Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Brisbane's traffic the most stressful in Australia

Wikiposts

Brisbane's traffic the most stressful in Australia

Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane's traffic the most stressful in Australia

Originally Posted by cresta57
That's another cause of traffic stress all the cycle ways that have been installed in the last year or so
A lot of pavements have been re-designated as cycleways, and although they are supposed to be for pedestrians as well, you take your life in your hands if you walk in them. A lot of us Brisbane pedestrians now have to walk in the street cos there is less chance of being mown down by a car than the risk of being run down by pushbikes. At least the cars will usually stop and check if you're still breathing, the bikes just keep going.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I reckon it's bollocks and nothing other than City driving.

Bet it's no worse than Melbourne, Sydney or London.
Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Indeed.
Oh dear, I couldn't let this one go.

Do either of you actually drive in Brisbane? I can tell you that I commute by bus into the city every day. The fastest I can travel the 10km journey is an hour. Yes, an hour to travel 6.2 miles.

It can often take up to an hour and a half. I used to commute to London from Kent (30 odd miles) quicker than that.

I am looking at moving because I am spending up to 3 hours per day to travel less than 13 miles. My home life is suffering as a result as my kids are left home alone for long periods. I love my job and I can't get anything that pays enough salary to live on near home.

So, while it's nice of you to offer smug comments when you don't live it, this is a very shitty reality for some of us.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

That's another cause of traffic stress all the cycle ways that have been installed in the last year or so
Originally Posted by Pollyana
A lot of pavements have been re-designated as cycleways, and although they are supposed to be for pedestrians as well, you take your life in your hands if you walk in them. A lot of us Brisbane pedestrians now have to walk in the street cos there is less chance of being mown down by a car than the risk of being run down by pushbikes. At least the cars will usually stop and check if you're still breathing, the bikes just keep going.
I have always maintained that different modes of transport should be segregated. Bicycles on the road in the UK drove me mad for that very reason, because there's not enough space on the roads for everyone and they blocked up the roads.

I can't comment on the inner city of Brisbane, but the Western suburbs feed into Brisbane where the pedestrian and cycle paths are split for cyclists and peds is better along the river. One side for bikes and one side for peds and away from the roads.

I only cycle occasionally for recreation along those dedicated cycle paths for that reason.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:30 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

It's really a no win situation for anyone! I used to try and cycle in from Balmoral. Along Wynnum Rd there is a 'cycle lane' marked...it is in fact the pedestrian footpath and also crosses residential driveways. People tear out of their driveways without thinking about who else might be using the footpath, pedestrian or cyclist. All involved probably just find it very frustrating.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:36 pm
Banned

kmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Centurion
Actually I can think of other reasons.

1. The greatest number of cigarette smoking, singlet wearing shitty Commodore owners leaning out of windows because the tatty self applied UV film has jammed it up. The one day they were sober in the last 10 years was to turn up the test.

2. Ute drivers who believe that because they wear Holden/Ford racing T-shirts at the weekend are practicing for competition. That and it's fun to see if their staffy on rope can stay in the back during a squeeling tyre turn.

3. The pure number of vehicles that get pulled over and on the spot towed away at random road blocks and breath checks - even at 9am!
great post
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:37 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody

Do either of you actually drive in Brisbane? I can tell you that I commute by bus into the city every day. The fastest I can travel the 10km journey is an hour. Yes, an hour to travel 6.2 miles.

It can often take up to an hour and a half. I used to commute to London from Kent (30 odd miles) quicker than that.

I am looking at moving because I am spending up to 3 hours per day to travel less than 13 miles. My home life is suffering as a result as my kids are left home alone for long periods. I love my job and I can't get anything that pays enough salary to live on near home.

So, while it's nice of you to offer smug comments when you don't live it, this is a very shitty reality for some of us.
Break out the lycra, get on your bike, do the journey in 20-25 mins get fit at the same time win win lol
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Break out the lycra, get on your bike, do the journey in 20-25 mins get fit at the same time win win lol
Believe me, I have considered everything - anything - but what I currently experience! I borrowed a friend's bike and tried to do the ride a couple of times. Unfortunately it's very hilly around here and I consider myself to be fairly fit but I couldn't get up the hills. This is not something I really want to repeat in 35 degree heat and humidity while on the way to work. I am also very fair skinned and don't want to risk the skin cancer. Maybe overworrying but I've had a few friends in their 20s and 30s who have had large cancers cut out.

