Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bringing sat nav from uk to oz, pro's and cons

Bringing sat nav from uk to oz, pro's and cons

Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bringing sat nav from uk to oz, pro's and cons

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a sat nav sent from the uk to me here in oz,
can anyone see any pro's and cons with that apart from the fact it won't have aussie maps on.

how much would it cost me to get them on?

Jazzys
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing sat nav from uk to oz, pro's and cons

Yes I'm interested in this as well. In theory if one has a tomtom, they should be able to copy the sd card shouldn't they... ?

IF you can what maps work with what sat navs IE: Tevion (aka aldi) uses navteq version 7 based on Whereis... which is fully compatiable with Nokia products apparently.

A lot of these maps are interchangeable.

I'm just asking the question if you can find someone with the same product hre in Aus can't you just copy their map.

If not why not.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

I have the reverse to think about. I have an HP Ipaq (bought in Australia), with a built in TomTom. Next month we go to Europe for a holiday and I thought it would be nice to get some maps that I can use there. I can find the TomTom website but it seems to be impossible to get any useful information from it. They do not give any telephone numbers, e-mail addresses or anything useful and I cannot find anything in our local telephone directories. I've also tried to phone HP but as with most firms nowadays I have to listen to loads of inane messages, disclaimers and then asked to press buttons, I do this but just go round in circles and seem to get cut off without ever having spoken to a human being who can help me. We leave in just over a couple of weeks so I've more or less given up, they do not seem to want my business anyway, they've made it too hard to deal with them.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

We bought a Tom Tom over with us, bought the Aussie maps. Invaluable. When we bought a 2nd car, we bought a 2nd one here... don't think they are any dearer here, especially if you bring one from the UK & then have to buy the maps.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:54 am
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jazzys
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a sat nav sent from the uk to me here in oz,
can anyone see any pro's and cons with that apart from the fact it won't have aussie maps on.

how much would it cost me to get them on?

Jazzys
Why? just buy one here, and you wont have the need to load in Ozzie maps!

shop around, you'll be amazed on the price differences.

I bought a Tomtom for the wife, it's so easy to use she didnt need the instructions!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomy2tums
Why? just buy one here, and you wont have the need to load in Ozzie maps!

shop around, you'll be amazed on the price differences.

I bought a Tomtom for the wife, it's so easy to use she didnt need the instructions!
I can get one for almost half price comparing halfords to harvey norman.

yeah I need to buy the maps, unless i can download them from somewhere

Jazzys