Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bribie Island Recreation Area

Wikiposts

Bribie Island Recreation Area

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:21 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Bribie Island Recreation Area

Hi all,

We're regular visitors to Woorim on Bribie Island and we only discovered the other day via another thread on this forum that there are other parts of Bribie Island that are accessible by car via the beaches. I've found out where to get the vehicle permits but I'm not sure about our specific car. The site says it would need to be a fully registered four wheel drive. It's registered, of course, but it's a Subaru Forester so it's not exactly a 4x4 but does have hi/low range etc. Does anybody know if this car would be suitable or not? We don't want to get stuck!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:18 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bribie Island Recreation Area

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Hi all,

We're regular visitors to Woorim on Bribie Island and we only discovered the other day via another thread on this forum that there are other parts of Bribie Island that are accessible by car via the beaches. I've found out where to get the vehicle permits but I'm not sure about our specific car. The site says it would need to be a fully registered four wheel drive. It's registered, of course, but it's a Subaru Forester so it's not exactly a 4x4 but does have hi/low range etc. Does anybody know if this car would be suitable or not? We don't want to get stuck!!!
You should be ok. The only challenging part is actually getting on and getting off the beach. The approach is rutted and you require decent clearance.

I have seen Mazda Tribunes on the beach which have not got stuck.

We have been frequenting Bribie for nearly 3 years and the layout changes after significant storms. There is a lagoon about 1km further down and you can cross the mouth of it if you wish to drive further along the beach, but this is down to confidence and abilities.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Just out of curiousity,how much are the permits now.
thx
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:07 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
You should be ok. The only challenging part is actually getting on and getting off the beach. The approach is rutted and you require decent clearance.

I have seen Mazda Tribunes on the beach which have not got stuck.

We have been frequenting Bribie for nearly 3 years and the layout changes after significant storms. There is a lagoon about 1km further down and you can cross the mouth of it if you wish to drive further along the beach, but this is down to confidence and abilities.
Thanks for that, it's really helpful info. Do you know if there are many lagoons to visit..? I've found this map but it only mentions two and I'm not entirely sure how you get to them as the car trails don't seem to go anywhere near them. Is there any particularly area you'd recommend to visit with a little'un for a day trip..? I'm hoping to persuade the other half to take a trip up there again this weekend.

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/media/park...bie_island.pdf

Originally Posted by donna
Just out of curiousity,how much are the permits now. thx
I've only got half way through the check out so I can't be 100% sure but it looks like 12 months is $110.80

Last edited by FluffieFaerie; Mar 3rd 2009 at 6:09 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:37 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

If you stay on the hard sand near the water but not in it you should be fine but don't go near the soft stuff as we've even got stuck in that on an expat day playing beat the tide. Best time for you would go would be after heavy rain as even the track in and out is quite hard and packed as result of rain panning it out.

Have you been to the right of the bridge as you come on Bribie go all the way along to the right and you come to park but not beach and if you go left after bridge it brings you to a bird sanctuary that is great for watching the tiny crabs appear and disapear by their thousands.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:33 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Thanks for that, it's really helpful info. Do you know if there are many lagoons to visit..? I've found this map but it only mentions two and I'm not entirely sure how you get to them as the car trails don't seem to go anywhere near them. Is there any particularly area you'd recommend to visit with a little'un for a day trip..? I'm hoping to persuade the other half to take a trip up there again this weekend.
We access at Ocean Beach access track and drive along the beach, (you need to check tide times though) and head just beyond Mermaid Lagoon - which is great fun.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:14 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
We access at Ocean Beach access track and drive along the beach, (you need to check tide times though) and head just beyond Mermaid Lagoon - which is great fun.
You can go all the way to the end but beware the don't go past this point sign as if you do it's soft sand for sure...