Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bulling English Children

Bulling English Children

Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all
Default Re: Bulling English Children

Originally Posted by Kim67
Milly, you really do need to get out more. A lot of the people I know in Australia have lived and worked overseas. In fact, three of the five siblings in my family have, and we are all born and bred here and not entitled to any other passport. And not one of my friends would every use the term that you have used, pom for sure, but not the other language. For goodness sake, most of us don't even notice the presence of other cultures here as we've grown up in such a multi cultural society. As for the public school accent, I don't mind it on certain people, but my son developed it for a bit and would say "mummy, may I have an iced lolly" and "mummy, may have have a sweetie". It drove me insane and I couldn't wait for him to regain his aussie accent and say "mum, gees a bloody icy pole and some bloody lollies will ya".
As my other post stated, May be we have known different types of people on each side of the world, In my Experience which is predominately Adelaide up to now , i have found that people have not travelled, and whilst working overseas myself, I have not encountered any Australians in the work force. Used the Term I have used???????????
I have repeated someone else post about a Term an Australian has used, and like you been shocked by it.

Multi Cultural, I am British from Blackpool, next to Preston and lived in South Africa for 4+ yrs and Europe.....

My daughter, who has schooled in Adelaide for the past 4 yrs, heard the word Pom every day, not always directed at her, She has been in school 3 /4 weeks here on the GC and not yet heard it once, so like you have pointed out maybe it’s different places, too early for me to recognise yet.

You have stated Born & bred Australian, How many generations?
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Since the introduction of provisions dealing with racial hatred in 1995, [3] the Racial Discrimination Act makes it unlawful to insult, humiliate, offend or intimidate another person or group in public on the basis of their race. Specifically, the Act states:

It is unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if:
(a) the act is reasonably likely in all the circumstances to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or group of people, and
(b) the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person or some or all of the people in the group. [4]

A variety of acts can constitute racial hatred, including speaking, singing and making gestures in public, as well as drawings, images, and written publications such as newspapers, leaflets and websites.

Fluffy & open to interpretation.
According to that act, calling the British Poms is illegal.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milly123

As for the abuse , no i would not tongue in cheek it ...... i would be direct and show my overlay sensitive ways , so next time they would think twice, to their lack of understanding of their own heritage.
I wasn't saying reply tongue in cheek to the abuse - only if someone is being light hearted in the first place not using those swear words in an aggressive manner.

Most do understand where they came from, they wouldn't be insulted by your reply or care...you should start a thread for suggested comebacks as there is some funny people on here

Last edited by fish.01; Feb 9th 2011 at 10:10 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
According to that act, calling the British Poms is illegal.
maybe you should file a lawsuit like that aussie guy in the UK did.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

As my other post stated, May be we have known different types of people on each side of the world, In my Experience which is predominately Adelaide up to now , i have found that people have not travelled, and whilst working overseas myself, I have not encountered any Australians in the work force. Used the Term I have used???????????
I have repeated someone else post about a Term an Australian has used, and like you been shocked by it.

Multi Cultural, I am British from Blackpool, next to Preston and lived in South Africa for 4+ yrs and Europe.....

My daughter, who has schooled in Adelaide for the past 4 yrs, heard the word Pom every day, not always directed at her, She has been in school 3 /4 weeks here on the GC and not yet heard it once, so like you have pointed out maybe it’s different places, too early for me to recognise yet.

You have stated Born & bred Australian, How many generations?
Third generation on two lines and sixth on the other lines. Both my parents and all four grandparents were born here. Some of my G Grandparents were not.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
maybe you should file a lawsuit like that aussie guy in the UK did.
I've got a thicker skin than that! Besides, the Aussies don't give me any stick at all. Can't remember the last time I was called a pom.

Good to keep in mind thought the next time TV sports commentators start calling the Poms Poms.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to find that the sneering anti-pom brigade seem to be more vocal and agressive when there are major sporting events on. Especially cricket. And the olympics time is generally awful as the only objective seems to beat the poms at all costs, and athletes actually openly say they don't care what happens as long as they dont get beaten by a pom.

People just get so over-competitive. Didn't notice it in the UK so much as obviously it wouldnt be directed at me in Scotland (and in my experience most people couldn't give a toss about the ashes there!) Now i get to the point where i just want to leave Australia when its on.

