Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bored in Adelaide will Melbourne do it?

Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all
Default Re: Bored in Adelaide will Melbourne do it?

Where are you now, have you been away from Adelaide then?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:40 am
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lickylady
Where are you now, have you been away from Adelaide then?
We have been living overseas for almost 18 months, we spent 12 months in the UK and now we're in Spain until late March, then we fly back home! Yay!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all

I have always wanted to live in Spain, have been there many many times. Where abouts are you? If I could travel to UK/Europe a couple of times a year I think I would feel better living my day to day life here however, with only 4 weeks a year holiday its not possible. I do go back to the UK every year for 3 weeks and a week in Spain and is does keep me looking forward to it but a year is a long time to wait till it comes around again. What I need is a job that allows me to fly to Europe 4 or more times a year!!!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

We're living in Conil de la Frontera, we love it here but couldn't stay longer than 4/5 months as it is very quiet. We actually really miss Bristol, we loved it there and would love to live there again one day, maybe when we have kids. We are both well and truly ready to go back home to Adelaide though, my husbands family is very close knit and everyone is ready for us to come back. We had a few visits from ours parents while we were away and that has helped with the homesickness so much, I think I really crave familiarity though, and that is something I get in bucket loads in Adelaide!
The thing about Australia is that it is soooooo far away from everything, I only really realised that after living in the UK where you can be in another country in a couple of hours.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:13 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

How could anyone get bored in Adelaide" The city of Churches" as its called.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:38 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
How could anyone get bored in Adelaide" The city of Churches" as its called.
God your a PLANK............mm
Old Jan 29th 2010, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Browchay is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Bored in Adelaide will Melbourne do it?

Hi, I'm new to the board and have been trawling through a number of threads about Adelaide and the surrounds. We've just started our migration process and still have a long way to go but will likely make the move in a couple of years time and have always thought about Adelaide.

If its not a rude question whats the average age of everyone on this particular thread ? By the time we move we'll be in our mid 40's with two little girls (are 6 and 3 now). I always felt that Adelaide would be pretty laid back and not overly exciting with regards to nightlife, pubs clubs etc.

We presently life in Luxembourg and its pretty rural here but does have a good vibe. I'm worried that we'll move to Adelaide and it'll be far too sleepy and we'll be hankering for Melbourne or Perth.

Pros and Cons anyone ?

cheers !
Old Jan 29th 2010, 2:44 pm
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Browchay
Hi, I'm new to the board and have been trawling through a number of threads about Adelaide and the surrounds. We've just started our migration process and still have a long way to go but will likely make the move in a couple of years time and have always thought about Adelaide.

If its not a rude question whats the average age of everyone on this particular thread ? By the time we move we'll be in our mid 40's with two little girls (are 6 and 3 now). I always felt that Adelaide would be pretty laid back and not overly exciting with regards to nightlife, pubs clubs etc.

We presently life in Luxembourg and its pretty rural here but does have a good vibe. I'm worried that we'll move to Adelaide and it'll be far too sleepy and we'll be hankering for Melbourne or Perth.

Pros and Cons anyone ?

cheers !

Hi, I'm from Adelaide, not sure what the average age ofeveryone is but I am 31. I'm not sure what kind of lifestyle you have but Adelaide isn't a sleepy place, yes it is smaller than the other cities in Australia but it had HEAPS of fantastic restaurants and cafes, great boutique shops, lots of pubs and bars. We really miss our lifestyle in Adelaide, after being away overseas for almost 18 months we really miss the social life we have back home. Also, like all other places in Australia, it depends what area you live in, we live by one of the nicest areas on the seaside in Adelaide and love it, the Adelaide Hills are also beautiful, I grew up there.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

