puppy. All our friends have dogs, all their friends have dogs and it seems to me most of Australia has a dog barking at their gate as soon as you walk past.

Now I am not a dog lover, not a dog hater either but can't really see the appeal.Please tell me I am doing the right thing in not having a puppy and not being purely selfish in not wanting one.

1) We are out of the house for from 7am - 6pm most days
2) I know the appeal of a new puppy will wane and I will be the one who ends up looking after it
3) I have been told a new puppy is like a new baby, up in the night, chewing things, etc etc
4) Who will look after the dog if we go away for the weekend?

Sorry to ramble but my husband isn't against the idea of a dog it seems to be just me and I feel the meanest person in the world sometimes telling the kids no, no, no.
Under those circumstances you would be offering a poor home to a dog and you have really stated all the reasons very clearly.

How anyone could get a dog if they are out all day is beyond me and your quite right to say no.

Get a cat maybe ??
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:00 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

You have stated that you dont really want a dog, its your children that do.

When you really want something, and could see yourself loving the bones off that animal, you are prepared to take the rough with the smooth.

You need to consider the very real possibility of your animal peeing/pooing around your house - my mates husband didnt want their dog and thinks rubbing its nose in its own faeces is the way to go (disgusting, ineffective, cruel methods of toilet training) and is prone to smacking the puppy when she is naughty.

Chewing/digging - all normal puppy behaviour, teething is painful for a pup and I remember when my puppy resembled Jaws with the puppy teeth and newly appearing adult teeth, anything was fair game.

Committment - because you dont really want the dog, how resentful are you going to be if you want to go away for a weekend and for whatever reason cannot take the dog? You will have to add booking into boarding kennels into your plans and your budget.

Health - even with insurance you have to have the money to cough up to the vet before you claim the funds back, when they are sick they cannot wait - they need to be seen, your plans however, will have to when you book that appointment in order to get him seen and treated promptly.

The love you get from a dog is unconditional but that must be reciprocated because to put up with the hard work that is involved with caring for a puppy, you really have to love it. Love is not getting cross when you come downstairs to a steaming pile of shit or a chewed up pair of shoes.

Dogs dont plan to be naughty, much of their behaviour comes from distress/boredom/lack of training or poor pet ownership/ignorance. They don't know the shoes they are chewing are your best work shoes or the garden that they have dug took you ages to fix.

My puppy is 'naughty' but I know truly he is a young, curious, smart little dog who if not kept stimulated will find his own entertainment that may or may not be something I like.

Even an older dog can come with problems, some are established behavioural issues.

Ask yourself what you would do if you got a dog and it was destructive, chewed stuff, took a while to toilet train or had the odd 'accident' on your carpet, ask yourself how you would feel after a hard day and you had to pick up stuff the dog had chewed or had to clean up shit/pee.

Because Amazulu is right, dogs rock - they love you, guard your house and make you part of their world.

But truly, you should get one because you really want one and not out of guilt for your children because if you get one when you dont want one - it will be you that becomes resentful.

However, it might be worth checking with the rescue kennels if you could foster something at the weekends to see how you get on.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Sep 8th 2009 at 9:04 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:15 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
You have stated that you dont really want a dog, its your children that do.

When you really want something, and could see yourself loving the bones off that animal, you are prepared to take the rough with the smooth.

You need to consider the very real possibility of your animal peeing/pooing around your house - my mates husband didnt want their dog and thinks rubbing its nose in its own faeces is the way to go (disgusting, ineffective, cruel methods of toilet training) and is prone to smacking the puppy when she is naughty.

Chewing/digging - all normal puppy behaviour, teething is painful for a pup and I remember when my puppy resembled Jaws with the puppy teeth and newly appearing adult teeth, anything was fair game.

Committment - because you dont really want the dog, how resentful are you going to be if you want to go away for a weekend and for whatever reason cannot take the dog? You will have to add booking into boarding kennels into your plans and your budget.

Health - even with insurance you have to have the money to cough up to the vet before you claim the funds back, when they are sick they cannot wait - they need to be seen, your plans however, will have to when you book that appointment in order to get him seen and treated promptly.

The love you get from a dog is unconditional but that must be reciprocated because to put up with the hard work that is involved with caring for a puppy, you really have to love it. Love is not getting cross when you come downstairs to a steaming pile of shit or a chewed up pair of shoes.

Dogs dont plan to be naughty, much of their behaviour comes from distress/boredom/lack of training or poor pet ownership/ignorance. They don't know the shoes they are chewing are your best work shoes or the garden that they have dug took you ages to fix.

My puppy is 'naughty' but I know truly he is a young, curious, smart little dog who if not kept stimulated will find his own entertainment that may or may not be something I like.

Even an older dog can come with problems, some are established behavioural issues.

Ask yourself what you would do if you got a dog and it was destructive, chewed stuff, took a while to toilet train or had the odd 'accident' on your carpet, ask yourself how you would feel after a hard day and you had to pick up stuff the dog had chewed or had to clean up shit/pee.

Because Amazulu is right, dogs rock - they love you, guard your house and make you part of their world.

But truly, you should get one because you really want one and not out of guilt for your children because if you get one when you dont want one - it will be you that becomes resentful.

However, it might be worth checking with the rescue kennels if you could foster something at the weekends to see how you get on.

Well said!

