Bribie Island

Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

rosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nice
Default Bribie Island

Can anyone give us some advise on Bribie Island and what it is like to live there? We visited the Island in february when we were validating our visas and we were drawn to it.

As we have 2 young monsters, information on schooling and activities would be a great help.

Any information please, warts and all........

La
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

heg3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bribie Island

Don't know about the primary school, but the high school is not very good.

Lots of older people on Bribie but still lots of young families. It retains that 'island outpost' feeling which I like, even though it's only 40mins from Brisbane cbd.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:31 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosebee
Can anyone give us some advise on Bribie Island and what it is like to live there? We visited the Island in february when we were validating our visas and we were drawn to it.

As we have 2 young monsters, information on schooling and activities would be a great help.

La
I am led to believe it is god's waiting room
Old Jun 13th 2008, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=rosebee;6461205]Can anyone give us some advise on Bribie Island and what it is like to live there? We visited the Island in february when we were validating our visas and we were drawn to it.

Drawn to the Island, sure you have the right Island?

Magnetic Island
Old Jun 14th 2008, 11:23 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by heg3
Don't know about the primary school, but the high school is not very good.

Lots of older people on Bribie but still lots of young families. It retains that 'island outpost' feeling which I like, even though it's only 40mins from Brisbane cbd.
40 minutes from Brisbane??????

Is it 'eck as like!!!

Add an hour and you'll be on course!!!! It would prolly take 40 mins to get to the motorway behind all the old gits off to the shops!!!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

rosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nice

Begining to wonder if anyone is going to give constructive comments instead of just posting daft comments for the sake of it.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Chocolate_Teapot is a jewel in the roughChocolate_Teapot is a jewel in the roughChocolate_Teapot is a jewel in the roughChocolate_Teapot is a jewel in the rough

I work on Bribie, the schools are not that bad I am led to believe but look at the statistics for the schools at the government web site.
As for living, it seems idillic although there are the have and have nots so still has a feral population.
Some of the older houses are run down and expensive although the next bit to take off is Worrim on the surf side...cheap at the moment but lots of developments planned and lots of locals investing.
Employments is limited and bear in mind it takes 20 minutes to get from Bribie to motor way from there its 40 mins to city / southern suburbs.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Ozzy Wozzy is an unknown quantity at this point

We visited Bribie island in March as part of our Reccie.
We had stayed in Brisbane, visited the Gold Coast, visited Jacobs Well, Coomera Waters, Pacific Pines but when we crossed the bridge into Bribie we fell in love with it.

We spent a few days with the real estate agents and looked around a lot of homes.

Some incredible value for money with houses, shopping centre is fine.
We even took the train to Brisbane again to see what the commute would be like if we had to work in Brisbane. An hour on the train was easy and clean and hassle free.

We have the telephone interview for our visa's coming up tomorrow and when we get the visas we cannot wait to go.

Can't wait to kayak along the passage and surf side looks great for the doggies.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:21 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Begining to wonder if anyone is going to give constructive comments instead of just posting daft comments for the sake of it.
Welcome to BE!!

My comment WAS constructive! It will take you in the region of an hour and a half and upwards to commute to Brissy from Bribie in the rush hour (or 2 hours either side of it as it never seems to end)!!

Personally, I think Bribie is ace! Could never live there though! If you like solitude and peace and quiet - go forrit! If you like just a 'little' bit of life - don't!

It really is a retirement home - give it 10 years and it will change. Brisbane is growing so fast that places like Bribie are fast becoming desirable. Right now though - I wouldn't!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:09 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Went to Bribie at Lunchtime today and came back this evening.

Took an hour and a half each way to the city.

The traffic was quiet and I was pushing it.

.....in fact I think I got clocked by a speed trap doing 120 Kmh

G
Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

heg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get from Bribie to somewhere like Carseldine or Apsley in 40 mins.

Re schools: I tutored a girl from Bribie High School and got the impression that the standard of teaching and level of work was not great. Caboolture is a little better but still not as good as some state schools on the Sunshine Coast or in central Brisbane. There are lots of private schools around the place but I don't think they're any better than the good state schools.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for their comments they are appreciated and welcome, like others we have looked all around Brisbane, from the Gold Coast to the Sunshine coast and alot of places in between.

We just felt that Bribie would be a nice place to bring up our two monsters and at the same time be not too far away from my sister. As for location and drive to Brisbane we are not too worried about that as the oh is hoping to go back off shore to work. As for me well, I can't see any problem with being a kept women..........

Thanks also for the welcome to BE, I am one of March 07 applicants and have been around a long time (feel as if I have been here for ever). Our visa was granted last year and like many others we have been caught up in the housing crisis. Hence the trip to Brisbane to validate our visas in March, all going well with our house sale we hope to be in Oz in August.

Lesley-ann
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:58 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

La

My old boss lives there and all 4 of her kids grew up there and loved it. Lots of out door beach stuff, surfing and boating and fishing if that's what rocks your boat.

It's getting a younger crowd now as it's doing a lot more marina style housing but prices of original houses is rocketting.

Would be worth keeping on the list.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:59 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
40 minutes from Brisbane??????

Is it 'eck as like!!!

Add an hour and you'll be on course!!!! It would prolly take 40 mins to get to the motorway behind all the old gits off to the shops!!!
It takes 40 minutes to Brisbane from Petrie in rush hour, so I'd agree with you Fluff on the time estimate.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:37 pm
At home in Qld

theelliotts is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for their comments they are appreciated and welcome, like others we have looked all around Brisbane, from the Gold Coast to the Sunshine coast and alot of places in between.

We just felt that Bribie would be a nice place to bring up our two monsters and at the same time be not too far away from my sister. As for location and drive to Brisbane we are not too worried about that as the oh is hoping to go back off shore to work. As for me well, I can't see any problem with being a kept women..........

Thanks also for the welcome to BE, I am one of March 07 applicants and have been around a long time (feel as if I have been here for ever). Our visa was granted last year and like many others we have been caught up in the housing crisis. Hence the trip to Brisbane to validate our visas in March, all going well with our house sale we hope to be in Oz in August.

Lesley-ann
Hi Lesley-Ann

We moved to Oz in October and have lived in Bribie (Bongaree) since then as whilst our container was being shipped over, there were a good choice of furnished holiday-type houses etc. If you are moving to Oz for lifestyle - Bribie is great - lots of good child-friendly beaches, parks, cafes etc. There are two primary schools - Bribie State and Banksia Beach.

We have two young girls and my eldest who has just turned 6 goes to Bribie School as we live in Bongaree. It is different to her previous school in the UK (and for me has taken some adjustment) but she loves it and her teacher is putting her at the appropriate level of teaching eg she is learning some subjects at grade 3 level as opposed to grade 1. There is also about 3 childcare centres/kindergartens and also a community kindergarten which is more of a preschool but you need to be aware there may be a waiting list!

There is a good choice of shops, restaurants, cinema and clubs. For other shopping, we tend to head into Morayfield which is a 30min drive. My hubby works in Brendale which takes him 45mins to an hour drive.

Re, the concept of Bribie being quiet and a retirement community - it isn't!! Yes, there are some retirment villages for the over 50s but there are a lot of families and an increasing amount of UK expats on the island and around locally in Ningi etc.

Hope this helps. Any other queries, let me know.

Best of luck, Nina