Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are Brits rude to shop staff?

Are Brits rude to shop staff?

Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are Brits rude to shop staff?

And do British shop staff put up with it. I wonder if this is why some Brits seem to have a lot of problems in shops here (because the Aussie staff won't put up with it).

I mentioned it to my mate in Sydney when I was visiting and he confirmed that his British customers treat him like he's their bitch (telling him how he should do his job and that he should make them his number 1 priority) whereas his Aussie customers just expect him to do the job as he sees fit (as long as it's done on time).

I think that British staff just put up with the rudeness whist Aussie staff don't take any crap (which then leads to the British customer thinking the Aussie staff are rude and unhelpful).

Just wondering.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:10 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Brits rude to shop staff?

I think British retail staff, want a kick up the arse.

Apart from DFS salesmen, and currys salesppl, who hunt you down like a wild boar. With their patronising, cheesey grins.. on the whole shopping in the uk, is a pain.

Ste
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
And do British shop staff put up with it. I wonder if this is why some Brits seem to have a lot of problems in shops here (because the Aussie staff won't put up with it).

I mentioned it to my mate in Sydney when I was visiting and he confirmed that his British customers treat him like he's their bitch (telling him how he should do his job and that he should make them his number 1 priority) whereas his Aussie customers just expect him to do the job as he sees fit (as long as it's done on time).

I think that British staff just put up with the rudeness whist Aussie staff don't take any crap (which then leads to the British customer thinking the Aussie staff are rude and unhelpful).

Just wondering.
An interesting post. I wondered the same sort of question but in reverse. "Why are many Aussie sales staff so useless at their jobs?"

I don't wan't to create strife here but maybe attitudes have a lot to do with it. Many years ago I worked in retail. For some time I worked as a Training Officer for Dixons, the large electrical and photographic chain in the UK. I don't think our staff were always great but I do know we expected them to see the customer as "t]he reason for their employment and not an interruption to it [/COLOR]to it."

On many occasions since I moved here I have met with sales staff who appear not to be bothered to be helpful. If they do not know an answer they won't think to ask another member of staff. If they are speaking to each other you often have to wait for them to finish their conversation before they serve you. Som will continue their conversation while taking your money and giving you change with no eye contact no smile and no manners.

This may be considered OK in Aus (although I doubt the bosses would think so) but in the UK it would be considered very slack. If it was my shop I would want my customer to have a good experience and not feel she is a bloody pest.

Obviously this is a generalisation. I have also had some great service from Australians.

It might be old fashioned but it makes good business sense - "The Customer is always right"
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:33 pm
Who's the nanny?

nanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
I think British retail staff, want a kick up the arse.

Apart from DFS salesmen, and currys salesppl, who hunt you down like a wild boar. With their patronising, cheesey grins.. on the whole shopping in the uk, is a pain.

Ste
How very true, and the evil looks you get from shop assistance because you have disturbed their conversation,How very dare we.We come in their shop and try to buy things what are we thinking
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Generally, here, I get,

SA: Hi, how are you?
Me: Good thanks, How are you?
SA: I'm good.
The main thing is that it is always cheerful. The best thing is they pack your shopping bags.

In UK,
SA:
Me: Phew!
As I try to keep up with the 19YO item bleeper that throws items through so fast I need 4 arms to pack them.

The amazing thing is that any Aussie reading this will have no idea what I am talking about.

Mike.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike
Generally, here, I get,

The main thing is that it is always cheerful. The best thing is they pack your shopping bags.

In UK,
SA:
As I try to keep up with the 19YO item bleeper that throws items through so fast I need 4 arms to pack them.

The amazing thing is that any Aussie reading this will have no idea what I am talking about.

Mike.
I will give you credi for that Mike. The supermarket check out experience is better here.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:16 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't know where you lot shop but I seem to be lucky in both countries.

In the UK they pack my bags and chat with me and it was the same in Oz I had good service from all the shops

except in some asian shops where the shop assistants are like aussie flies and so persistent they even take your shopping basket and carry it for you and I only went in for a quick look
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by asher
I really don't know where you lot shop but I seem to be lucky in both countries.

In the UK they pack my bags and chat with me and it was the same in Oz I had good service from all the shops

except in some asian shops where the shop assistants are like aussie flies and so persistent they even take your shopping basket and carry it for you and I only went in for a quick look
In which suppermarket do you get your bags packed?

Mike.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:26 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

In which suppermarket do you get your bags packed?

Mike.
Asda and the CO OPin the UK and Coles and Franklins in Oz
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Generally, here, I get,

In UK,
SA:

Mike.
Agree with the above - my experience has been wholly positive and I often feel quite helpless as they pack the shopping. Makes it much more pleasant.

I used to have races at the uk checkout to see if I could beat the checkout operator, packing like a mad thing and be ready with my purse before they had the last item over the bleeper. Yes I know its sad but...!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:31 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

I think the aussie assistants are so false, I dont want them to say "Hi how are Ya" to me all the time, because lets be honest they are really not interested at all in how I am!!

I like to be left alone until I ask for help!! (well apart from today when I was in the sports shop and this gorgeous young man said the above and well I did throw back a smile and accept his help!! Well you would of done to if you saw him!! )

But NORMALLY I Hate all that false smile pushy sales crap!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
I think the aussie assistants are so false, I dont want them to say "Hi how are Ya" to me all the time, because lets be honest they are really not interested at all in how I am!!

I like to be left alone until I ask for help!! (well apart from today when I was in the sports shop and this gorgeous young man said the above and well I did throw back a smile and accept his help!! Well you would of done to if you saw him!! )

You need to smell the roses more. Pleasantries are nice and it's people like you that will get them banned. With your attitude people will stop saying please and thank you - whoops, wait a minute, that's why I left the UK.

Mike.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

its nice to be made welcome in a shop and how can i help etc is all good

although if i was at a check out and they was purposely ignoreing me i(ie talking) i would pull em on it

somat along the lines of you can HELLO you can gossip on ya brew brake
Old Mar 13th 2008, 5:21 pm
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sham Williams

Well I used to be a checkout chick in coles, and I was one of those who said 'Hey how you goin'?' It's not actually asking you to tell me how you actually are, it's just acknowledging that you're there and being polite.

I don't think it's false and don't see anything wrong with it. Infact I think it's rude not to say anything at all and I hate being served and having checkout operators talking to one another while they're supposed to be serving me.

Last edited by fin; Mar 13th 2008 at 6:51 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 5:37 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Are Brits rude to shop staff?

Generally, here, I get,

In UK,
SA:

Mike.
Speaking as an Aussie who's been in the UK since January 2004, I know exactly what you're talking about. And I sympathise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.