I'd desperately wanted a dog for many many years, but was always too allergic. I've managed to get one that has hypoallergenic fur and non shedding! Some days she will have numerous accidents, but hey, so does the toddler, and at least the puppies wee's are MUCH smaller!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:53 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

We have had a couple of pups before when living in Europe, and regretted not thinking better about it beforehand in both cases.

We picked up an 11 month old Lab/Kelpie cross just over a week ago from the dog shelter after much discussion with the family. The kids had to wait 2 years before we felt the time was right. We where VERY lucky with "sparky" he is very well trained by his previous owners & has a fabulous temprament. Its not always the case though.

Think about a number of things :
Who wants to let the dog out every morning at 6.30/7.00am before work? Because you will be out of the house for 9/10 hours, it will need to be a decent walk unless you can leave the dog in the yard all day.
As soon as you get home after a long day at work, the first thing come rain or shine, you need to do on arrival home, walk the dog.
Do you like to settle in at night? Dont forget that every night before bedtime its time for a walk again
Do you have friends that are prepared to look after the dog while on hols or can you afford kennels for 2,3 or 4 weeks at a time.

We have a half acre block ourselves, and our dog will be an outdoor dog as soon as we have sealed off the last 2 gaps in the fencing that he found the first 2 days, but we also realize that he still needs to be taken out pretty much every day as well.

Getting a dog is a big responsibility IMO, and will end in tears for the whole family if you make a hasty decision. I learnt the hard way !

Personally from the info you have given us in your post, I would wait, or as already mentioned begin with rabbits/guinea pigs/mice/rats/fish or hamsters and see if the kids are prepared to help with feeding & cleaning, and then decide.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:58 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

forgot to mention in my post, in just the last week the "honeymoon period" of a having new dog has worn off a bit with the kids. Admittedly the weather has been shocking here in the hills, lots of rain, and bloody cold, but hey, thats all part of having a dog.

Last couple of days I shout :

"who is going to take the dog for a quick walk?"

SILENCE

I dont mind it personally (nor does the dog) so its fine with us, but again worth taking into account.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Stand firm. I would say that you all have to be 100% up for it to have a happy ending. I had to take my dear old 15 year old collie to be put down last year and I'm definately not over it (pathetic I know). However, the kids are now starting to put on a bit of pressure and I'm just not going for it. They were both great at looking after her, even to the point of sometimes going for walkies at 6am with me and leaving her alone as she got more and more poorly. Ultimately, if the next one lives for 15 years again, for example, our eldest is going to be 23 and youngest 20 so I'm guessing they won't be at home any more, let alone up for taking an ancient old pooch out in the rain early in the morning. So it would be down to me. Added to that being the 'having to get back for the dog' malarky, although we did fit a dog flap in the back door which was excellent and meant we had a bit more freedom. Having to take the dog to kennels (and all the guilt that entails!) for holidays plus the expense is also a consideration, added to vets fees etc. It is right I believe to think long term for you to be able to make a decision.

Ref leaving them alone for long periods though, on a practical note, most people have to work these days and if no-one got dogs because of this, then there would be an awful lot of dogs in rescue centres. I think any dog would be better off in a home than a centre any day - they sleep for long periods too of course. Dog training and socialisation is also essential. Ours was a rescue dog who went mad at other dogs which proved a real trial.

Definately agree with Furkew and others, start small and see how long it takes for the novelty to wear off first.

Good luck

P.S having said all of the above, there are days when I would dearly love a pooch to have a snuggle with and go for a bit of 'me' thinking time during walks.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

dont get one if you really dont want one,we had had lots of dogs

1.Labrador ended up giving her to a work mate as she would never have survived the heat over here.

2.Labrador ,we lost her 3 years ago through old age (15) and heart problems.was on medications for this at the same time we had

3.German Shepard,she came from vets after having an accident (only 10 weeks old) and the owners wouldn't pay the vet fees and didn't want her,daughter brought her back as she was doing work experience.A few months later she (Tessie the dog) was diagnosed with epilepsy.Over the years, on a bucket load of meds (2 types a day) plus regular blood test to check her med levels were ok.She lived to 12 years although they thought she would be dead at 6 due to how bad epilepsy was.

4 +5 German Shepard and Bull Mastif (living on acerage 10 ) Had to have them put down due to them worrying sheep.We were overseas at the time (daughter) was up looking after them.She would let them out into the paddock and they would be missing for ages.My daughter was pregnant and didn't realize there was fencing broken/torn down? and they were escaping.We arrived home to a visit from the ranger saying they had killed a sheep.We had to put our poor babies down as the sheeps owner threated to kill them if he saw them at all (whether on his property or not) .We fought about it (oh and me) but decided in the end that since they had a taste for blood they would do anything to escape and do it again. NO MORE DOGS

Oh shite i am getting very upset writing this.

just think long and hard, they are a part of your family and give unconditional love but costly,heartbreaking and trying to find a dog sitter if you want to get away.

sorry to waffle on ,we now have a cat (1st time),a stray but he won't be going back over to scotland with us.(cost too much$2,300) although he already has had his rabies shot etc just in case we change our mind.

Last edited by aasmith1957; Sep 9th 2009 at 12:05 am.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys you just confirmed everything that I knew already, I suppose it is mothers guilt for thinking " am I being a bit mean?" but you know what I think with our lifestyle it would be cruel to get a dog and then just leave it all day long and there is the other factor, I JUST DON'T WANT ONE.

So for once I am going to be selfish and keep on saying no to the kids, in 15 years time they can leave home and get one for themselves if they want a dog that bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.