Additionally, I work in a corporate office that requires a high level of presentation. If I cycle, I have to iron my clothes when I get to work (and buy an iron), take my blow dryer and hair straightener and lug full make up in with me. I know that after say, a run on the treadmill, I can't put make up on for at least half an hour even after a shower as I am sweating so much and my hair sticks to me. I know this is an issue as my ex used to cycle and he found it really difficult with sweating and work clothes, even after a shower (despite this he continued to cycle until we broke up).

Given all of the above, cycling is just not feasible for me. Trust me, if I thought it was an option I'd do it.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:10 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Additionally, where cyclists are forced to ride on the roads, they are met with all of the problems associated with roads in sub-tropical cities (craters left from trucks churning up the road after a big storm, the melting of the bitumen and therefore the bump effect when we have more than 2 consecutive days of +30 degree heat, or massive storm water drains littering the sides of roads that would easily gobble up a bike wheel and send you flying)
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:13 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
massive storm water drains littering the sides of roads that would easily gobble up a bike wheel and send you flying)
Yup, these are the killer! There are still many around (or there were at least) that don't have the metal grid, just widely spaced parallel metal that would eat my wheel twice over easily. And when you see it and take action to go around it...get ready for the road rage!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:15 pm
ABCDiamond

It might be handy for people to know what your route is, as that sounds awful.

We can do the daily 38k commute in 45-55 minutes from this side of the City.

Saturday mornings are an easy one though, with it taking under 45 minutes to get from here to the University at St Lucia, 47km.
Attached Thumbnails Brisbane's traffic the most stressful in Australia-uni-trip.png  

Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Saturday mornings are an easy one though, with it taking under 45 minutes to get from here to the University at St Lucia, 47km.
Western Suburbs. As such I travel mainly on the notoriously awful Moggill Road. It's the only way out.

http://moggill.net/moggill-road/2880...-official.html

Tuesday, 17 August 2010 16:00

Results of the RACQ Redspot survey for 2010 (published in the Courier Mail Aug 5) has ranked Moggill Road (Kenmore to Chapel Hill) as the second worst section of road in Brisbane.

As part of that same survey Moggill Road at Kenmore has been given the dubious honor of being the fourth worst intersection in Brisbane.

These findings add up to Moggill road being the worst local road in Brisbane.

This survey tells us what every local resident already knows and that is – Moggill Road is a disgrace.

The government should be ashamed and embarrassed that they have allowed this road, our only access road to Brisbane to repeatedly be on the RACQ’s Red Spot list as being one of Brisbane’s worst local roads.

Local residents have put up with appalling road conditions for far too long and it is time the government did something about fixing the problem.

It was only a few weeks ago that a minor accident on Moggill Road at Chapel Hill brought the western suburbs to a complete standstill.

Last edited by rabsody; Feb 19th 2011 at 9:20 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I used to work at UQ and it used to take me up to 45 minutes to travel the 6kms to work in the morning - by car! And that was going the back ways.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:18 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

The future beckons, Pol

Last edited by paulry; Feb 19th 2011 at 9:24 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:22 pm
ABCDiamond

Western Suburbs.
I agree with your thinking on moving then...

Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Additionally, where cyclists are forced to ride on the roads, they are met with all of the problems associated with roads in sub-tropical cities (craters left from trucks churning up the road after a big storm, the melting of the bitumen and therefore the bump effect when we have more than 2 consecutive days of +30 degree heat, or massive storm water drains littering the sides of roads that would easily gobble up a bike wheel and send you flying)
Or be wary of the police ... the ex got a ticket (by police who were in hiding on a bikeway) for not having a bell on his bike. No warning. A $40 fine. He was sold the bike without a bell, was not aware this was the law (being new to cycling) and the cops were in waiting nabbing cyclists. They got 40 alone on that day.

So I went to the press and got the story in the paper. A furore regarding revenue raising ensued and they haven't been seen there since. Funny that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.