Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

British hostage Norman Kember released

Wikiposts

British hostage Norman Kember released

Old Mar 25th 2006, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Default Re: British hostage Norman Kember released

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
On the news this morning it was stated that Norman Kember had forgotten something.

To thank the troops involved in his rescue.

Now thats Gratitude for you.

John
I all the interviews with various friends of Mr Kember that I saw in the first few hours after the news broke(about 6 interviews) not one of them even mentioned never mind thanked the brave troops. They went to great lengths to thank everyone from God to the British Muslim Association but not the soldiers. They may not agree with the war but the rescuers still risked their own lives.

Bruce.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruce67
I all the interviews with various friends of Mr Kember that I saw in the first few hours after the news broke(about 6 interviews) not one of them even mentioned never mind thanked the brave troops. They went to great lengths to thank everyone from God to the British Muslim Association but not the soldiers. They may not agree with the war but the rescuers still risked their own lives.

Bruce.
bruce, totally agree with your post. dom
Old Mar 25th 2006, 2:27 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: British hostage Norman Kember released

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
On the news this morning it was stated that Norman Kember had forgotten something.

To thank the troops involved in his rescue.

Now thats Gratitude for you.

John
That's what people thought, but it seems that they were mistaken.

Apparently his thanks were initially extended through the organisation with which he was associated (Christian Peacemaker Teams.)

He later thanked the British forces as soon as he arrived back home:

Freed hostage Norman Kember has thanked the soldiers who rescued him from kidnappers in Iraq as he arrived home.

But, in a statement released as he was reunited with wife Pat at Heathrow airport, he said he did not believe armed force achieved lasting peace.

He had faced criticism after apparently failing to thank the men who freed him.

Mr Kember, 74, a peace campaigner from Pinner, London, was kidnapped in Iraq last November. He and two Canadian hostages were rescued on Thursday.

Tribute paid

Head of the British Army, Gen Sir Mike Jackson, had said he was "saddened" there did not seem to be any gratitude after the rescue of Mr Kember, James Loney, 41, and Harmeet Singh Sooden, 32.

But on Saturday, Mr Kember said: "I do not believe that a lasting peace is achieved by armed force, but I pay tribute to their courage and thank those who played a part in my rescue."

Christian Peacemaker Teams, the group all three men were campaigning for, insisted it had thanked the soldiers.

Mrs Kember added: "I am overjoyed that Norman is free to come home and I am very grateful for all those who have helped secure his release."
Source.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 25th 2006 at 2:31 am.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 3:31 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
That's what people thought, but it seems that they were mistaken.

Apparently his thanks were initially extended through the organisation with which he was associated (Christian Peacemaker Teams.)

He later thanked the British forces as soon as he arrived back home:

Freed hostage Norman Kember has thanked the soldiers who rescued him from kidnappers in Iraq as he arrived home.

But, in a statement released as he was reunited with wife Pat at Heathrow airport, he said he did not believe armed force achieved lasting peace.

He had faced criticism after apparently failing to thank the men who freed him.

Mr Kember, 74, a peace campaigner from Pinner, London, was kidnapped in Iraq last November. He and two Canadian hostages were rescued on Thursday.

Tribute paid

Head of the British Army, Gen Sir Mike Jackson, had said he was "saddened" there did not seem to be any gratitude after the rescue of Mr Kember, James Loney, 41, and Harmeet Singh Sooden, 32.

But on Saturday, Mr Kember said: "I do not believe that a lasting peace is achieved by armed force, but I pay tribute to their courage and thank those who played a part in my rescue."

Christian Peacemaker Teams, the group all three men were campaigning for, insisted it had thanked the soldiers.

Mrs Kember added: "I am overjoyed that Norman is free to come home and I am very grateful for all those who have helped secure his release."
Source.

I'm glad about that -its amazing how the press can distort the truth - nothing gets in the way of a good story, not even a very old man who had just been released from being held hostage by men who had excuted his colleague
Old Mar 25th 2006, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Craigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really nice

Originally Posted by seang
It was a US led operation
Are you talking about the war???
Old Mar 25th 2006, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Craigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really nice

Whilst I am glad to hear that he has been rescued as it must have been an ordeal, I can't help but think that really he has only got himslef to blame in some ways...

He knew he was going to helping in a 'war zone'...

General advice has been given to all that they should have close protection teams (not a guarantee but certainly a little more security) which they didn't for whatever reason...

Well done to our troops involved in the rescue and the other troops who are over there. They don't have a choice where to go - that is the Government.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 4:14 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: British hostage Norman Kember released

Originally Posted by Craigy
Whilst I am glad to hear that he has been rescued as it must have been an ordeal, I can't help but think that really he has only got himslef to blame in some ways...

He knew he was going to helping in a 'war zone'...

General advice has been given to all that they should have close protection teams (not a guarantee but certainly a little more security) which they didn't for whatever reason...

Well done to our troops involved in the rescue and the other troops who are over there. They don't have a choice where to go - that is the Government.
Agreed.

If people want to go over and help, they should go as members of a large, recognisable and well-respected NGO, such as Médecins Sans Frontières or the Red Cross.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 4:21 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craigy
Are you talking about the war???
What war? The war is over - remember Bush said so a few weeks after the invasion

No I was refering to the rescue. It was US led but the SAS were the rescue team. Also my post was made soon after news was coming through so it has to be taken in that context