Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bulling English Children

Bulling English Children

Old Feb 9th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all
Default Re: Bulling English Children

Originally Posted by fish.01
Suggest it is people you know
Not at all, i know a lot of people from all walks of life, with my job and clubs etc. And a lot say they struggle to move over sea's.
Again my point being , if some one said you f###### Retarded Pom and that is was a Joke, would common decency and pride not make you point out there week points, and ferral ways.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milly123
Not at all, i know a lot of people from all walks of life, with my job and clubs etc. And a lot say they struggle to move over sea's.
Again my point being , if some one said you f###### Retarded Pom and that is was a Joke, would common decency and pride not make you point out there week points, and ferral ways.
I have many australian born friends over 40 and most of them have worked overseas....in fact almost every one of them. Many have great education and skills...very similar to my British friends of the same age though the Australians have generally travelled more - mainly due to the distance from Europe leading to a tradition of long travels

As to the abuse....no point replying with a monologue to someone who abuses you like that...they wouldn't be interested and wouldn't understand your context anyway. On the other hand if it was said tongue in cheek then I would answer back tongue in cheek...being careful not to come across as overly sensitive and nationalistic but instead to take the mick back with a twinkle in the eye. Always gets the best result and keeps the conversation light which was the original intention.

Last edited by fish.01; Feb 9th 2011 at 1:10 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:14 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Fair enough. I disagree but that's your opinion. Many British people are anti-foreigner - whether they are a majority I do not know.
I know.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:20 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Bulling English Children

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Only a non-Brit could possibly ask that
Nonsense. I know what she means. She's just expressed it very poorly. There is no such thing as a "public school accent." There is, however, a precise and highly distinct form of pronunciation which is commonly taught in public schools.

My maternal grandfather was educated at Wellington, and though Norfolk born and bred, he did not have a Norfolk accent. Instead he spoke in a clear form of RP, as he had been taught.

My parents taught me to speak in the same way, and I copped a fair bit of grief during my school years for "sounding like a Pom." When I moved to the UK in 2004, I had great difficulty understanding people from the West Midlands and Black Country because so many of them have never learned to speak English properly and their regional accent only makes matters worse. By contrast, they thought I was "posh."

The British would still be excepted more , due to there Education , skills etc.
The irony is palpable.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fish.01
I have many australian born friends over 40 and
As to the abuse....no point replying with a monologue to someone who abuses you like that...they wouldn't be interested and wouldn't understand .
MY experience is totally different, Having lived overseas In south Africa and Europe, again i have not come across many Australians in the working environment, Also when in the uk and being in the travel industry, and travelling to the usa, again this was not something i encountered. And as i have stated my Australian friends here have struggled,
Again with travel i found more British have widely travelled , hence the demand for flights. But like you said it may be the people we knew each side of the world,

As for the abuse , no i would not tongue in cheek it ...... i would be direct and show my overlay sensitive ways , so next time they would think twice, to their lack of understanding of their own heritage.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
The irony is palpable.

I didn’t realise my spelling and my punctuation was such a problem to you Well since you are going to judge me by it , I have an excuse Dyslexia......

So I will judge you, everybody who has been to Public school, clearly knows of a public school accent.
Reading through your posts, you really have not experience a lot, you have a hang up about not being British, hence the Pom thing all the time, the cricket and the thought of you being able to speak better English than us who are proud to say we are. Maybe I should Judge on your life style if you think you have the right to judge on my Dyslexia, are you saying because i cart spell very well I am not welcome. That would be like me saying you don’t Earn $200000 per yr so you are not welcome to give advice.
My open opinions were about a racist comment against a fellow country man, on a British forum, for this you attack my spelling and grammar.
In the real world ... my dyslexia does not affect me, only to the ignorant. And with this in mind you would not believe what I do for a living, in which in SA I was constantly being approached by the competition to jump ship, and when I applied for 5 jobs in the gold coast and was offered all 5 in the space of two weeks, my Dyslexia was not a problem again, You give advise on here, in a highly Intellectually way, WHY , do you think this makes you look good , as you know where all your woolworths products come from, You need a Life...... Oh Sorry did i see you at the Ashes......

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 9th 2011 at 2:59 pm. Reason: fixing the quotes
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:53 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I didn’t realise my spelling and my punctuation was such a problem to you Well since you are going to judge me by it , I have an excuse Dyslexia......

So I will judge you, everybody who has been to Public school, clearly knows of a public school accent.
Reading through your posts, you really have not experience a lot, you have a hang up about not being British, hence the Pom thing all the time, the cricket and the thought of you being able to speak better English than us who are proud to say we are. Maybe I should Judge on your life style if you think you have the right to judge on my Dyslexia, are you saying because i cart spell very well I am not welcome. That would be like me saying you don’t Earn $200000 per yr so you are not welcome to give advice.
My open opinions were about a racist comment against a fellow country man, on a British forum, for this you attack my spelling and grammar.
In the real world ... my dyslexia does not affect me, only to the ignorant. And with this in mind you would not believe what I do for a living, in which in SA I was constantly being approached by the competition to jump ship, and when I applied for 5 jobs in the gold coast and was offered all 5 in the space of two weeks, my Dyslexia was not a problem again, You give advise on here, in a highly Intellectually way, WHY , do you think this makes you look good , as you know where all your woolworths products come from, You need a Life...... Oh Sorry did i see you at the Ashes......
You must forgive him,he's marooned in Adelaide

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 9th 2011 at 2:59 pm. Reason: Fixing the quotes
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
You must forgive him,he's marooned in Adelaide
, Yes there is that, and He is in the hot bit (north) , Maybe the sun has gone to his head.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Nonsense. I know what she means. She's just expressed it very poorly. There is no such thing as a "public school accent." There is, however, a precise and highly distinct form of pronunciation which is commonly taught in public schools.

When I moved to the UK in 2004, I had great difficulty understanding people from the West Midlands and Black Country because so many of them have never learned to speak English properly and their regional accent only makes matters worse. By contrast, they thought I was "posh."

Pointing out to the good folk of the West Midlands that they "never learned to speak English properly".... I bet that went down well.

As for....
Nonsense. I know what she means. She's just expressed it very poorly. There is no such thing as a "public school accent."

Sorry, but dead wrong. Every Brit will understand the concept of the "public school accent", regardless of what that actually means. She expressed it just fine.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:22 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Pointing out to the good folk of the West Midlands that they "never learned to speak English properly".... I bet that went down well.

As for Nonsense. I know what she means. She's just expressed it very poorly. There is no such thing as a "public school accent."
Sorry, but dead wrong. Every Brit will understand the concept of the "public school accent", regardless of what that actually means. She expressed it just fine.
I agree with the meaning of the "public school accent" concept, most definitely.

As for the regional accents, well I just love them myself and I really miss hearing all of them, well maybe not one or two. I love the way you can go a few miles down the road and there is a whole different accent.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I agree with the meaning of the "public school accent" concept, most definitely.

As for the regional accents, well I just love them myself and I really miss hearing all of them, well maybe not one or two. I love the way you can go a few miles down the road and there is a whole different accent.
I'm from central Manchester, my wifes from Oldham. Just six miles away, but totally different accents
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:51 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from central Manchester, my wifes from Oldham. Just six miles away, but totally different accents
And I am from 30 miles away and speak a whole different language.

When we were younger our Manc cousins and my lot used to pretend we couldn't understand each other and imitate each other's accents, very badly I have to say LOL!!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Beedubya
And I am from 30 miles away and speak a whole different language.

When we were younger our Manc cousins and my lot used to pretend we couldn't understand each other and imitate each other's accents, very badly I have to say LOL!!
You might have been pretending... but the Mancs really couldn't understand you.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:56 pm
Home Sweet Home

You might have been pretending... but the Mancs really couldn't understand you.
Ha Ha!!!!

Well I still have trouble here too sometimes!! May as well go back home then.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Milly, you really do need to get out more. A lot of the people I know in Australia have lived and worked overseas. In fact, three of the five siblings in my family have, and we are all born and bred here and not entitled to any other passport. And not one of my friends would every use the term that you have used, pom for sure, but not the other language. For goodness sake, most of us don't even notice the presence of other cultures here as we've grown up in such a multi cultural society. As for the public school accent, I don't mind it on certain people, but my son developed it for a bit and would say "mummy, may I have an iced lolly" and "mummy, may have have a sweetie". It drove me insane and I couldn't wait for him to regain his aussie accent and say "mum, gees a bloody icy pole and some bloody lollies will ya".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.