Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are Brits rude to shop staff?

Are Brits rude to shop staff?

Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:35 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Are Brits rude to shop staff?

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Okay if you will persist.

I guess abuse was the wrong word to use. I was aiming for rude but at the other end of the spectrum it could conjure up an image of verbal assault. If I was the shop staff then I would have found one of the comments in the thread unnecessarily rude. I can see that maybe you wouldn't. I can drag the specific comment out but I don't see the need to fight this out to the death. The comment wasn't the raison d'etre of this thread, it was just something that reminded me of something I've been pondering for some time.

Oh, ok then

p.s. i am very polite to shop assistants.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian12

On many occasions since I moved here I have met with sales staff who appear not to be bothered to be helpful. If they do not know an answer they won't think to ask another member of staff. If they are speaking to each other you often have to wait for them to finish their conversation before they serve you. Som will continue their conversation while taking your money and giving you change with no eye contact no smile and no manners.
Some past anecdotal evidence is that people say this happens in the UK too, and often comes up when people favour/ contrast their Australian experience!

In general I don't want help so don't care. I find Australians manage to afford just the right about of help and am not too wounded, and get over it when you turn them down. I also find them more cheerful in places and on the phone. I find the Brits I deal with over the phone to be shocking - their *diction* is often awful whereas I find there is more consistency with Australians.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I don't find it false. If I'm not in the mood for a chat - which is fairly rare, I'll just say 'good thanks' and nothing else. If I want a chat I'll say 'good thanks etc etc etc' I end up having a good laugh with both the assistant and probably the next couple of people in the queue behind me.

Exactly. You can take it to mean whatever you want depending on how you're feeling. 'How you doing' or whatever is just an acknowledgement that they know you're there. You can build on it or not. It's vastly superior to many shopping experiences I've had in the UK - but many other times the staff were just as pleasant. It's also vastly superior to the American 'Have a Nice Day' which generally does mean sweet FA but is still better than you not existing.

Some people (general ) seem to stress the small stuff way too much.
Bang on the money. Pretty much what my position is. It's up to you how much interaction happens, and there is a bare ''minimum'' of sorts which makes life more pleasant. What's more , the great thing about basic Australian manners and customs, there need be no awkwardness about it. No ''terribly sorry but I might have to report I am OK" or wondering who might speak first.

I actually wonder what I might do in London as I can't rely on the interaction and will probably make a complete ass of myself lol. Go in to a shop, tiptoe around, eyes downcast like a Nun, trying not to embarass the young lad/girl into having to make conversation. Or get ''nervous'' and blurt out 'How ya gaan' and then have to explain, "No I'm not Australian. Well actually I am [at least got a passport] let see now it all started 6 years ago etc etc etc". Jeez.

Reminds me of a story which I wouldn't want to deal with in the same way now. 24 hours or so after returning from Sydney to London, I was having lunch with an old mate and was so shocked that staff didn't even make eye contact or say anything when I ordered and paid, complained to a manager! I'd got off the flight from Sydney days earlier and was still in utter reverse culture shock(!) I think I really rubbed his nose in it and told him where I'd come from was a much more pleasant experience!

Not too proud of that.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes the constant "can I help you?" thing gets on your nerves, that element (along with the bag checking in Targ-ay etc) does rile a bit.

However today I went to my local Woolies, the lovely checkout lady struck up a conversation "what are you up to on the weekend?" etc etc, went into butchers always very friendly. Walked past the fish shop, the owner called me in "we havent' seen you for a bit, how are you?" etc etc. Made me feel all loved it did
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:32 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

I received a tirade of abuse from a KMart assistant when I asked if I could put a Mars Bar on layby.I'll never shop there again
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
(along with the bag checking in Targ-ay etc) does rile a bit.
I've got a couple of friends who work in Target. They hate it when it's their turn for door duty. They don't want to do it anymore than you want them to do it but it's company policy. I find if I let go of a handle so the bag is open and smile, they just wave me on. But I couldn't give a rats to be honest.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:39 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
And do British shop staff put up with it. I wonder if this is why some Brits seem to have a lot of problems in shops here (because the Aussie staff won't put up with it).

