British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Bowen Therapy? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/bowen-therapy-776220/)

cresta57 Oct 30th 2012 9:31 pm

Bowen Therapy?

I've been going to a physio for the last three months working on the bursitis in my shoulder. I'd had three cortisone injections prior to the physio with mixed results. I pay $60 bucks per session with the physio & sometimes I'm not in the room 15 mins. I've been doing the same strengthening exercises at home twice a day with the silicon tubing for the three months & it had helped to the point that I was almost pain free. The last session was last week & he gave me a 2 kilo dumbell to hold in my hand while I did another exercise. Within 2 days I had tennis elbow as bad as the bursitis ever was. Now he wants to treat me for that as well. Another 6-8 sessions at $60 bucks.
Talking to a few mates they recommend a guy down the road from me, he's a doctor that practices Bowen Therapy. As he's a GP registered with medicare not only are the sessions part covered by medicare he can also provide the cortisone injections if required.
Anyone used Bowen Therapy?

knockoff nige Oct 30th 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Bowen Therapy?

Physio for tennis elbow? That goes away on it's on. Perhaps he's looking to address a reason why it happened, maybe a long term joint problem?

Tuxtrip Oct 30th 2012 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 10358063)
I've been going to a physio for the last three months working on the bursitis in my shoulder. I'd had three cortisone injections prior to the physio with mixed results. I pay $60 bucks per session with the physio & sometimes I'm not in the room 15 mins. I've been doing the same strengthening exercises at home twice a day with the silicon tubing for the three months & it had helped to the point that I was almost pain free. The last session was last week & he gave me a 2 kilo dumbell to hold in my hand while I did another exercise. Within 2 days I had tennis elbow as bad as the bursitis ever was. Now he wants to treat me for that as well. Another 6-8 sessions at $60 bucks.
Talking to a few mates they recommend a guy down the road from me, he's a doctor that practices Bowen Therapy. As he's a GP registered with medicare not only are the sessions part covered by medicare he can also provide the cortisone injections if required.
Anyone used Bowen Therapy?

I have used Bowen Therapy and had great results. Definitely give it a go. I think you have sufficiently lined your Physio's pockets.

kazbob Oct 30th 2012 11:30 pm

I have used Bowen Therapy for my bad back and it worked fantastic, I had previously had physio, acupuncture and massage.

I was so impressed that I recommended it to other people who have also had great success.

Good luck

Kaz

Sherlock Holmes Oct 31st 2012 12:52 am

I'd certainly give it a go. One thing I have heard (from people that I treat with other therapies) is that Bowen seems to either work really well, or hardly at all.

Lay off the cortisone if you possibly can; it can have long term negative effects.

I like the idea of a medical practitioner using alternative remedies. It seems quite common in Australia which is a good thing.

Broad Shoulders Oct 31st 2012 2:24 am

I just got back from there. It's a sh!thole and it doesn't work

The mangoes are nice though

jothefw Oct 31st 2012 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes (Post 10358283)
. One thing I have heard (from people that I treat with other therapies) is that Bowen seems to either work really well, or hardly at all.

Yep - I fell into the "didn't work at all" bracket. Had some neck pain after a quad bike accident. Bowen seems to be a weird practice of suggestion, as in, my guy would do something and then say, look that moves better, doesn't it? And I'd be thinking to myself, well no, it's just the same but you've waggled my arm? :huh:

Tried twice but I know other friends have used the same guy and had great results, horses for courses and all that.

Hebe Oct 31st 2012 8:25 am

A couple of my friends have tried Platelet Rich Plasma http://www.recreationmedicalcentre.c...eatments_.html hurts like hell but both had fabulous results. Going to try for patella tendinitis once I sort out my torn meniscus!!

cresta57 Oct 31st 2012 11:17 am

Originally Posted by knockoff nige (Post 10358090)
Physio for tennis elbow? That goes away on it's on. Perhaps he's looking to address a reason why it happened, maybe a long term joint problem?

Lol maybe it would go away if it had long enough to rest. I'm a self employed tiler & at the moment I'm averaging over 100m2 per week. The perils of being self employed, you make hay while the sun shines.

Some mixed responses here, the folks I've spoken to rave about it's benefits. As a natural sceptic I tend to favour medicine rather than alternate remedies. I've seen some very positive results though. So I guess I'll give it a go

scrawni Oct 31st 2012 1:12 pm

Try to find a good remedial massage therapist, should help you heaps. They should be covered for medicare. I don't mean one that is in the shopping centres or beauty salons.

I had problems with my elbow and I dipped it in iced water, 10-15 seconds at a time for about 1/2 hour at a time. When I was cooking tea I filled the sink with ice and water and kept dipping it in every minute or so. This may take several days for the inflammation to go down. On top of this do stretching and massage your forearm etc as well. The pain could be also coming from you neck or shoulder so make sure they get worked on too.

Bowen looks good but I too have heard mixed reviews.

Damson Nov 1st 2012 6:15 pm

I had Cortisone for my Bursitus and it was rubbish. Physio did sort me out, but she came very highly recommended and was excellent. The good news is that it is curable; I haven't had even a twinge from mine in 4 years. good luck with the treatment.

cresta57 Nov 1st 2012 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Damson (Post 10361188)
I had Cortisone for my Bursitus and it was rubbish. Physio did sort me out, but she came very highly recommended and was excellent. The good news is that it is curable; I haven't had even a twinge from mine in 4 years. good luck with the treatment.

I had three injections over 6 months. The first worked the doc hit the inflamed tissue with minimal probing, we could see the needle on the ultra sound. Second was a different doc, he'd got the needle in before the tech had the ultra sound pad on my shoulder, total waste of both our time. Third time yet another doc, frighteningly incompetent, three attempts just to get the needle in & hands trembling so much he was never going to get all of the dose in the right spot:frown: Pain relief lasted a couple of weeks.
The physio has been good in that I know what I was doing wrong & have taken steps to change my posture etc. The exercises have pulled my shoulder blade back into position again. I just want rid of the tennis elbow now. Hence the Bowen idea.

Hebe Nov 2nd 2012 9:45 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 10361474)
I had three injections over 6 months. The first worked the doc hit the inflamed tissue with minimal probing, we could see the needle on the ultra sound. Second was a different doc, he'd got the needle in before the tech had the ultra sound pad on my shoulder, total waste of both our time. Third time yet another doc, frighteningly incompetent, three attempts just to get the needle in & hands trembling so much he was never going to get all of the dose in the right spot:frown: Pain relief lasted a couple of weeks.
The physio has been good in that I know what I was doing wrong & have taken steps to change my posture etc. The exercises have pulled my shoulder blade back into position again. I just want rid of the tennis elbow now. Hence the Bowen idea.

See if they have anything local to what I posted previously

cresta57 Nov 2nd 2012 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Hebe (Post 10362109)
See if they have anything local to what I posted previously

They do:thumbup:

Bernieboy Nov 2nd 2012 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 10362147)
They do:thumbup:

When did you take up tennis:blink: