Wikiposts

Build Your Own PC?

Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Build Your Own PC?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I'm lead to believe that the once every couple of months Medion desktops they sell at Aldi are very good. I have no personal experience of them however.

I usually build my own PC's - Interesting to see that it works out more expensive to do that here. Do these costs factor in the cost of the operating systems, software and all that jazz?

Being a bit of a nerdy geek, I usually strip off the pre-loaded windows drivel and re-partition my disk with a couple of separate drives - one for the OS, one for apps and another for data etc.

Anyway, to my point, I'm looki ng for a new, larger 2.5" hard disk for my IBM Thinkpad. Anyideas where I may pick one up?

S

Yes definitely, they are heavily media based though, which in my mind is a good thing. I cannot find it at present but there is a EBAY seller that sells the returns at 400 dollars cheaper than the ALDI price.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:56 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm lead to believe that the once every couple of months Medion desktops they sell at Aldi are very good. I have no personal experience of them however.

I usually build my own PC's - Interesting to see that it works out more expensive to do that here. Do these costs factor in the cost of the operating systems, software and all that jazz?

Being a bit of a nerdy geek, I usually strip off the pre-loaded windows drivel and re-partition my disk with a couple of separate drives - one for the OS, one for apps and another for data etc.

Anyway, to my point, I'm looki ng for a new, larger 2.5" hard disk for my IBM Thinkpad. Anyideas where I may pick one up?

S
Not all include the cost of the OS, Many a time I've been reading an advert and thinking...How the F do they sell it that cheap when I cant even buy the bits from the distributors for that? Then I find out either it doesn't include an OS (which means how can they test it properly) OR They include a counterfit version.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 10:35 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Not all include the cost of the OS, Many a time I've been reading an advert and thinking...How the F do they sell it that cheap when I cant even buy the bits from the distributors for that? Then I find out either it doesn't include an OS (which means how can they test it properly) OR They include a counterfit version.
That's true, when I built this one the front usb ports wouldn't work. After trying everything I contacted the supplier who informed me that they were aware of that problem and couldn't resolve it. A couple of days later a shiny new usb card arrived free of charge. It didn't solve the problem entirely as I then had to choose what else to sacrifice to install it. It's been fine now for nearly 4 yrs apart from the XP pro disc it came with must have been a counterfeit as I now have the nice blue star [ Windows Genuine Advantage Notification]
Most of the systems I've seen have the dreaded Norton suite installed, I dislike it a lot and would, given the choice, opt out of having it.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 10:53 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
That's true, when I built this one the front usb ports wouldn't work. After trying everything I contacted the supplier who informed me that they were aware of that problem and couldn't resolve it. A couple of days later a shiny new usb card arrived free of charge. It didn't solve the problem entirely as I then had to choose what else to sacrifice to install it. It's been fine now for nearly 4 yrs apart from the XP pro disc it came with must have been a counterfeit as I now have the nice blue star [ Windows Genuine Advantage Notification]
Most of the systems I've seen have the dreaded Norton suite installed, I dislike it a lot and would, given the choice, opt out of having it.

Yes, I made the mistake of installing Norton on my thinkpad. The only advantage is the Antivirus definition updates. Unfortunately, the rest of it is a complete pain, especially when it suddenly decides that now is the time to perform a complete system check, and just starts it without asking. I'm sure there must be a prompt somewhere, but I don't have the patience for it.

What's the Blue Star business? I've never experienced that before, even on machines that I know have hacked MS software on.

S
Old Aug 20th 2006, 10:57 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I made the mistake of installing Norton on my thinkpad. The only advantage is the Antivirus definition updates. Unfortunately, the rest of it is a complete pain, especially when it suddenly decides that now is the time to perform a complete system check, and just starts it without asking. I'm sure there must be a prompt somewhere, but I don't have the patience for it.

What's the Blue Star business? I've never experienced that before, even on machines that I know have hacked MS software on.

S
It's an auto update from the nice guys at Microsoft it installs on your pc and tells you you have a counterfeit OS. Mine should be genuine It certainly looks like a genuine one hologram etc. Could be just that it was registered in the U.K and now it's popped up online in Australia. Either way it's to much hassle to attempt to delete it from the registry when I'm looking to update to a new system.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 11:03 pm
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cresta57
I've spent ages looking at the different deals, nothing looks like what I want so I'm going to build my own again.After reading threads about not being able to get the parts here in Aust I'm wondering if it's a good idea.
As I'm so out of touch with what's hot and whats not, where's the best reliable places to source the necessary parts and what should I be looking at spec wise?

Only just looked at this thread and read only a bit of it, but just wanted to let you know that i worked for a very big semi conductor manufacturer and they gave us all a class in building your own PC.
went on for a full day, very good and at the end of the class they gave us all a free computer chip of our choice. Any chip we wanted, and then gave us all the info we required to go off and build our own bells and whistles PC.
As we were about to leave the class we were then informed that it was way cheaper to buy a PC to required spec than it was to build your own PC (even with the chip we were given)
Old Aug 20th 2006, 11:16 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tucs
Only just looked at this thread and read only a bit of it, but just wanted to let you know that i worked for a very big semi conductor manufacturer and they gave us all a class in building your own PC.
went on for a full day, very good and at the end of the class they gave us all a free computer chip of our choice. Any chip we wanted, and then gave us all the info we required to go off and build our own bells and whistles PC.
As we were about to leave the class we were then informed that it was way cheaper to buy a PC to required spec than it was to build your own PC (even with the chip we were given)
The reasons it is cheaper to buy a complete system here is basically all components should be marked up anywhere from 10% to 30%, usuually you can't get all the parts from the same supplier so here postage becomes a big cost. So if I as a system builder were to just add up all the cost of the bits that make up a PC and then add on the markup per component plus recoup my postage costs the price of the PC would be somewhere between 30 and 40% HIGHER than what other companies especially DELL are selling them for. As you can appreciate noone here will buy based on quality so they buy on price and you just can't compete if you carry over the true markup. So instead we have to just build a system for our cost price and add an arbitary figure on for building it. Usually a pittance and frankly not really worth doing. The upshot is to build yourself here is much more expensive than back home.

