Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bottled water banned in NSW?

Bottled water banned in NSW?

Old Jul 9th 2009, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default Bottled water banned in NSW?

http://www.theage.com.au/environment...0709-ddyh.html

Seems like there's a few nutters in charge of the NSW government, first they ban tim tams at city hall, now bottled water, and some towns have taken it on. I agree that something should be done to reduce consumption of oil and plastics, but a good working recycling program is what's needed. Banning bottled water in a country that temperatures can reach 50°+ is not a good idea for people or is it?

Surely banning all the soft drinks cans and beer bottles would come above water bottles?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bottled water banned in NSW?

Originally Posted by jimbo_d

Seems like there's a few nutters in charge of the NSW government, first they ban tim tams at city hall, now bottled water, and some towns have taken it on. I agree that something should be done to reduce consumption of oil and plastics, but a good working recycling program is what's needed. Banning bottled water in a country that temperatures can reach 50°+ is not a good idea for people or is it?

Surely banning all the soft drinks cans and beer bottles would come above water bottles?
About time they started banning bottled water. It is the biggest con ever. Some bottled water contains tap water anyway.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 1:49 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

I always carry a bottle of water which I fill from whatever potable water supply I happen to be near. Too canny to pay for what is free.

Some people not only can't get rid of their money quick enough by buying unneccessary stuff like bottled water but feel compelled to get into debt to do so by tossing it on the credit card.

Fools and their money are quickly parted as demonstrated by people buying bottled water. If not that then what-ever-else.

Better to ban fools than ban bottled water.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 1:59 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by WillBlack
I always carry a bottle of water which I fill from whatever potable water supply I happen to be near. Too canny to pay for what is free.

Some people not only can't get rid of their money quick enough by buying unneccessary stuff like bottled water but feel compelled to get into debt to do so by tossing it on the credit card.

Fools and their money are quickly parted as demonstrated by people buying bottled water. If not that then what-ever-else.

Better to ban fools than ban bottled water.
Nicely put. Whenever I buy bottled water, I'm buying it for the bottle and then refill it again and again and again...
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Nicely put. Whenever I buy bottled water, I'm buying it for the bottle and then refill it again and again and again...
Actually you should only re-use a plastic water bottle a few times. The lining breaks down after a few fills as they're only designed to be used once, and then cancer causing dioxins will get into the water. This is why you should also never leave a bottle of water in the heat or sun as this causes the same effect to rapidly increase. Use a bike bottle or equivalent as they're designed to be reused.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:15 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Actually you should only re-use a plastic water bottle a few times. The lining breaks down after a few fills as they're only designed to be used once, and then cancer causing dioxins will get into the water. This is why you should also never leave a bottle of water in the heat or sun as this causes the same effect to rapidly increase. Use a bike bottle or equivalent as they're designed to be reused.
I think it takes six months plus for the plastic to degrade (I could be wrong), but I only re-use it for a couple of weeks anyway, just in case.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

twizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the rough

Not necessarily true
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/plasticbottles.asp
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

That dioxin from PET bottles is a myth.

However reusing plastic bottles over longer term is not a good idea as they are a very good place for bacteria to grow.

Problem can be solved by regular washing or filling with chlorinated water only.

Same for kids school drink bottles, they must be washed frequently.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:38 am
ABCDiamond

Seems like there's a few nutters in charge of the NSW government,
Well, Yes

Banning bottled water in a country that temperatures can reach 50°+ is not a good idea for people or is it?
They have air con in the government offices, so the heat isn't a problem to them. They can drink tap water, same as most of those that pay their wages do.
NSW Premier Nathan Rees has announced an immediate ban on all departments and agencies buying bottled water, including supplies for water coolers.
Bundanoons ban on selling commercially bottled water, is a bit different, but they have gone to the trouble of installing Free water fountains in the village, so people can get free water at any time. They only have a population of about 2,000 anyway.

Not exactly all over NSW....

Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I agree its the biggest con ever bottled water. I mean its water, and it comes from the tap, river, dam, whatever.

Its causing pollution when there is no need for the product. We can all have a reusable water bottle and fill it ourselves surely.

Completely agree with the ban and it should be banned.

Litter is another problem with it.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:04 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Are you suggesting that my Evian water does not come directly from the tears of God falling down the breast of an angel before being frozen in a glacier to be finally purified by thousands of years of filtration through gold, platinum and the crushed marble of the statue of Michelangeo ?

I'm shattered. I will never drink again.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
they have gone to the trouble of installing Free water fountains in the village, so people can get free water at any time.
[insert shudder smilie] Seeing how people generally use those fountains ... I'd rather go thirsty than touch one of them. Talk about collecting bacteria .... SHUDDER
(Hopefully their fountains are a different design.)
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:33 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
[insert shudder smilie] Seeing how people generally use those fountains ... I'd rather go thirsty than touch one of them. Talk about collecting bacteria .... SHUDDER
(Hopefully their fountains are a different design.)
Can't get Badoit here, more's the pity. Best water on the planet.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to recall a story on a current affairs show in Oz many years ago when bottled water first became popular.Someone got a job undercover,and filmed the staff filling up the huge water tanks on those trucks from the mains water with a hose pipe!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:27 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Can't get Badoit here, more's the pity. Best water on the planet.
Make your own using this analysis: Badoit

Each litre (1,000 g) It contains a total of 1.851 g of various dissolved ions. Meaning that it is 99.8149% water.

Dissolve a small pinch of calcium, sodium, magnesium bicarbonate in the indicated proportions in distilled or deionized water and you have it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.