Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bored in Adelaide will Melbourne do it?

Bored in Adelaide will Melbourne do it?

Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:23 am
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bored in Adelaide will Melbourne do it?

Originally Posted by Simon-in-Chicago
Adelaide is like Milton Keynes down under minus the excitment.
That made my tea come back down my nose.....
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mr mover
Have you ever thought it might be you that is Boring...........mm

Yes maybe, suppose i should join in more and go shopping with no shoes on eh!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lickylady
After speaking to a friend the other day it appears that some, (not all) the things I find annoying may just be related to Adelaide. The driving here is really bad, they have no idea and are dangerous. There is not enough choice of clothes, furniture etc. .
Choice of furniture - I've heard it all now...I mean do you choose a new sofa every month?!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:04 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

me too my choice would be:

q..Sydney
b. Melbourne
c. sunshine Coast

but I cant afford a big enough house in the areas I want in places A and B. I cant here either however the beaches and community make up for it. but I still get a bit bored sometimes.

this is entirely personal and most people I know Brisbane but I would prefer to live in Milton Keynes than either Brisbane or Adelaide. everyone is different!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all

You obviously dont live in Adelaide do you? If so you would know that most items of furniture have to be delivered from Melbourne and can take up to 6 weeks. Also there is not a lot of choice between the stores, a lot carry the same stock. And no, I dont buy a new sofa every month, however I do like to buy pictures, ornaments etc which again all seem to be the same. Get lost if you havn't moved from Adelaide to Melbourne as I wasnt asking your opinion.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Choice of furniture - I've heard it all now...I mean do you choose a new sofa every month?!
Yes but when you want something you want to CHOOSE it. Lack of furniture choice also makes me a bit sad. I like furniture, shopping for it and buying it.

This is because I have no life
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
Yes but when you want something you want to CHOOSE it. Lack of furniture choice also makes me a bit sad. I like furniture, shopping for it and buying it.

This is because I have no life
I'm sure you do mate.

***** me - there are so many shops you'd never have time to visit them all.
I remember people actually thinking for such a small population that Australia has quite a few furniture shops...
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lickylady
You obviously dont live in Adelaide do you? If so you would know that most items of furniture have to be delivered from Melbourne and can take up to 6 weeks. Also there is not a lot of choice between the stores, a lot carry the same stock. And no, I dont buy a new sofa every month, however I do like to buy pictures, ornaments etc which again all seem to be the same. Get lost if you havn't moved from Adelaide to Melbourne as I wasnt asking your opinion.
That's OK...BTW...move to Melbourne...you may like it.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'm sure you do mate.

***** me - there are so many shops you'd never have time to visit them all.
I remember people actually thinking for such a small population that Australia has quite a few furniture shops...
its all down to your area though, even Brisbane doesnt have a huge amount of choice although the valley has some nice shops.

I used to think how many shops do you need until i moved to the coast and started setting up home. Its hard to give your home personality when you get limited items, replicated across each store and that need to be ordered. Its down to where you are at in your life too - with young kids I spend more time now at home in the evenings than I am used to and therefore more time thinking about things like furnishing.

Melbourne though is known by everyone as the shopping city. I am going down in 3 weeks to do just that!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by viviennef
its all down to your area though, even Brisbane doesnt have a huge amount of choice although the valley has some nice shops.

I used to think how many shops do you need until i moved to the coast and started setting up home. Its hard to give your home personality when you get limited items, replicated across each store and that need to be ordered. Its down to where you are at in your life too - with young kids I spend more time now at home in the evenings than I am used to and therefore more time thinking about things like furnishing.

Melbourne though is known by everyone as the shopping city. I am going down in 3 weeks to do just that!

Always interesting to hear the views of out of towners. The thing with Melbourne is that there are hundreds of middle-size independents selling all sorts of stuff. Head down to, or through, an industrial area pass a row of shops and there will be something new you may not have seen. I often make a note in case they are worth trying next time..
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:49 am

That is exactly what I miss. In the uk even small villages are close to metro areas or have small shops selling interesting objects. I love it here but I find the choice bland.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are after big city buzz I would say definitely Melbourne. Great shops, food, attractions, parks and urban feel. Outside the city centre Melbourne is still very urban for a long way out into the suburbs on a lot of routes. One of the best cities in the world I have been to for these aspects of life. I found it far more exciting than most British cities but you may not.

Obviously you pay a big city price for this with small, expensive housing stretching a fair way out of Melbourne CBD.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I asked you this question already, where in Adelaide are you living?
I am not sure what type of furniture and ornaments you are looking for but there are actually some really nice independantly owned shops in the sea side suburbs.

Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi, I live in brighton, yes there are some nice little boutiques I agree.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:27 am
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in Brighton for 7 years and love it Can't wait to go home actually!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.