Why the differenece between countries? It's because in the UK I had a one stop shop supplier for all the bits so not only did you incure a much smaller freight charge but postage full stop is a lot cheaper as a ratio of the cost of the bits back home. PLUS the UK really had got to grips with ecommerce for things like PC bits and the cost of them was much cheaper.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 11:23 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I've always built my own PC's, and in the UK, it usually worked out cheaper, particularly if you haunt around the Sunday computer fairs. Some real bargains to be picked up there. You can also specify your components, so that you know what you are getting, instead of relying on some of the rubbish that the dodgier unbranded clone manufacturers chuck into thier boxes (Not aimed at you Arkon).

If nothing else, it really helps you to learn how a computer works, and also how to trouleshoot if anything goes wrong. At the prices that the big chains charge to "Install" a new memory module or a graphics card.

But choosing your own chip! I'll have a 6502 please, just for the memories...

S
Old Aug 20th 2006, 11:29 pm
Tiny Member

But choosing your own chip! I'll have a 6502 please, just for the memories...

S
I am in the process of emigrating to Perth and when i left ireland i forgot to bring all the info on building your own PC with me. But there is a singing and dancing computer chip here in my hand (high end gamers chip) that i do not want. I have just emailed my old work pal and he will send me the info, i will get the chip details.
Any takers?
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:06 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

I am in the process of emigrating to Perth and when i left ireland i forgot to bring all the info on building your own PC with me. But there is a singing and dancing computer chip here in my hand (high end gamers chip) that i do not want. I have just emailed my old work pal and he will send me the info, i will get the chip details.
Any takers?
When you say chip do you mean litterally a chip or a circuit board? Eitherway what has it got written on it?
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:13 am
Tiny Member

When you say chip do you mean litterally a chip or a circuit board? Eitherway what has it got written on it?
The chip itself is mounted on a small board ready for pleuggin into the mother board. Number on it is only a serial number.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The reasons it is cheaper to buy a complete system here is basically all components should be marked up anywhere from 10% to 30%, usuually you can't get all the parts from the same supplier so here postage becomes a big cost. So if I as a system builder were to just add up all the cost of the bits that make up a PC and then add on the markup per component plus recoup my postage costs the price of the PC would be somewhere between 30 and 40% HIGHER than what other companies especially DELL are selling them for. As you can appreciate noone here will buy based on quality so they buy on price and you just can't compete if you carry over the true markup. So instead we have to just build a system for our cost price and add an arbitary figure on for building it. Usually a pittance and frankly not really worth doing. The upshot is to build yourself here is much more expensive than back home.

Why the differenece between countries? It's because in the UK I had a one stop shop supplier for all the bits so not only did you incure a much smaller freight charge but postage full stop is a lot cheaper as a ratio of the cost of the bits back home. PLUS the UK really had got to grips with ecommerce for things like PC bits and the cost of them was much cheaper.

Is it possible to supply a URL for your UK supplier, Reason I ask is I know some Taiwanese importers through freinds at the following URL www.ausuccess.com.au who work in the import business.... these guys know one another and seem to supply most of the trade down here in Melbourne. They sell the following products a hell of a lot cheaper at the swap meets.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 21st 2006 at 1:01 am.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 1:31 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Is it possible to supply a URL for your UK supplier, Reason I ask is I know some Taiwanese importers through freinds at the following URL www.ausuccess.com.au who work in the import business.... these guys know one another and seem to supply most of the trade down here in Melbourne. They sell the following products a hell of a lot cheaper at the swap meets.
Do you mean who did I buy bulk whosale PC bits from (Distributor) or the supplier I used to fill in bits I couldn't get easily elsewhere?
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Back2Oz is on a distinguished road

Just an opinion, but the core reason to build your own is not the upfront cost, but the reduction of upgrade costs. I've built PC's for myself, neighbours and friends, and the core focus is to build with a mind to stepup the machine every 18 months.

Over the last 2 years AMD were best in market for hobbyists, with the 939 64 bit chips, however recently Intel launched their duo series (conroes) and the whole viiv platform architecture, quite simple they're beyond compare. so much so I would suggest that your wasting your money unless you use the latest Intel Conroe chips with the ViiV platform. I would also suggest you consider building a Total media solution, take the Pc from the alcove to the centre of the Sitting Room!!!

A supplier I've used in Oz is techwarehouse.com.au

have a look at the forum http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/
or
http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Back2Oz is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah, my personnel tip, buy a relatiely small Hard drive to start as cheap as possible, and add more as needed. The size/cost ratio of hard drives is the fastest falling cost of all the parts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.