British OAP pension

Old May 4th 2009, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice
Default British OAP pension

My mother has come of retiring age and as she contributed to the British Government coffers for many a year, I want to try and claim a British OAP Pension for her.

Does anyone on here have any information in regarding claiming a pension ie: web sites etc.

Thankyou

Barney
Old May 4th 2009, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British OAP pension

See what you can find here - http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/home.asp
Old May 4th 2009, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm coming up to 11 years away from it, and whether to claim it or not is confusing the crapper out of me.

Apparently If I make around 6-9 months of payments I can claim the minimum pension. Is there a reason I should or should not do this ?

One of my more elusive dreams is to spend 4-5 months of the year in the UK or Europe upon retirement, so does that make claiming the UK pension a more pertinent issue ?

What does one gain or lose in claiming it ?

One of my main questions is, what is a UK v Australian resident what are the timescales of residence in each country to be deemed either ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 4th 2009 at 1:18 pm.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

If you've made contributions for at least a year you will be able to claim something under the new rules - http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/...reform/act.asp. You can also ask for a pension forecast by following the instructions on the website above.

If you are working in Oz, you can boost the amount to which you will be entitled by paying class 2 contributions at £2.20ish per week, but what that will get you in ten years time, who knows?!

I can't imagine you'd lose anything by not claiming it.

Tax residence in the UK can be quite difficult to determine, but it's likely to require you to be there for more than 3 months a year. If nothing else, whether or not you are resident, you will be entitled to claim the current amount of state pension to which you were entitled whilst you were in the UK (as opposed to the frozen amount which you'd get as an Aussie resident).
Old May 4th 2009, 9:25 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
My mother has come of retiring age and as she contributed to the British Government coffers for many a year, I want to try and claim a British OAP Pension for her.

Does anyone on here have any information in regarding claiming a pension ie: web sites etc.

Thankyou

Barney

If she is over there it would be the International Pensions team in Longbenton Newcastle - think that is where they are. Use the sites offered up but if they are of no use, let me know and i will get you a number for them. My dad has been in contact with them a lot over his Pension as he is in Bris.