Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bore Pump change out

Wikiposts

Bore Pump change out

Old Apr 9th 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Bore Pump change out

My bore pump has failed with an electrical short. Unfortunately where the bore is located on the block has restricted access for a truck to get in and pull the pump.
Has anyone had to change out a pump without using a bore workover truck? I thought about hiring a large gantry and using a chain block to pull the pump but not sure ths would work well.

Cheers

LL
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:00 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bore Pump change out

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
My bore pump has failed with an electrical short. Unfortunately where the bore is located on the block has restricted access for a truck to get in and pull the pump.
Has anyone had to change out a pump without using a bore workover truck? I thought about hiring a large gantry and using a chain block to pull the pump but not sure ths would work well.

Cheers

LL

Surely the guys who do the job should be able to come up with alternatives, or do you want to it yourself?
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

I had 2 bore companies look at the job and they both just said they couldn't get the truck in. I may end up having to do it myself.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a submersible pump ?

Most house bore pumps in Perth are centrifugal , usually its just the
capacitor that fails.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:49 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

The water table in Perth is pretty shallow. Normally you can just pull the bore out by hand, not all that easy but certainly do-able.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mulben
Do you have a submersible pump ?

Most house bore pumps in Perth are centrifugal , usually its just the
capacitor that fails.
Where is the capacitor? My pump is a standard centrifugal pump 2hp 3 phase. I thought the pump was powered through a contactor?

Originally Posted by EvannTel
The water table in Perth is pretty shallow. Normally you can just pull the bore out by hand, not all that easy but certainly do-able.
Thats what I planned, my pump is 21m but I don't know how heavy it will be.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

My neighbour has several properties with bore pumps on four of them. We have moved the pumps from bore to bore ourselves and it is quite easy. His deepest bore is 80 metres and we pulled it out by hand. It was hard work but we did it. His shallow bore is 24 metres and that is a piece of cake.

Regards

Barney
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Where is the capacitor? My pump is a standard centrifugal pump 2hp 3 phase. I thought the pump was powered through a contactor?

The capacitor is on top it costs about $60
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, I'll give it a shot today
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:27 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

3 phase? Thats unusual.

21m will be heavy but it gets lighter. Getting it moving it usually the hardest part.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

If its a Davey bore hole pump its under the black cowling
Is it direct wired or has it a normal 3 point plug.
Where the power lead enters the cowling is the capacitor

also if the pump is situated on groundlevel
you dont need to lift the suction pipe
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well I managed to pull the pump out by hand, a peice of cake it wasn't
The kids had a great time telling me what I was doing wrong

The pump is a Sumo 2, anyone know if there is a capacitor on this type? I did a quick internet search but didn't see anything.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well I managed to pull the pump out by hand, a peice of cake it wasn't
The kids had a great time telling me what I was doing wrong

The pump is a Sumo 2, anyone know if there is a capacitor on this type? I did a quick internet search but didn't see anything.
Its a submersible
found this
www.suoworld.cn/pedrollo/深井泵/sumo2.pdf

could have a reset button or a capacitor if its the economy model
Old Apr 10th 2010, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Mulben.

That was one of the websites I looked at, another tech spec states that a capacitor is an optional extra on the 3 phase version. So I think I might be out of luck.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:05 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you seem to be on the way to getting it fixed.

I have just had to replace my own submersible bore pump - less than three years old - which will teach me to (a) learn about the technology first and (b) check out the firms!

The (new) company pulled the pump (it's a 120m deep hole) and found the cable joint leaking - replaced that. It megged OK so the pump went back down. Then it stopped - so up it came again and was replaced. Soon after the new one started tripping the controls so up it came again - this time the cable had moisture from the first poor connection so the whole cable was replaced ($900). The final bill was $5500. The a week or two later the accumulator on the irrigation pump failed and was replaced for $700.

The final straw was some woman in the local paper complaining about people getting "free" water to irrigate.........