Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Brits no longer dreaming of a life in Australia

Brits no longer dreaming of a life in Australia

Old Nov 25th 2011, 10:40 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all
Default Re: Brits no longer dreaming of a life in Australia

Originally Posted by chris955
Well they do say that little things please little minds
You seem a happy bunny
Old Nov 25th 2011, 10:50 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone intimated that someone's mother smells yet?

Tedious.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 11:11 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I'm pretty happy, always been easy to please

Originally Posted by Perthbum
You seem a happy bunny
Old Nov 25th 2011, 11:29 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Australia currently suffers from an overvalued currency. Because other countries have cut their rates to near zero, and because Australia's rate is still high, it gets hit in the currency markets (also because it still has a pre-GFC economy).

That won't last.

Sooner or later things will rebalance - either via the Dutch disease, China having a recession/collapsing, or politicians actively screwing up. These are the good times, the times when you should be running a surplus and be building capabilities for the future, but...

If you look at the immigration policies, they are actively attempting to drive down migration from India and China such that the society doesn't get out of wack. With the new visa structure that's aim is likely to continue and expand. While Brits are not going to Oz because of the current exchange rate, once that sorts itself out, so will the migration rate.

Nothing serious has changed in the desire - just the finance part doesn't make a lot of sense, and the visa requirements are overly onerous.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 12:42 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I guess people are allowed to be pro UK as well as pro Aussie
I guess I'd rather read people who have a balanced view rather than pro one 'side' or the other.

When I read a news item either for or against the UK or Australia, it's quite sad that I can lay odds on who will post it on the forum. Or if the subject title is ambiguous, just by looking at the author will generally tell me exactly what slant the thread will take without even having to open it.

God knows why I'm on this thread, lol... oh yeah, I'm an eternal optimist.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 1:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Has anyone intimated that someone's mother smells yet?
Mine does, of elderberries, and my father was a hamster..........
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've been here 30 years and can tell you exactly what is happening..... Australia is starting to seriously align with it's geographical partners rather than it's historical old World past.

The UK/European influence is starting to decline. The apron ties are being cut quite rapidly at present. Aus will be a totally different country in 30 years time with a very heavy South East Asian emphasis. When the Sun rises over Asia, Australia will be a pivotal part. The pertinent question is, will the UK be able to keep up. ? I'd like to see your gut reaction to that one.
We're getting as many migrants as we ever did, They are just from Asia now. When it comes to the Chinese, They are probably some of the Wealthiest and dynamic migrants this Country has ever seen. Edit Great intergrators as well. :sunglasses:
Say the US imposes trade sanctions against China to protect it's economy or worse, a war? Who do you think Australia will cosy up to - Europe/US or China, where does Australia's loyalites and history lie with? We have more in common culturally, values, etc, with Europe/US than China and that's huge.

I've lived through the 'fear' and expectation that Russia, Germany, Japan were all going to take over the world economically but they didn't, how will China be any different and make it a reality? From what I'm reading, their economy is faltering right now.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:06 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
I bought a bottle of Houghtons stripe Sauvignon today in Asda...£1.99....yes £1 f...ing 99. I used to buy 12 bottles of mixed Houghtons (Reds and Whites), cellar door for $120 2 years ago. Can someone tell me are Houghtons selling wine cheap cellar door now?
, think its around 9 bucks here
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:07 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Love that sketch and the whole film of course.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Mine does, of elderberries, and my father was a hamster..........
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

In the 10 years we have been back Australia has become much more expensive in almost every way, we apparently have the fastest increasing grocery prices in the developed world and utilities costs have shot up along with housing and most other things. All this has absolutely nothing to do with Britain devaluing it's currency. Australia has just become very expensive.
Inflation is really about your dollar being worse less than yesterday, and this is the case, but what we're talking about is Brits no longer dreaming of Australia and a central reason for this is that the pound's devaluation has left them with so much less money than those coming to Australia years ago had. Put this together with Australian inflation and it is less attractive to Brits wanting to leave home and start a new life.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by GarryP

If you look at the immigration policies, they are actively attempting to drive down migration from India and China such that the society doesn't get out of wack. .
How are they doing this?
Old Nov 26th 2011, 5:52 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthbum
I can really see the overall IQ of Australia going down rapid.
Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
What, because less Brits are emigrating and more Asians???

Oh dear.....

BB
I actually find the Asians more hardworking than Poms and they tend to have higher scores in maths and engineering subjects

I'd rather see Australia growing with Asia. Europe is a sinking ageing boat anyway.

Last edited by Alfresco; Nov 26th 2011 at 5:55 am. Reason: fixed small typo
Old Nov 26th 2011, 6:32 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calliope
How are they doing this?
The way the points are arranged today there is much of an emphasis on very good, native-level, English. Lots of points on offer for the high points scores. By default that makes it harder for non-English speakers to get in.

In addition, the two stage process they are looking to implement means they get to pick and choose who is allowed to move to stage II, and therefore the criteria can be tailored to select for particular groups.

They are being circumspect about it, but the emphasis is there. Mind I don't have a problem with this, all countries end up selecting on the basis of cultures and political drivers - its a fact of life and a reality of cultural mix management.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:28 am
Banned

Asian students are more often than not right at the top of the school rankings, above Australians, Europeans, British and everyone else really.

Originally Posted by commonwealth
I actually find the Asians more hardworking than Poms and they tend to have higher scores in maths and engineering subjects
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:44 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Yes they are certainly hardworking, and they do indeed have higher scores in Maths and some aspects of Engineering. What they tend to be pretty bad at is design, lateral thinking, free thinking and problem solving. Probably why most of great design engineering comes from the West.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.