Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

But I don't want a Puppy!

Wikiposts

But I don't want a Puppy!

Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light
Default But I don't want a Puppy!

Please confirm to me that I am doing the right thing, my children have been on at me since December 08 to get a Puppy. All our friends have dogs, all their friends have dogs and it seems to me most of Australia has a dog barking at their gate as soon as you walk past.

Now I am not a dog lover, not a dog hater either but can't really see the appeal.Please tell me I am doing the right thing in not having a puppy and not being purely selfish in not wanting one.

1) We are out of the house for from 7am - 6pm most days
2) I know the appeal of a new puppy will wane and I will be the one who ends up looking after it
3) I have been told a new puppy is like a new baby, up in the night, chewing things, etc etc
4) Who will look after the dog if we go away for the weekend?

Sorry to ramble but my husband isn't against the idea of a dog it seems to be just me and I feel the meanest person in the world sometimes telling the kids no, no, no.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:11 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: But I don't want a Puppy!

I don't think you're being selfish. Leaving a puppy for 11 hours a day wouldn't be fair on the dog either.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:17 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do it. My family nagged me into allowing a dog and despite the fact we all love him it does mean we can't do things like go camping together.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:24 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Don't do it. My family nagged me into allowing a dog and despite the fact we all love him it does mean we can't do things like go camping together.
Why cant you take him with you ?? Although I think I recall you having a dog that is more like a pony ... a great dane isnt he ??
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:24 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sel
Why cant you take him with you ?? Although I think I recall you having a dog that is more like a pony ... a great dane isnt he ??
That's right a Dane. Dogs not allowed in national parks.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

How about instead of getting a puppy, getting a rescue dog that is a little bit older? My dog is 2 now and has always been really quick to learn, but I would not want to go through the puppy stage again anytime soon (Just had new carpets fitted also!!) I didnt work when we first got her, so had bags of time to train her and keep an eye if she went to chew anything, but puppies are a lot of work, and yes like a baby she got me up everynight for the first 3 months!!

A rescue dog in the majority of cases is house trained at least.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:32 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macy
2) I know the appeal of a new puppy will wane and I will be the one who ends up looking after it
3) I have been told a new puppy is like a new baby, up in the night, chewing things, etc etc
For these reasons alone dont do it, they are inevitable !!

Maybe get them a rabbit, much easier for you to look after and easier to find someone to feed it while your away
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Please confirm to me that I am doing the right thing, my children have been on at me since December 08 to get a Puppy. All our friends have dogs, all their friends have dogs and it seems to me most of Australia has a dog barking at their gate as soon as you walk past.

Now I am not a dog lover, not a dog hater either but can't really see the appeal.Please tell me I am doing the right thing in not having a puppy and not being purely selfish in not wanting one.

Sorry to ramble but my husband isn't against the idea of a dog it seems to be just me and I feel the meanest person in the world sometimes telling the kids no, no, no.
I think you've already answered your own question. 10 to 15 years is a long time to look after something you didn't want in the first place.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say what you have written is what half of people who currently own dogs should have thought about. Especially the out of house 12 hours a day.

Borrow one of your friends dogs for a few weeks, most will rip your hand off for free doggy care if they are going on hols. Your kids pick up the poop 3/4times a day, walk/play with the dog 3/4 times a day, give it tick checks, heartworm/flea treatments etc Turn down a weekend away because they have a pet to look after, ask them to quiten it during the night as its disturbing the neighbours, get them up at daybreak to let it out to pee.

Then ask them if they want a dog
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linloo
How about instead of getting a puppy, getting a rescue dog that is a little bit older? My dog is 2 now and has always been really quick to learn, but I would not want to go through the puppy stage again anytime soon (Just had new carpets fitted also!!) I didnt work when we first got her, so had bags of time to train her and keep an eye if she went to chew anything, but puppies are a lot of work, and yes like a baby she got me up everynight for the first 3 months!!

A rescue dog in the majority of cases is house trained at least.
I agree with that. If you get a rescue dog, they'll be house trained, desexed, wormed, microchipped and everything. And it costs a fraction of the price of buying a pure bred puppy.

You also usually get a bit of background on them, like their nature, likes, dislikes, how good they are with kids, other dogs etc.

You could get one of the 'golden oldies' from the rescue centre. They only have a few years to live anyway, are usually very domesticated and in their twighlight years, so you can feel good about making their last years a pleasant time.

Downside is you'll be bereaved every couple of years.

Just some options, rather than going for the puppy,

JTL
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:49 pm
sel
~~~

Originally Posted by renth
That's right a Dane. Dogs not allowed in national parks.
Yeah, they do restrict where you can go quite a bit but there are other places they are allowed like in the state forests, beach camping etc but Im sure you would already know that ... good excuse for some time out aye
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Borrow mine anytime. We have a 19 month old Golden Retriever and a 3 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Your kids can get the experience of caring for a puppy as well as taking care of a dog. Oh, Chip (Cav) goes to bed at 11 and needs to be up by 5 to pee, poop and have a drink. He might go back to bed until 5:30 or 6, but gets hungry shortly after that. Moose (Golden) needs to be walked for at least 1/2 hour twice daily or he gets destructive.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

But they're fluffy and lovely . . . how could you be so hard-hearted to deny the kids?

Buy them one for Xmas as a surprise . . . they'll love you for it!

Those pet shops with the puppies in the window always have such a great selection from which to choose.

Last edited by spartacus; Sep 8th 2009 at 4:43 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Borrow mine anytime. We have a 19 month old Golden Retriever and a 3 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Your kids can get the experience of caring for a puppy as well as taking care of a dog. Oh, Chip (Cav) goes to bed at 11 and needs to be up by 5 to pee, poop and have a drink. He might go back to bed until 5:30 or 6, but gets hungry shortly after that. Moose (Golden) needs to be walked for at least 1/2 hour twice daily or he gets destructive.

Oh the joys, was woken by one of our at 5 am yesterday as a rat (bushland we get rats and snakes ) had snuck into the dog area. He had a large black rat by the rear end, smashing its head into the fence I retreived it with a doggy bag and dumped it in the bin, minus one leg that had fell off.

Dog looked so proud of protecting the homestead, big grin, whos a good boy look, you could almost forgive his rat breath
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Get one. Dogs rock and I think it's great for kids to grow up with one. We have a Labrador and we love him to bits - he is part of our family, loves kids and is very protective of my wife and son, which is great when I'm away.

Do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.