Wikiposts

brisbane Holidays

Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

idymash will become famous soon enough
Default brisbane Holidays

Hi
Spouse and I are planning a holiday of 5 days to Brisbane & Gold Coast. We will be flying there from Perth. Can you'll advise us of must-see places. i also wanted to know if I should arrange for package deals for flight and accommodation or book them separately. Which are some good agents or online sites? We would like to stay in brisbane any advice on where to put up on a budget? Plus would we be better off hiring a car from Brisbane to go see the Gold Coast or should we use public transport. What about within Brisbane? Please help.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:44 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brisbane Holidays

Public transport is ok in Brissie on a holiday - just get the citycat everywhere. I'd hire a car for coming down to GC though. Train comes down but getting to the hot spots from the train isn't the easiest (crap in fact)
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:44 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by idymash
Hi
Spouse and I are planning a holiday of 5 days to Brisbane & Gold Coast. We will be flying there from Perth. Can you'll advise us of must-see places. i also wanted to know if I should arrange for package deals for flight and accommodation or book them separately. Which are some good agents or online sites? We would like to stay in brisbane any advice on where to put up on a budget? Plus would we be better off hiring a car from Brisbane to go see the Gold Coast or should we use public transport. What about within Brisbane? Please help.
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/
http://www.brisbanevisitorsguide.com.au/brisbane.php#
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:56 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Places for young kids?
- 6 year old
- 2 year old

Locals thoughts on:
Wet N Wild?
Sea World?
Movie world?
Australia Zoo?

Would prefer water parks to tire the young ones out.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Places for young kids?
- 6 year old
- 2 year old

Locals thoughts on:
Wet N Wild?
Sea World?
Movie world?
Australia Zoo?

Would prefer water parks to tire the young ones out.
For little one's I'd recommend Sea World and Australia Zoo as the top two for that age group. Sea World has the dolphin and seal shows and the shark enclosure and a pretty good small kids ride section. Australia Zoo is worth a look and if you take the scenic route has a lovely drive through the Glass House Mountains. Movie world has kids themed rides and loads of dressed up people walking around the place, but it's a little bit boring in my opinion. I haven't been to Wet N Wild because the one time we were supposed to go, my son broke his leg badly and then couldn't do anything risky with the leg for another six months and we left Brisbane. We've been to similar parks in other places and I think that the rides are designed for older kids. Though friends have said the the toddlers section at wet n' wild is good. Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary is nice on the Gold Coast too - they have the lorikeet feeding in the afternoon which is always a winner with little kids. South Bank (in Brisbane itself) is a great place for the little one's to swim and have a good day and you can take your own lunch or use the bbq's if you don't want to pay restaurant prices for food.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:07 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
For little one's I'd recommend Sea World and Australia Zoo as the top two for that age group. Sea World has the dolphin and seal shows and the shark enclosure and a pretty good small kids ride section. Australia Zoo is worth a look and if you take the scenic route has a lovely drive through the Glass House Mountains. Movie world has kids themed rides and loads of dressed up people walking around the place, but it's a little bit boring in my opinion. I haven't been to Wet N Wild because the one time we were supposed to go, my son broke his leg badly and then couldn't do anything risky with the leg for another six months and we left Brisbane. We've been to similar parks in other places and I think that the rides are designed for older kids. Though friends have said the the toddlers section at wet n' wild is good. Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary is nice on the Gold Coast too - they have the lorikeet feeding in the afternoon which is always a winner with little kids. South Bank (in Brisbane itself) is a great place for the little one's to swim and have a good day and you can take your own lunch or use the bbq's if you don't want to pay restaurant prices for food.
Thanks for that - agree about movie world unless its a fairy or princess my girls couldnt care. Anything with animals is always a drawcard for the kids

Are the rides by age or by height?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - agree about movie world unless its a fairy or princess my girls couldnt care. Anything with animals is always a drawcard for the kids

Most rides are by height, but most of the ride's at Seaworld are for little one's - my kids were big enough at 4 and 5 for even the log ride type of rides, that go down waterfalls and stuff.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:59 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I was going mention seaworld, they will adore the animals there, the dolphin show was the best that I have ever seen.. are you venturing a little north and coming up to the Sunshine Coast? Or will that be another time?

