Wikiposts

Bread Makers

Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:49 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bread Makers

Originally Posted by Grayling
I've just had some nice cottage pie
My OH makes a wicked cottage pie but uses lean minced pork for it instead. Tastes amazing - will never use beef for it again.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just had some nice cottage pie
I have some good ham and Branston pickle but only shitty old store bought bread I will have to rough it.
I will either get the breadmaker out tomorrow or have a trip to Miettes
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:52 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

...and rock cakes!
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:52 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
My OH makes a wicked cottage pie but uses lean minced pork for it instead. Tastes amazing - will never use beef for it again.
Sounds good.

I put a little Cumin, Thyme and capsicum in with the beef......gives it a bit of a kick.

G
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by emelems
mmmmmmmmmm...

I remember many a morning having bubble and squeak for brekkie when cabbage was in abundance in the garden.. (memory lane blah blah blah!)

Em x
My dad used to make that. Love it!

BE is amazing for taking us down memory lane
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:57 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

My panasonic makes delicious bread. I usually follow the recipe on the flour packet, because different flours have different absorbtion rates. I imagine the would be the case with overseas produced flour too. If in OZ get a recipe written for the Oz market.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:58 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

ps. make sure you get proper 'strong' breadmaking flour.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:59 pm
Banned

Sounds good.

I put a little Cumin, Thyme and capsicum in with the beef......gives it a bit of a kick.

G
I just give my wife a packet of mince, some spuds and steer her into the kitchen to work her magic
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jmh
ps. make sure you get proper 'strong' breadmaking flour.
Good point
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:14 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I am watching my breadmaker with very suspect eyes.. I think my breadmaker is just too big for most recipes.. the mixture seems tiny compared with the 2.5lb loaf tin!

Suppose the fact that I open the lid to have a nose at it prob isnt helping!

Em x
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:15 am
Banned

I am watching my breadmaker with very suspect eyes.. I think my breadmaker is just too big for most recipes.. the mixture seems tiny compared with the 2.5lb loaf tin!

Suppose the fact that I open the lid to have a nose at it prob isnt helping!

Em x

Noooo!!! Don't lift the lid!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Me and OH have just had a barney about ours... he reckons that he knew it would just end up in the cupboard under-used! hmphf!

I am still awaiting a die-hard recipe that works!!! Have tried a few but it all ends up resembling a house brick!!!

Anyone???

Em x
The basic recipe I use is as follows:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup lukewarm milk
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons yeast

Put into the pan in the proper order...Milk, salt, flour, sugar, yeast. Put your machine on the dough cycle and when it's done mixing take it out of the pan. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover. Let it rise for about an hour. Punch down the dough, knead for 5 minutes, roll into a rectangle and then roll up like a jelly roll. Place into a bread pan with the seam side down and let rise again for 30 minutes before putting into a pre-heated 190 oven. Bake about 20-25 minutes or until nicely browned. You know it's done when the bread sounds hollow if you tap on the top. For a soft crust brush the top with a little butter while it's still hot. Cool loaves out of the pans on a wire rack as soon as you take it out of the oven.

You can tweak the recipe to add different flavours. Sometimes I'll add cinnamon and raisins and more brown sugar when I do the jelly roll thing so it's sweet. My husband loves one I make with grated parmesan cheese and finely chopped chili peppers. Experiment - flour and water are relatively cheap, so if it doesn't work don't sweat chucking it out.
Don't bother with a bread maker.

I make all my bread by hand....the old fashioned way

Only takes a few minutes and is really pretty easy.

G
Me too. I love to bake.
Flour (whatever mix you like), Water (I use beer as it feeds the yeast), salt...it tastes bland without a little salt, Yeast (dried fast acting yeast is fine).

I also add a little bran, for texture and olive oil, for taste.

Mix together to form a stiffish dough.....knead for up to 10 minutes...put in a greased bread tin and wait for it to rise (about 1.5 hours) and bake in the oven at 230.0c for 15 minutes then reduce to 210.0c for 15 minutes.

Allow to cool ....then eat.

G
Dark beer with rye flour. Throw in some caraway seeds and it makes a great loaf.
I forgot about the lemon meringues with lemons from the garden.....and the marmalade
I can't wait for our lemon tree to actually have lemons. The OH's favourite is lemon meringue pie.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:33 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Was sort of hoping to go for more quality than quantity ie stop using supermarket and limit ourselves to what we make ourselves.

Perhaps it might also help that we control what goes into the bread? or is that being too naive on this bread making journey?

Has anyone tried making giant muffins? A french friend claims to do this but secretly I think he goes up to the local bakery before we wake up.
Hi Geelong Gent,
we've just given ours away when we sold our house. I am not sure of the make but I can say that it was brilliant and ours had a quick bake (1hr) which was fine and we used it a lot. The advantage is that you know what's in the mix and I got a strange sort of pride in knowing that I'd made it - well, the machine but I put the ingredients in.

Happy baking
Cooler
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:35 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Put into the pan in the proper order...Milk, salt, flour, sugar, yeast. .
Now that's interesting, because mine says to put it in the order of yeast, flour and the liquids last. Maybe follow the order it says in the manual. Or try both!!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Now that's interesting, because mine says to put it in the order of yeast, flour and the liquids last. Maybe follow the order it says in the manual. Or try both!!
Just so long as the wet and dry are seperated. And never, never put salt and yeast together. Salt kills yeast. Sugar goes with yeast as it feeds it and helps your bread rise higher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.