Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Brisbane or Melbourne?

Wikiposts

Brisbane or Melbourne?

Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane or Melbourne?

Originally Posted by Alana and Arrons mum
Thanks for your reply.To be honest I think anywhere near the coast in QLD will be great.My husband is a keen diver so having the great Barrier reef on our doorstep will be ideal.It will ultimately come down to where I find work,so we will just have to wait and see.I will be relying on my migration agent to give us the best advice.Good luck with your move.
Thanks.

If you both like the idea of the Reef, try and get work in or around Cairns or Townsville. They're both fairly big places so work propects may be quite good. I'm reliably informed that there's plenty of work for nurses in this neck of the woods at the mo'.

Good luck anyway with whatever you decide.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:47 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alana and Arrons mum
Hi All,
We are looking to move to Australia and have started the visa process.We are unsure of which area to move to and are torn between Brisbane and Melbourne.Brisbane because of its good weather and location(nearish to the Barrier reef).Also cost of living good.Melbourne because looks fab and has good hospitals(I am a nurse).I recently met an Aussie nurse who said Brisbane was really humid and may be too hot.Any advice would be great!
I can recall being in brisbane and it was 29c at 6am on a september morning. That's spring NOT summer! It is hot and humid and truth be told, some people love and thrive in that situation. I wasn't one. Unfortuante really as I found people there quite friendly.

I'd try melbourne, more work opportunities, greater entertainment and shopping, art and cultural centre of OZ.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I can recall being in brisbane and it was 29c at 6am on a september morning. That's spring NOT summer! It is hot and humid and truth be told, some people love and thrive in that situation. I wasn't one. Unfortuante really as I found people there quite friendly.

I'd try melbourne, more work opportunities, greater entertainment and shopping, art and cultural centre of OZ.
But then I recall the first time I arrived in Brissie mid-Summer and it was cold all day! So I guess the weather is quite variable at times.

Also, there's no reef in Melb'n...
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:40 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Brisbane or Melbourne?

Originally Posted by tonyk38
But then I recall the first time I arrived in Brissie mid-Summer and it was cold all day! So I guess the weather is quite variable at times.

Also, there's no reef in Melb'n...
No, but apparently there is still good diving, even if it is colder. It seems also that shore diving is more accessible in Melbourne.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
No, but apparently there is still good diving, even if it is colder. It seems also that shore diving is more accessible in Melbourne.

Cheers

Buzzy
Yes I know that, I was joshing!

The Bass Strait has similar cold-water species as British Waters, hence all the Sea birds that occur there, as it's also rich fishing grounds.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:44 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Yes I know that, I was joshing!

The Bass Strait has similar cold-water species as British Waters, hence all the Sea birds that occur there, as it's also rich fishing grounds.
Seems that Port Philip bay also has some good diving, octupus, rays etc

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Seems that Port Philip bay also has some good diving, octupus, rays etc

Cheers

Buzzy
Yup, just watch the sharks...
Old Mar 28th 2006, 11:12 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Matts done a few dives in Port Phillip bay and says that because the water is cooler the visibilty is great. He has seen some fantastic stuff. The popes eye being one i remember. He has also see a sea horse colony (don't know if thats its official name) seen dolphins and seals rays etc all up close. I'm glad as i think his diving days are well and truely over so pleased he got to see some great stuff last year.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 11:27 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by hevs
Matts done a few dives in Port Phillip bay and says that because the water is cooler the visibilty is great. He has seen some fantastic stuff. The popes eye being one i remember. He has also see a sea horse colony (don't know if thats its official name) seen dolphins and seals rays etc all up close. I'm glad as i think his diving days are well and truely over so pleased he got to see some great stuff last year.
Hmmm bummer that his diving days are over.

Sea horses is one of the things I really want to see.... the other being whale sharks.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 28th 2006, 11:33 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, i keep telling him, but he keeps forgetting

You can swim with the whale sharks and snorkel at the Ningaloo reef N/W W.A. On Matts list of things to do and i have to admit it looks pretty awesome

http://www.ningalooreefteach.com/WhaleSharks.htm
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hevs
Yeah, i keep telling him, but he keeps forgetting

You can swim with the whale sharks and snorkel at the Ningaloo reef N/W W.A. On Matts list of things to do and i have to admit it looks pretty awesome

http://www.ningalooreefteach.com/WhaleSharks.htm
Here's hoping that Matt gets the chance one day; good luck to you both.