Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Burning the Australian Flag

Wikiposts

Burning the Australian Flag

Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:41 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Burning the Australian Flag

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1574071.htm

There's probably better links to explain this story, but this is the best I could come up with.

I personally find it disgusting, even as a non-Australian. The student behind it explained that burning the flag symbolised opposition to the Government and their views on Iraq, terror laws, the Cronulla riots ect and though I have some sympathy for his causes, I think this action is disgraceful and sends the wrong messages out during what is it difficult time.

They obviously want to inflame (sorry not a pun) the situation and this is a great way of doing so, however the little shits behind it simply come across as supporting those against Australia.

Additionally the Aussie flag is not a simple of the Goverment, it is a symbol of Australian history, culture and it's people. Burning the flag is not just an action against government, it is an action against those that built this country.

Anyone disagree?

Paul.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Burning the Australian Flag

Originally Posted by diddy
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1574071.htm

There's probably better links to explain this story, but this is the best I could come up with.

I personally find it disgusting, even as a non-Australian. The student behind it explained that burning the flag symbolised opposition to the Government and their views on Iraq, terror laws, the Cronulla riots ect and though I have some sympathy for his causes, I think this action is disgraceful and sends the wrong messages out during what is it difficult time.

They obviously want to inflame (sorry not a pun) the situation and this is a great way of doing so, however the little shits behind it simply come across as supporting those against Australia.

Additionally the Aussie flag is not a simple of the Goverment, it is a symbol of Australian history, culture and it's people. Burning the flag is not just an action against government, it is an action against those that built this country.

Anyone disagree?

Paul.
To me the flag means nothing. So I could not careless. I would rather see effigy's of government ministers burnt instead.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 6:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Burning the Australian Flag

I'm a proud Aussie, but I couldn't care less about people who burn the flag.

They have a right to protest, and as long as they're doing this in a manner that isn't racist, violent, or contrived to incite racism and violence, then fair play to 'em; they can burn the Aussie flag all day long, and I won't bat an eyelid.

When I see how people protest in other countries (overturning cars and setting them alight; pelting the cops with stones; hurling molotov cocktails; smashing windows on the high street; beating up the local punters, etc.) I consider my country to be getting off lightly with a good old-fashioned flag-burning.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Its about as disprespectful as wrapping yourself in a aussie flag in the sydney riots and chanting racist abuse, overturning cars, bashing cops, innocent bystanders, smashing up shops, all in the name of racism. The students selling flag kits is pretty tame in comparison at least their complaints about OZ are reasonable, not just racist rubbish. Just attention seeking on some fairly justified concerns, but yeah they could have gone about it in a nicer way, however its all about getting publicity for the cause.

Speaking of media publicity they dragged up some of howards comments from last december (2 days before the mass riots), howard made some good points but the white supremacy debate has started up again because of it, media must have been bored this week

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...55E601,00.html

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 19th 2006 at 6:27 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dshole
To me the flag means nothing. So I could not careless. I would rather see effigy's of government ministers burnt instead.
A giant stuffed Howard was burnt in the workplace reform demonstrations, it was a bloody good likeness too.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 6:38 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Burning the Australian Flag

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Its about as disprespectful as wrapping yourself in a aussie flag in the sydney riots and chanting racist abuse, overturning cars, bashing cops, innocent bystanders, smashing up shops, all in the name of racism. The students selling flag kits is pretty tame in comparison at least their complaints about OZ are reasonable, not just racist rubbish. Just attention seeking on some fairly justified concerns, but yeah they could have gone about it in a nicer way, however its all about getting publicity for the cause.

Speaking of media publicity they dragged up some of howards comments from last december (2 days before the mass riots), howard made some good points but the white supremacy debate has started up again because of it, media must have been bored this week

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...55E601,00.html
How many cars were overturned and burned during the recent riots in Sydney?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
How many cars were overturned and burned during the recent riots in Sydney?
Post didnt say burned said overturned. We have a better class of yobbo here
Old Feb 19th 2006, 6:55 pm
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Burning the Australian Flag

Post didnt say burned said overturned. We have a better class of yobbo here
Not like the UK, then.

So... how many were overturned?

I agree with you on the flag-burning kits. The kids who join Resistance are usually idealistic uni students who wish they lived in a country that really oppressed people!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Not like the UK, then.

So... how many were overturned?

Depends what you watched 40/ 60 or most of several streets.

I dont see your point, are you saying race riots are better here because in the sydney riots cars were written off but its OK cause they were not burnt?

Ok vash, australias all fine and dandy cause the naughty little boys didnt burn cars, maybe the 5000 rioters were just having a picnic.

To me tho, a racist vandal is an asshole be it a uk one or an aussie one.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:06 pm
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: Burning the Australian Flag

Depends what you watched 40/ 60 or most of several streets.
That's odd, because I've read many media reports and can't find any mention of overturned cars. Vandalised cars, yes. Cars with shots fired into them, yes. Overturned cars, no.

I'm not saying there weren't any overturned cars; I'm just saying that I can't find any record of this in the media reports.

I dont see your point, are you saying race riots are better here because in the sydney riots cars were written off but its OK cause they were not burnt?

Ok vash, australias all fine and dandy cause the naughty little boys didnt burn cars, maybe the 5000 rioters were just having a picnic.

To me tho, a racist vandal is an asshole be it a uk one or an aussie one.
I'm not saying anything of the sort!

Good grief, it was a tongue-in-cheek comment, with wink appended to preclude any ambiguity. Too bad you missed it.

Take a chill pill.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:58 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

flag burning kits to be sold to students
I kid you not
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

The sybolism is totally lost on me.

They're not burning the aussie flag, they're burning their flag. They went to the flag shop and bought it, then set their flag on fire.

The world's gone mad.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:30 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

I hope all of these disrespectful bastards who buy the kit and set fire to the flag, set themselves alight as well.

Removing themselves from the gene pool would be no bad thing!!

Last edited by Scossie; Feb 19th 2006 at 10:11 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:37 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie
I hope all of these disrespectful bastards why buy the kit and set fire to the flag, set themselves alight as well.

Removing themselves from the gene pool would be no bad thing!!

Bloody oath. Bunch of ****wits.

I heard a spokesman on radio and it was pathetic, then alot of other 20 somethings got on the radio and said they defiantly dont speak for us, we are not like that have respect for what the flag stand for and for the people that have fought under it.

$20 there dreadlocked tree hugging hippys that go from protest to protest.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:59 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Lock them up and throw away the key to whoever burns the flag...

Last edited by Boomerang; Feb 19th 2006 at 10:05 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.