Em x
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:00 pm
Has left the building

Originally Posted by emelems
I was going mention seaworld, they will adore the animals there, the dolphin show was the best that I have ever seen.. are you venturing a little north and coming up to the Sunshine Coast? Or will that be another time?

Em x
I think we will try and make the most of a good Dec/Jan and therefore try and go as far as Cairns. Dependent on how the kids travel.

Certainly expect to pass through all those places like Sunshine coast and frasers island.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:06 pm
Has left the building

Originally Posted by Kim67
Most rides are by height, but most of the ride's at Seaworld are for little one's - my kids were big enough at 4 and 5 for even the log ride type of rides, that go down waterfalls and stuff.
Thats good mine will definitiely be up for the slides.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we will try and make the most of a good Dec/Jan and therefore try and go as far as Cairns. Dependent on how the kids travel.

Certainly expect to pass through all those places like Sunshine coast and frasers island.
Well there are plenty of great places to see! A couple I would suggest that you have to do is Noosa Heads.. if you stop off at Bundaburg then do the factory tour.. if you have time then go and have a look at 1770 (Agnes Water) and if you get up near Cairns then go and have a look at Kurranda..

Are you hiring a car and touring or campervan style ?

Em x
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:29 pm
Has left the building

Originally Posted by emelems
Well there are plenty of great places to see! A couple I would suggest that you have to do is Noosa Heads.. if you stop off at Bundaburg then do the factory tour.. if you have time then go and have a look at 1770 (Agnes Water) and if you get up near Cairns then go and have a look at Kurranda..

Are you hiring a car and touring or campervan style ?

Em x
Driving up in our landcruiser from Melbourne. Will be a mixture of camping and hotel stays. Not too keen on hotels for point of spending time outdoors with kids but have too treat the wife (who doesn't do camping).
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:25 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Driving up in our landcruiser from Melbourne. Will be a mixture of camping and hotel stays. Not too keen on hotels for point of spending time outdoors with kids but have too treat the wife (who doesn't do camping).
Camping is ace. Tidy up at night though or the monitor lizards and brush turkeys will!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Sunshine Coast

Starting from south, Kings beach while I wouldn't say its family friendly, it does have small water fountains and swimming pool. A little further north, Currimundi lakes(on beach) is good place to chill with small kids because of shallow water. I wouldn't call any of these two special, just handy if you in the area and sea's are rough.

If your coming in on Brisbane road, perhaps just forget about those to the south, start from Mooloolaba and head north. Mooloolaba is worth seeing, nice family beach, marina with Underwater world, Harbour Cruise. Cottontree in Maroochydore has small patch of calm water and park. You can hire boats out for the Maroochy river from Bradman Ave.

Two kilometers past the Maroochy river, take road off which passes Airport (David Low Way), this is the scenic road instead of the main road (Sunshine motorway). Can't miss Coolum beach since road is so close, stop there stretch legs, then on to Noosa. Many nice beaches in between, but they face east so can have rough seas and so aren't as popular for families, but you can have the whole beach to yourself at times if you like that.

Main beach Noosa is possibly best beach on coast, with plush Hastings street just off it. There's also National park to east, you can walk around top side and reach those other three quiet nice beaches. Alexandria bay is maybe too far for kids and you may not want them viewing random naked people.

There are a few family places scattered like crazy golf, lazer tag, bowling and I find the Sunshine Plaza shopping center nice for families with its food court and peddle boats. Not worth going out of the way for, but handy if in area.

Aussie World just as you enter Sunshine Coast, good for families, but perhaps a bit boring after you've come from Gold Coast theme parks. Many cool places in hinterland and views from mountains, etc, but probably not too exciting for the young ones. There's regular stuff happening, festivals and such.

Must see places! Noosa, possibly Mooloolaba.