Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is the budget going to trigger a recession?

Is the budget going to trigger a recession?

Old Jun 4th 2014, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the budget going to trigger a recession?

And yesterday the economy was reported to be in fine shape for the 23rd (24th ?) year in a row. growth 1.5 ytd projected at 3.5 for the year.

In spite of ,not, because of, any of these incompetent , untruthful , recent Australian governments at state, federal --or local levels.

So we definitely need to chisel away at our OAP's already less than modest stipend , at all three levels of administration , Federal, State and Local , all at once.

The gov getting into medical research--right-- do they think the drug companies can't cope well enough in fleecing us already ???

Watch that space for the rorts to begin.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BASHO
And yesterday the economy was reported to be in fine shape for the 23rd (24th ?) year in a row. growth 1.5 ytd projected at 3.5 for the year.

In spite of ,not, because of, any of these incompetent , untruthful , recent Australian governments at state, federal --or local levels.

So we definitely need to chisel away at our OAP's already less than modest stipend , at all three levels of administration , Federal, State and Local , all at once.

The gov getting into medical research--right-- do they think the drug companies can't cope well enough in fleecing us already ???

Watch that space for the rorts to begin.
My elderly parents had a nice little super package. They never anticipated for a minute that they would need to rely on the govt. Then suddenly in 2008 all their super got wiped away because the foolishly had all their eggs in one basket. So now they are on the pension. They also wanted a little extra cash to go on holidays and buy a car that would see them through to death so they sold their city digs last year (their first down sizer) and moved 3 hours down the coast to their second downsizer to free up some cash. They moved away from all their family and friends. On the upside the got a great pad on the beach.

Not saying this is you Basho, but what I am saying is that I'm quite proud of my parents for taking it all on the chin and doing something about their situation, even though the preference was to remain in their city pad close to family and friends. I asked them the other day what they thought about TB's budget and they said "well we knew many years ago that govt pensions were going to be reduced, that's why we saved heavily for super. But now that we have no super, the pension is actually pretty good. A lot more than we expected"
Old Jun 5th 2014, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
My elderly parents had a nice little super package. They never anticipated for a minute that they would need to rely on the govt. Then suddenly in 2008 all their super got wiped away because the foolishly had all their eggs in one basket. So now they are on the pension. They also wanted a little extra cash to go on holidays and buy a car that would see them through to death so they sold their city digs last year (their first down sizer) and moved 3 hours down the coast to their second downsizer to free up some cash. They moved away from all their family and friends. On the upside the got a great pad on the beach.

Not saying this is you Basho, but what I am saying is that I'm quite proud of my parents for taking it all on the chin and doing something about their situation, even though the preference was to remain in their city pad close to family and friends. I asked them the other day what they thought about TB's budget and they said "well we knew many years ago that govt pensions were going to be reduced, that's why we saved heavily for super. But now that we have no super, the pension is actually pretty good. A lot more than we expected"
Hey hey Beoz , your parents aren't close to being Robinson Crusoe , the fact that I'm in Hervey Bay when I've spent 80% of my last 40 working years in Sydney may give you a clue as to my personal mirror of your parents circumstance.

I somewhat resent on your parents and others behalf the "foolishly had all their eggs in one basket" comment, many very clever people got savaged in that 08 mess and for many older ones it wasn't the first time around either.

There were no indicators that I am aware of that there would be pension reductions outside of the speculatory other than asset tested pension adjustments being more rigorous in nature and more stringently applied.

Quite simply all budgets current and pending in the next month or two (Federal, State , Local Council) all single out and disadvantage OAP's as a demographic.

I find this onerous to the extreme.

Last edited by BASHO; Jun 5th 2014 at 5:40 am.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...605-39lzi.html
Old Jun 8th 2014, 10:38 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Hey hey Beoz , your parents aren't close to being Robinson Crusoe , the fact that I'm in Hervey Bay when I've spent 80% of my last 40 working years in Sydney may give you a clue as to my personal mirror of your parents circumstance.

I somewhat resent on your parents and others behalf the "foolishly had all their eggs in one basket" comment, many very clever people got savaged in that 08 mess and for many older ones it wasn't the first time around either.

There were no indicators that I am aware of that there would be pension reductions outside of the speculatory other than asset tested pension adjustments being more rigorous in nature and more stringently applied.

Quite simply all budgets current and pending in the next month or two (Federal, State , Local Council) all single out and disadvantage OAP's as a demographic.

know a guy who has had 3 company pension plans vanish in a puff of smoke due to dirty dealings. The compensation is derisory and yet some people will say it is "his fault".
Old Jun 8th 2014, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

They aren't resentful, a little pissed off with their financial advisor, but they aren't really ones to dwell on what was. It was their money and they had their own choices. Having all your eggs in one basket is the first no no to financial investment. They knew that and only have themselves to blame - and they know that.