Brisbane - Salary

Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

crocodile is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Brisbane - Salary

Hi,

I am a 175 visa holder. I have just received an offer from a IT Consulting firm in Brisbane.The salary they are offering me is 60K including super.I have close to 6 years of experience and a top MBA from India.I know this is less for my profile but I dont have any direct experience in the field in which I am given an offer. Its still better to come to Australia with a job in hand rather than not having one. I have few questions ?

- I am not in Australia right now and this can be a good break to come to Australia. Is this salary good enuf for a couple to sustain for one year if I dont indulge in lavish living ?

In 2006,I stayed in Sydney alone and my salary was 65K. I was very well off and also saved some money.

I need suggestions.I would also like to ensure that I am not living hand to mouth in this salary.
Please give your honest replies. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane - Salary

Originally Posted by crocodile
Hi,

I am a 175 visa holder. I have just received an offer from a IT Consulting firm in Brisbane.The salary they are offering me is 60K including super.I have close to 6 years of experience and a top MBA from India.I know this is less for my profile but I dont have any direct experience in the field in which I am given an offer. Its still better to come to Australia with a job in hand rather than not having one. I have few questions ?

- I am not in Australia right now and this can be a good break to come to Australia. Is this salary good enuf for a couple to sustain for one year if I dont indulge in lavish living ?

In 2006,I stayed in Sydney alone and my salary was 65K. I was very well off and also saved some money.

I need suggestions.I would also like to ensure that I am not living hand to mouth in this salary.
60K including super does seem very low for someone with 6 years experience. I think that might be "below" a graduate salary these days? Maybe this will help: http://www.hays.com.au/salary/pdfs09...Technology.pdf (salaries do not include super)

If you you were "very well off" and also "saved some money" on $65,000 by yourself 3 years ago in Sydney, the slighter lower costs of Brisbane offset by 3 years of price rises should mean you could still manage it in Brisbane as a couple but without saving much. I'm sure lots of couples manage on this but it is definitely at the low end of the spectrum.

good luck.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:54 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
60K including super does seem very low for someone with 6 years experience. I think that might be "below" a graduate salary these days? Maybe this will help: http://www.hays.com.au/salary/pdfs09...Technology.pdf (salaries do not include super)

If you you were "very well off" and also "saved some money" on $65,000 by yourself 3 years ago in Sydney, the slighter lower costs of Brisbane offset by 3 years of price rises should mean you could still manage it in Brisbane as a couple but without saving much. I'm sure lots of couples manage on this but it is definitely at the low end of the spectrum.

good luck.
I guess that if the OP would mention the position that he is trying to get himself hired to, it should attract a better response. The sheer number in itself is appropriate to, say, tester position, but in this context having an MBA is in fact a detriment, because looks like a joke and may create an impression with the prospective employer that this job serves as a step stool to get you over and continue looking.

Having said that - if the OP is happy with the job and what is on offer - great.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:49 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crocodile
Hi there,
I'm not sure exactly whether the answer is "yes" or "no" to this question.... I don't know how much money you will be earning after tax. But I will make a rough "stab in the dark" guess and say that you will be bringing home approx $1700 per fortnight on that wage. If anyone can provide the correct amount it would be much appreciated.

I can give you some figures for cost of living though...

rent:
This place is on for $370 a week. Its in a good suburb only 10mins by train and also very near the inner northern busway. You could get an older unit for $330 to $350 in this area. Obviously the further out you go, the cheaper it becomes... but I would look at $300 per week as a minimum budget for rent.

food:
This is very variable. My personal view (for two people) is that you can "survive" on $75 to $100, live fairly well on $150per week, and when you start getting up to $200 per week you're adding in luxuries/ probably spending money on things that can be bought for half the price in other stores.

gas, elec, etc...

I would budget $15 per week for gas, $25 per week for electricity, $5 per week telstra home budget connection, $10 per week for broadband internet connection e.g. TPG 40gb plan.

Other bills include private health (approx $60 per month per person / $15 per week, but this figure is very variable depending on service provider), contents insurance (lets say $300 per year or $6 per week), public transport (approx $3 per trip from that place I mentioned above, so $30 per week per person).

Other stuff... Lets budget e.g. $100 a week for other stuff that might come up. And other $100 per week for going out every now and then, meal, cinema, that kind of thing.

Adding it all up:
rent $350
Food $150
Gas $15
Elec $25
Phone $5 ( this is the line rental fee only, no calls included)
Internet $10
health insurance $30
contents insurance $6
public transport $30 (for 1 person only)
Other adhoc stuff $100
Entertainment $100

Total = $821

So I reckon you will be able to live ok on that wage, but you won't be able to save very much. Hope this helps !
Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:51 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01

good luck.
I would also agree with fish.01 here. My post was simply answering whether or not $60k "would be enough". I think that you do need to consider whether or not $60k is an appropriate wage for the position that you are being offered.

Best of luck !
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by asprilla
Hi there,
I'm not sure exactly whether the answer is "yes" or "no" to this question.... I don't know how much money you will be earning after tax. But I will make a rough "stab in the dark" guess and say that you will be bringing home approx $1700 per fortnight on that wage. If anyone can provide the correct amount it would be much appreciated.
I heard you.....

$60,000 inc Super
$55,046 Gross
$10,364 Tax
$826 Medicare
$43,856 Net Annual

$3,655 Net Monthly
$1,687 Net Fortnightly
$843 Net Weekly

Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:04 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I heard you.....

$60,000 inc Super
$55,046 Gross
$10,364 Tax
$826 Medicare
$43,856 Net Annual

$3,655 Net Monthly
$1,687 Net Fortnightly
$843 Net Weekly
cheers !

To the original poster, if you are reading this - tell your employer that you are very interested...and then ask nicely if you can possibly have your salary increased to $65k as you believe that this is a fairer reflection of market rates. Worst they can say is 'no'. Best they can say is "ok, no problem".