The gutter press/media don't help when they consistently refer to the poms as being the 'enemy' and so on. They just love to stir it up.
I'm sure this works both ways and there are plenty of ignorant Brits who are just as bad in the uk. Doesn't make it a nice environment or right though. The over-competitive environment just seems to bring out the worst in a lot of people.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:37 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Bulling English Children

I didn’t realise my spelling and my punctuation was such a problem to you Well since you are going to judge me by it , I have an excuse Dyslexia......
Yeah, I guess that's an excuse. Perhaps it's not a good idea for someone with dyslexia to make sweeping generalisations about Australian standards of education, skills and experience? Just a suggestion.

So I will judge you, everybody who has been to Public school, clearly knows of a public school accent.
You're confusing description with meaning. They are not the same. And for what it's worth, I attended a private school (or "public school", to use the British term) when I was a child. I knew exactly what you meant.

Reading through your posts, you really have not experience a lot, you have a hang up about not being British, hence the Pom thing all the time, the cricket and the thought of you being able to speak better English than us who are proud to say we are.
Hangups about not being British? What hangups?

My father was English; my maternal grandfather was English; I'm an Australian-born British national with a British passport. I spent nearly 6 years in the UK, where I met and married my English wife, and had my first child. "Not experience a lot"? LOL...

I use the word "Pom", but never in a derogatory sense, and I've even been called a Pom myself. I think the real problem here is your own insecurity.

Maybe I should Judge on your life style if you think you have the right to judge on my Dyslexia, are you saying because i cart spell very well I am not welcome. That would be like me saying you don’t Earn $200000 per yr so you are not welcome to give advice.
Judge me any way you like; I don't care. You know nothing about me beyond what you've read on this forum, and you obviously haven't even read enough of that.

My open opinions were about a racist comment against a fellow country man, on a British forum, for this you attack my spelling and grammar.
I didn't attack anything. I made an ironic juxtaposition. The word "Pom" is not racist (the English are not a race) and 90% of the time it is used in a lighthearted manner.

In the real world ... my dyslexia does not affect me, only to the ignorant. And with this in mind you would not believe what I do for a living, in which in SA I was constantly being approached by the competition to jump ship, and when I applied for 5 jobs in the gold coast and was offered all 5 in the space of two weeks, my Dyslexia was not a problem again, You give advise on here, in a highly Intellectually way, WHY , do you think this makes you look good , as you know where all your woolworths products come from, You need a Life......
This was all rather strange and aggressive. You seen very insecure for some reason. I don't recall asking for your life story, and I don't see how it's relevant to this thread.

I write in the same way that I speak. If this makes me look "intellectual", I'll take it as a compliment. It's not my fault I had a good education and learned to speak English properly.

Oh Sorry did i see you at the Ashes......
No, I was too busy working.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Feb 9th 2011 at 10:39 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've got a thicker skin than that! Besides, the Aussies don't give me any stick at all. Can't remember the last time I was called a pom.

Good to keep in mind thought the next time TV sports commentators start calling the Poms Poms.
think it best you get a lawyer to have a once over first
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
think it best you get a lawyer to have a once over first
Since the introduction of provisions dealing with racial hatred in 1995, [3] the Racial Discrimination Act makes it unlawful to insult, humiliate, offend or intimidate another person or group in public on the basis of their race. Specifically, the Act states:

(a) the act is reasonably likely in all the circumstances to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or group of people, and
(b) the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person or some or all of the people in the group. [4]

A variety of acts can constitute racial hatred, including speaking, singing and making gestures in public, as well as drawings, images, and written publications such as newspapers, leaflets and websites.

Says it all really. Don't need a lawyer for that.

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Feb 9th 2011 at 11:47 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:49 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

(Revised Marking) Looks like the thread has had the desired effect 7/10 to the OP
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:50 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

(a) the act is reasonably likely in all the circumstances to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or group of people
All you'd have to do is point them at this forum for evidence that poms are reasonably likely to be offended at being called poms! 'Whinging pom' should get a mandatory life sentence I reckon.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
All you'd have to do is point them at this forum for evidence that poms are reasonably likely to be offended at being called poms! 'Whinging pom' should get a mandatory life sentence I reckon.
I concur.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
(Revised Marking) Looks like the thread has had the desired effect 7/10 to the OP
I'd give him at the very least an 8+. A highly qualified wind up merchant, you don't see the like of much any more.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Says it all really. Don't need a lawyer for that.
All that bolding and underlining was wasted on me...been discussed on here too many times already to not have seen it Still think you should run past a lawyer despite your interpretation...they could check existing judgements for you

Last edited by fish.01; Feb 10th 2011 at 1:00 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.