Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bored in Adelaide will Melbourne do it?

Bored in Adelaide will Melbourne do it?

Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all
Default Bored in Adelaide will Melbourne do it?

Its probably been spoken about hundreds of times but cant find anything in search. I live in Adelaide and have for 2 1/2 years now. I am always thinking about returning to the UK as so many things "get on my nerves" here. After speaking to a friend the other day it appears that some, (not all) the things I find annoying may just be related to Adelaide. The driving here is really bad, they have no idea and are dangerous. There is not enough choice of clothes, furniture etc. Not enough going on, Theatres, Exhibitions, country Fairs that dont have the same crap stuff sold by the same people doing the rounds, people that are more up with whats happening in the rest of the world etc etc, more excitment, a buzz would be great! I just want to feel alive again, feel like I can have dreams still and not feel old and that this is it. Has anyone moved from Adelaide to melbourne because of these reasons and are now happy???? I just want to feel settled and not so homesick for green grass and would love to try it and hope I can finally feel at home.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bored in Adelaide will Melbourne do it?

We are in Queensland

And the driving here is mental so its not just there.

I laugh and say Aussies are so laid back its mind bending but put them behind the wheel and they cant get where they are going fast enough.

Its like they wait till they see the whites of your eyes and then gun it out in front of you

Paddy
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where in Adelaide do you like? I love Adelaide but then I have spent my entire life there (apart from the last 18 months overseas) Melbourne is great, we go there a lot for holidays and the shopping is great! The drivers in Melbourne are WAY worse than Adelaide though and they have some weird road rules too!
Good Luck, I hope you find the happiness you are looking for.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah i say move there but i love it there
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:55 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

I think you'll love Melbourne. Heaps going on, fab nightlife, fantastic shopping, very fashionable. You'll notice an increase in living costs though. Pick the right are to live in and you'll never look back
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

I was only talking about this yesterday to an English hairdresser in melbourne. She moved to Adelaide and lasted 6 weeks and moved to Melbourne and loves it. She said she couldnt understand why so many brits go to Adelaide, maybe its a big finger to inner city UK life.

Anyway, yeah, Melbourne is a world away from Adelaide in that sense IMO, but still bad drivers everywhere...

I have never lived in Adelaide but go for work 2-3 times a year and my first impression stuck, its a country town, quite eighties in its feel to me and not much going on...

Melbourne kicks arse, best city in the world IMO and i have been to a few.

Still there are plenty on here who would disagree. For me

1. Melbourne
2. Sydney
3. None cos Sydney and Melbourne are so superior to other states
4. Brisbane
5. Perth
6. Adelaide
7. Gold Coast
8. NT - but amazing to visit

Obviously this is my opinion so no need to argue or debate it, its not fact just my choice.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

oh and 9. Canberra (but the people all the people I have met in Canberra are absolutely lovely, just couldnt live there)
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:32 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I can very much identify with the OP's viewpoint. We lived in Adelaide for two years....it took me that long to settle and actually realise that it's bad points are also it's good points! If it still feels wrong, maybe it's time to move on.

I still have a rather soft spot for Adelaide and was very homesick for it when we moved to the Gold Coast.

But.....I no longer feel trapped and bored here as I did in Adelaide. I can travel North, South or Inland and in a short while be somewhere interesting. Going to Victor Harbour always used to feel as if I'd reached the invisible perimeter of a computer games playing space....if that makes sense ermm like 'The Trumann Show'

The grass is greener here and there lots of water and interesting scenery.

We have only passed through Melbourne briefly so cannot comment there.

Best wishes with whatever you decide.

Jan

Last edited by Jan4kids; Jan 28th 2010 at 11:17 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

rekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nice

Still in the UK at the mo but in the process of weighing up the move, but having lived in a relatively small town in rural Lincolnshire the thought of moving over there and living in a city really doesn't appeal to me. But saying that i have just sent out a cv to agency recruiting for the Melbourne area
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Simon-in-Chicago is an unknown quantity at this point

Adelaide is like Milton Keynes down under minus the excitment.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

rekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nice

Milton keynes doesn't have any exitement unless you get off on round abouts?

Adelaide must be bad
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all

Hi Thanks for your replies. I personally think I would go back to the Uk as I feel homesick everyday. Not for friends and family but just for my life. I hear a piece of music or just get a feeling and I Just want to be back there doing what I was doing. Unfortunately my OH loves it here, so I am trying to find a compromise. Maybe I will be OK in Melbourne. I will probably have a State Manager sales job out on the road and will still so need to be able to get to city within 30 - 40 mins, has anyone got any ideas of nice suburbs with lots going on around them, I have heard the Dandenong area is beautiful but not sure if too rural and too far away from the city. St Kilda etc is too busy for my OH.

Last edited by lickylady; Jan 29th 2010 at 6:34 am.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lickylady
Hi Thanks for your replies. I personally think I would go back to the Uk as I feel homesick everyday. Not for friends and family but just for my life. I hear a piece of music or just get a feeling and I Just want to be back there doing what I was doing. Unfortunately my OH loves it here, so I am trying to find a compromise. Maybe I will be OK in Melbourne. I will probably have a State Manager sales job out on the road and will still so need to be able to get to city within 30 - 40 mins, has anyone got any ideas of nice suburbs with lots going on around them, I have heard the Dandenong area is beautiful but not sure if too rural and too far away from the city. St Kilda etc is too busy for my OH.

Dandenong is too far out and far too quiet - difficult without know your budget for rental or buying but you could look at North of the city in Brunswick or Carlton, there is lots to do, easy access to the City.

However, if you want beach side then somewhere around Elsternwick or Elwood would be good - again near the City, St Kilda, Beach - transport is not so good in Elwood but if you have a car you will be fine. Taxi back from town also relatively cheap.

If you want even further out then try Brighton area - shopping, eateries, easy access to City by train (about 20 minutes)
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:11 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lickylady
Its probably been spoken about hundreds of times but cant find anything in search. I live in Adelaide and have for 2 1/2 years now. I am always thinking about returning to the UK as so many things "get on my nerves" here. After speaking to a friend the other day it appears that some, (not all) the things I find annoying may just be related to Adelaide. The driving here is really bad, they have no idea and are dangerous. There is not enough choice of clothes, furniture etc. Not enough going on, Theatres, Exhibitions, country Fairs that dont have the same crap stuff sold by the same people doing the rounds, people that are more up with whats happening in the rest of the world etc etc, more excitment, a buzz would be great! I just want to feel alive again, feel like I can have dreams still and not feel old and that this is it. Has anyone moved from Adelaide to melbourne because of these reasons and are now happy???? I just want to feel settled and not so homesick for green grass and would love to try it and hope I can finally feel at home.
Have you ever thought it might be you that is Boring...........mm
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

If I had the choice again I would go to Melbourne (rather than Brisbane). Melbourne, to me, has all those things you speak about and is the best city of all those I've visited. Go for it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.