I mentioned it to my mate in Sydney when I was visiting and he confirmed that his British customers treat him like he's their bitch (telling him how he should do his job and that he should make them his number 1 priority) whereas his Aussie customers just expect him to do the job as he sees fit (as long as it's done on time).

I think that British staff just put up with the rudeness whist Aussie staff don't take any crap (which then leads to the British customer thinking the Aussie staff are rude and unhelpful).

Just wondering.

And while the world looks at inviromental distruction................lets talk about are the Brits rude to shop staff sad!!!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
And while the world looks at inviromental distruction................lets talk about are the Brits rude to shop staff sad!!!
Yes because it's the barbie and you need some fun while the world supposedly self distructs around you. Not convinced myself but whatever. Oh and the word is Environment
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:44 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a couple of friends who work in Target. They hate it when it's their turn for door duty. They don't want to do it anymore than you want them to do it but it's company policy. I find if I let go of a handle so the bag is open and smile, they just wave me on. But I couldn't give a rats to be honest.
compulsory see-through bags for everybody,would be the go.Anybody refusing to conform, must have something to hide. They should be made to sit a citizenship exam and deported back to their own country if they fail.If they come from here they could be sent to somewhere like Holland
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
I think the aussie assistants are so false, I dont want them to say "Hi how are Ya" to me all the time, because lets be honest they are really not interested at all in how I am!!

I like to be left alone until I ask for help!! (well apart from today when I was in the sports shop and this gorgeous young man said the above and well I did throw back a smile and accept his help!! Well you would of done to if you saw him!! )

But NORMALLY I Hate all that false smile pushy sales crap!
Yes I am sure I would have - did't you get his phone number
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:48 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Yes because it's the barbie and you need some fun while the world supposedly self distructs around you. Not convinced myself but whatever. Oh and the word is Environment
Fun, but you are in Aus, why the f are you trolling around on a site like this on a Friday night ?

I've got an excuse,.....i'm pi$$ed and the other half is out on the pi$$ and now I'm going to get the DVD sorted
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Fun, but you are in Aus, why the f are you trolling around on a site like this on a Friday night ?

I've got an excuse,.....i'm pi$$ed and the other half is out on the pi$$ and now I'm going to get the DVD sorted
Because everyone is in bed, I'm surfing various sites, I'm chatting to friends on MSN and email, watching Rugby League on the TV and got an (empty now) glass of Malibu by my side. Life's good
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:28 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Because everyone is in bed, I'm surfing various sites, I'm chatting to friends on MSN and email, watching Rugby League on the TV and got an (empty now) glass of Malibu by my side. Life's good
was going to say it's a bit late for you
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

You'd better trot off and turn off your computer to save the environment.

I agree that your need to dictate discussion content is very sad. You never know what might happen when you think outside the box. Maybe the world should stop looking at inviromental distruction (sic) and start on how we can work together to stop environmental destruction. Maybe being nicer to each other is the 1st step on the path to a solution. How will you ever know if you're not able to look outside your blinkers? :two-fingers:

Remind me not to go drinking with you. You sound like a bag of laughs

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 14th 2008 at 9:32 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:27 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike
You need to smell the roses more. Pleasantries are nice and it's people like you that will get them banned. With your attitude people will stop saying please and thank you - whoops, wait a minute, that's why I left the UK.

Mike.
Did you read my thread seems not??

What an earth are you talking about?? "People with my attitude will get them banned" Erm my attitude is bloody great thanks, my kids and I ALWAYS say please and thank you it is commented on regularly, if you read my thread properly you would of noted I dont like FALSE people, Ohhh there see thats what it is You obviously fall under the FALSE catagory!!! :

If you left the UK because you wanted to mix with false people you are obviously the one thats been smelling a bit to much of something and it certainly aint roses!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.