We did it the other way round. Started off our new life in Melbourne, after 9 months we hated it!! Almost went back to the UK, but instead we moved to Adelaide and wished we'd come here first, I guess it all depends on what your looking for and to some extent where you come from.
Melbourne has got to have one of the worst driving records in the whole of Aus (my opinion only) driving bumper to bumper over the West Gate bridge at 70 - 100 ks an hour certainly isn't my idea of fun, nor was the 90 min commute into the City each day (took 15 mins off peak). Every weekend the news was full of more youngesters dead due to road accidents
The weather is unpredicatable to say the least, Hot grey overcast days, peeing down the next, Xmas day (1996) it actually hailed ! 16 degrees, it was bloody freezing (well it felt it).
It's known for it's muliculture, there are hundreds of cafe's, bars and restaurants of every nationality you can think of and probably some you have never heard of. In the 9 months we were there i only met half a dozen aussies, (more than 1st generation) the rest were immigrants too, Italian, greek, lebonese, Serbian, Tongans, English, Mascadionian, Chinese ect ect ect. Though not an issue in itself the fact that these different cultures all wanted to hold on to their own cultures. Not to intergrate with other backgrounds/ cultures is hardly embracing your new counrty and it's ways, it did cause some problems, Lebonese fighting with Chinese, Masadonians against Serbians ect
in Melbourne it felt like anywhere but Australia
Adelaide is more laid back, a country town sounds quite pathetic (again IMO)
City if churches is just a crock of chit, there seemed to be far more churches of every denomination in Melbourne than there are in Adelaide.
The weather here is predictable, the changes in the seasons are obvious, Winter gets cooler (not cold though compared to the UK) and the Summers are long and hot. The beaches are beautiful, there are hundreds of cafes/bars ect not just along the coast line.
Its definantly more laid back here, but well we prefer it that way. And it feels like we are in Australia not just another city anywhere in the world.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanandmaria
We did it the other way round. Started off our new life in Melbourne, after 9 months we hated it!! Almost went back to the UK, but instead we moved to Adelaide and wished we'd come here first, I guess it all depends on what your looking for and to some extent where you come from.
Melbourne has got to have one of the worst driving records in the whole of Aus (my opinion only) driving bumper to bumper over the West Gate bridge at 70 - 100 ks an hour certainly isn't my idea of fun, nor was the 90 min commute into the City each day (took 15 mins off peak). Every weekend the news was full of more youngesters dead due to road accidents
The weather is unpredicatable to say the least, Hot grey overcast days, peeing down the next, Xmas day (1996) it actually hailed ! 16 degrees, it was bloody freezing (well it felt it).
It's known for it's muliculture, there are hundreds of cafe's, bars and restaurants of every nationality you can think of and probably some you have never heard of. In the 9 months we were there i only met half a dozen aussies, (more than 1st generation) the rest were immigrants too, Italian, greek, lebonese, Serbian, Tongans, English, Mascadionian, Chinese ect ect ect. Though not an issue in itself the fact that these different cultures all wanted to hold on to their own cultures. Not to intergrate with other backgrounds/ cultures is hardly embracing your new counrty and it's ways, it did cause some problems, Lebonese fighting with Chinese, Masadonians against Serbians ect
City if churches is just a crock of chit, there seemed to be far more churches of every denomination in Melbourne than there are in Adelaide.
The weather here is predictable, the changes in the seasons are obvious, Winter gets cooler (not cold though compared to the UK) and the Summers are long and hot. The beaches are beautiful, there are hundreds of cafes/bars ect not just along the coast line.
Its definantly more laid back here, but well we prefer it that way. And it feels like we are in Australia not just another city anywhere in the world.
Interesting - your experience of Melbourne is the polar opposite of mine - just goes to show...... location, location....
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
Dandenong is too far out and far too quiet - difficult without know your budget for rental or buying but you could look at North of the city in Brunswick or Carlton, there is lots to do, easy access to the City.

However, if you want beach side then somewhere around Elsternwick or Elwood would be good - again near the City, St Kilda, Beach - transport is not so good in Elwood but if you have a car you will be fine. Taxi back from town also relatively cheap.

If you want even further out then try Brighton area - shopping, eateries, easy access to City by train (about 20 minutes)
Depends what her budget is and how far she's prepared to travel for some action. I presume she's talking about the Dandenongs - 40 mins out - maybe too far, maybe not.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanandmaria
It's definitely a perception/location thing. I thought that might be the case for Melbourne - not the real Australia - but spoken like a real Victorian - there is no other place I would be....not until I retire in any case..

There is that ethnic thing going on but you have to be at the wrong end of it to experience the bad bits. Very much so. The weather does change and goes in cycles - but they predict it very well in deed.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:56 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Bored in Adelaide will Melbourne do it?

You obviously dont live in Adelaide do you? If so you would know that most items of furniture have to be delivered from Melbourne and can take up to 6 weeks.
LOL, what? I live in Adelaide and I've never experienced this. In fact, I went furniture shopping at two places this week. Both are based in Adelaide; the first will be delivering my new dining table and chair ensemble on the 9th (could have been the 2nd if they'd had a cancellation) while the other will be delivering a home entertainment unit (built from scratch) in 15 working days. Neither of them are ordering from Melbourne!

Unless you've personally conducted an exhaustive survey of Adelaide furniture suppliers, I don't think you're in any position to claim that "most items of furniture have to be delivered from Melbourne and can take up to 6 weeks." That's just ludicrous.

Back on topic... yes, move to Melbourne. If Adelaide is too small and slow, Melbourne should be fine. It's a fantastic place. If I didn't have so many friends and family in Adelaide I would have moved to Melbourne myself. Hell, let's face it: I'm just glad to be out of Walsall. I love waking up in the morning and realising that Birmingham is now on the other side of the world. It's a wonderful feeling.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jan 30th 2010 at 10:59 am.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
LOL, what? I live in Adelaide and I've never experienced this. In fact, I went furniture shopping at two places this week. Both are based in Adelaide; the first will be delivering my new dining table and chair ensemble on the 9th (could have been the 2nd if they'd had a cancellation) while the other will be delivering a home entertainment unit (built from scratch) in 15 working days. Neither of them are ordering from Melbourne!

Unless you've personally conducted an exhaustive survey of Adelaide furniture suppliers, I don't think you're in any position to claim that "most items of furniture have to be delivered from Melbourne and can take up to 6 weeks." That's just ludicrous.

Back on topic... yes, move to Melbourne. If Adelaide is too small and slow, Melbourne should be fine. It's a fantastic place. If I didn't have so many friends and family in Adelaide I would have moved to Melbourne myself. Hell, let's face it: I'm just glad to be out of Walsall. I love waking up in the morning and realising that Birmingham is now on the other side of the world. It's a wonderful feeling.
Im amazed at how people have to get so "agressive and defensive" especially about such things as "furniture shops". I am not asking for information on where furniture shops etc are in Adelaide, and yes I have looked extensively throughtout Adelaide, north, south, east and west. Granted there are a few shops that do have different stuff but in general its the same from le Cornu to Harvey Norman, Freedom etc etc. Its not just about furniture so get over that bit. My question was has anyone moved from Adelaide to Melbourne for the same reasons as "I" ask, not, does anyone who lives in Adelaide and thinks its wonderful want to slate me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.