Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bulling English Children

Bulling English Children

Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all
Default Re: Bulling English Children

sweeping generalisations about Australian standards of education, skills and experience?

This is what i am paid to do, and for your info, i had one of the best results in Adelaide in doing it,[/COLOR]

what it's worth, I attended a private school , OK

Hang-ups about not being British? What hang-ups?

Well if you didnt have hang ups about it you would display Mutual respect for your fellow countrymen with pride,

My father was English; my maternal grandfather was English; I'm an Australian-born British national with a British passport. I spent nearly 6 years in the UK, where I met and married my English wife, and had my first child. "Not experience a lot"? LOL...

No you haven’t that’s all very normal

I use the word "Pom", but never in a derogatory sense, and I've even been called a Pom myself. I think the real problem here is your own insecurity.

i don’t have any insecurity about being British , about being called a Pom , I am Not one , it’s not my hereditary , if it was i would be proud of it.

If this makes me look "intellectual", I'll take it as a compliment. It's not my fault I had a good education and learned to speak English properly.

He he, face to face this would not apply, and in life that’s what matters. And was this done at your Public School in the UK.

No, I was too busy working. [/QUOTE] what at ........ Being a Hopeful.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:16 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by milly123
sweeping generalisations about Australian standards of education, skills and experience?

This is what i am paid to do, and for your info, i had one of the best results in Adelaide in doing it,[/COLOR]

what it's worth, I attended a private school , OK

Hang-ups about not being British? What hang-ups?

Well if you didnt have hang ups about it you would display Mutual respect for your fellow countrymen with pride,

My father was English; my maternal grandfather was English; I'm an Australian-born British national with a British passport. I spent nearly 6 years in the UK, where I met and married my English wife, and had my first child. "Not experience a lot"? LOL...

No you haven’t that’s all very normal

I use the word "Pom", but never in a derogatory sense, and I've even been called a Pom myself. I think the real problem here is your own insecurity.

i don’t have any insecurity about being British , about being called a Pom , I am Not one , it’s not my hereditary , if it was i would be proud of it.

If this makes me look "intellectual", I'll take it as a compliment. It's not my fault I had a good education and learned to speak English properly.

He he, face to face this would not apply, and in life that’s what matters. And was this done at your Public School in the UK.

No, I was too busy working. what at ........ Being a Hopeful
I get the feeling you screwed up a few of the quotes there, as this doesn't make a lot of sense at the moment. Comments from yourself and other posters are indistinguishable.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Feb 10th 2011 at 7:22 am.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
what at ........ Being a Hopeful.
I get the feeling you screwed up a few of the quotes there, as this doesn't make a lot of sense at the moment. Comments from yourself and other posters are indistinguishable.[/QUOTE]

I hope no one is going to ask me to sort it out. I'm cooking dinner.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kim67
Third generation on two lines and sixth on the other lines. Both my parents and all four grandparents were born here. Some of my G Grandparents were not.

OK, So you are a POM...........
If what most Australians believe the word means, is Prisoner of his majesties service.

According to the History
Between 1788 and 1850 the English sent over 162,000 convicts to Australia in 806 ships. The first eleven of these ships are today known as the First Fleet and contained the convicts and marines that are now acknowledged as the Founders of Australia,

Supposably PHOM was stamped on the back of a convicts uniform, the other opinion is of a Pomegranate, that favoured the British fair Looks.

So if we go with what most of the Australians believe the word means, and they are True blue Australian with generations of history and heritage here in Australia, Why call the new British immigrants a POM , when its not our heritage, our great grandfathers etc did not endear the pain and suffering and the building of a new world that gives the True Australians there right to Be called a POM,
I don’t see it as a derogatory word, I see it as someone else’s heritage, that i do not yet deserve.
my heritage is in the uk.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

I get the feeling you screwed up a few of the quotes there, as this doesn't make a lot of sense at the moment. Comments from yourself and other posters are indistinguishable.
Yes sorry , does not match does it, Tired from work.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:52 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read all the replies on this thread, but FWIW I don't find being called a Pom remotely offensive!

I get refered to as the Pommy copper at work.
Or, as the other day "oh you mean that Pommie chick from South Bank with the nice legs" so I was happy with that!
I also get called the Queen or HRH or Your Majesty, cos I'm a Pom. A picture of the Queen appeared on my locker. So I just play along with it and tell people they should courtsey and I brought in a mug at work (to drink my tea from!) with a union flag on the front and the text 'God save the Queen'.
It's all just a bit of fun. They love it.

But it's usually in good fun, I've never had a negative connotation with it, but everyone takes the piss out of everyone where I work. There's an Aussie/Egyptian fella who gets called a camel jockey. And there's a German guy who constantly has the piss taken out of his accent. But we all laugh at all of us and all join in the fun. I guess you can do that when you're a pretty tight knit team.

People who I come across in my job often ask me where I'm from and usually I'll say England, but occassionally I'll say I'm a Pom. The usual reaction is a very positive one, wanting to know where abouts, and saying their parent/grandparent etc is from the UK.

Don't see a problem with it myself, and can't see why others get their knickers in a twist about it?
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
I haven't read all the replies on this thread, but FWIW I don't find being called a Pom remotely offensive!

I get refered to as the Pommy copper at work.
Or, as the other day "oh you mean that Pommie chick from South Bank with the nice legs" so I was happy with that!
I also get called the Queen or HRH or Your Majesty, cos I'm a Pom. A picture of the Queen appeared on my locker. So I just play along with it and tell people they should courtsey and I brought in a mug at work (to drink my tea from!) with a union flag on the front and the text 'God save the Queen'.
It's all just a bit of fun. They love it.

But it's usually in good fun, I've never had a negative connotation with it, but everyone takes the piss out of everyone where I work. There's an Aussie/Egyptian fella who gets called a camel jockey. And there's a German guy who constantly has the piss taken out of his accent. But we all laugh at all of us and all join in the fun. I guess you can do that when you're a pretty tight knit team.

People who I come across in my job often ask me where I'm from and usually I'll say England, but occassionally I'll say I'm a Pom. The usual reaction is a very positive one, wanting to know where abouts, and saying their parent/grandparent etc is from the UK.

Don't see a problem with it myself, and can't see why others get their knickers in a twist about it?
Well explained... maybe some people just clam up at the first use of the word. I'm still having a lot of difficulty understanding how some people can have an issue with the use of the word Pom.

Some people I'm sure would think the term Camel Jockey is derogatory... and it could well be seen that way. It really does come down to how people interact. I think a lot of the onus for causing division lies with the people that dont/cant/refuse to recognise friendly interaction.

Maybe they don't want to fit in ?
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:15 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

The only issue I can remember having with the Pom term, was a few years back on NYE or was it Christmas?? The Daily Tellie had a headline that said "DIRTY POMS" as the youngsters had trashed Bondi beach, and I ALMOST but didn't, couldn't be bothered, wrote a letter to the editor.....

Can you imagine the outcry if the headline had said "DIRTY PAKI'S" or "DIRTY ABO'S?" or even "DIRTY WOGS" but the headlines never say that, so it's all OK I suppose, we just have to wear it....
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milly123
OK, So you are a POM...........
If what most Australians believe the word means, is Prisoner of his majesties service.

According to the History
Between 1788 and 1850 the English sent over 162,000 convicts to Australia in 806 ships. The first eleven of these ships are today known as the First Fleet and contained the convicts and marines that are now acknowledged as the Founders of Australia,

Supposably PHOM was stamped on the back of a convicts uniform, the other opinion is of a Pomegranate, that favoured the British fair Looks.

So if we go with what most of the Australians believe the word means, and they are True blue Australian with generations of history and heritage here in Australia, Why call the new British immigrants a POM , when its not our heritage, our great grandfathers etc did not endear the pain and suffering and the building of a new world that gives the True Australians there right to Be called a POM,
I don’t see it as a derogatory word, I see it as someone else’s heritage, that i do not yet deserve.
my heritage is in the uk.
No I am Australian. And the the great Grandparents that weren't born here were Italian and Irish. The first settlers in my family tree were convicts and free settlers and were the parents of Australian Children. So the only Australians according to you are full blooded indigenous Australians (and there are very few of them) or are they Asian according to you? They too came here on boats across the ocean.

It's contentious whether Pom actually stands for Prisoners of Mother England and the word pom has always been used in everyone's living memory as a person from the England.

Last edited by Kim67; Feb 10th 2011 at 9:24 am.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
The only issue I can remember having with the Pom term, was a few years back on NYE or was it Christmas?? The Daily Tellie had a headline that said "DIRTY POMS" as the youngsters had trashed Bondi beach, and I ALMOST but didn't, couldn't be bothered, wrote a letter to the editor.....

Can you imagine the outcry if the headline had said "DIRTY PAKI'S" or "DIRTY ABO'S?" or even "DIRTY WOGS" but the headlines never say that, so it's all OK I suppose, we just have to wear it....
While I can see the point you are making I don't think those words are equivalent. I think the equivalents would be Dirty Kiwis, Dirty Yanks.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
While I can see the point you are making I don't think those words are equivalent. I think the equivalents would be Dirty Kiwis, Dirty Yanks.
I"d say the relationship between the UK and Aus is almost as close as to say ....

Dirty Cockneys, Dirty Scousers, Dirty Jocks
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
The individual could think it is the most racist term on earth but that is irrelevant. It is society's view that counts.
Not according to the act. It is whether the person was insulted/humilitated that counts. To prove this in court would need forensic psychologist reports and if this can be proved, in the eyes of the court, that is all that matters.

You cannot expect to win a claim of racism if someone in public calls you an "apple" and you happen to find the word apple extremely insulting.
This is where our wires are crossed. You are talking about winning a claim, I am talking about charging someone with the criminal offence and getting a conviction. Two different things and the balance of proof required are different between civil/state action and the legislation doesn't apply to civil claims.

Maybe we should start thinking about agreeing to disagree before everyone starts enjoying our fairly pointless but fun discussion too much You have full right of reply though of course
Always love a good debate.

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Feb 10th 2011 at 9:57 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I"d say the relationship between the UK and Aus is almost as close as to say ....

Dirty Cockneys, Dirty Scousers, Dirty Jocks
Absolutely rediculous statement, dirty cockneys!! how insulting

Norterners on the other hand are positively filthy
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevenglish
Absolutely rediculous statement, dirty cockneys!! how insulting

Norterners on the other hand are positively filthy
What with workin' daarn pit, mucking out the pigeons, polishing our ferrets and walkin't whippet we've no time for any of that washing rubbish.... its only for nancy boys anyway.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:20 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

What with workin' daarn pit, mucking out the pigeons, polishing our ferrets and walkin't whippet we've no time for any of that washing rubbish.... its only for nancy boys anyway.
And all that muck helps keep yer warm in t'winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.