Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Books that have changed your life

Books that have changed your life

Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Books that have changed your life

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
You said Shhh a la library and I said you don't have to shhh nowadays...should I have put a willy comment in there for you so you could understand??
You know him so well!
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:00 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

It's a long time ago now, but the book that changed my life was Germaine Greer's "The Female Eunuch". I know she's regarded by many as a dotty old woman now - and maybe she is! - but at that time she changed the mind-set of a whole generation of women. Inspired by her writings, we went on to work for equal employment opportunities, paid maternity leave,improved child-care facilities - so many aspects of a working woman's life that later generations take for granted, without realising the time, effort and energy that went into obtaining them.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Shantaram - how the spirit can survive alot, that you can be strong and tough but still be beautiful.

Living Dangerously - Ranulph Fiennes - not because I want to live dangerously(!) but because of what man can achieve....
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:13 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrone
It's a long time ago now, but the book that changed my life was Germaine Greer's "The Female Eunuch". I know she's regarded by many as a dotty old woman now - and maybe she is! - but at that time she changed the mind-set of a whole generation of women. Inspired by her writings, we went on to work for equal employment opportunities, paid maternity leave,improved child-care facilities - so many aspects of a working woman's life that later generations take for granted, without realising the time, effort and energy that went into obtaining them.
She was a very inspiring woman back then. It is a shame she has gone completely over the top and living the life of an eccentric old spinster. I feel quite sad about hat because she had a lot of good ideals and theories, but because of her outlandish behaviour in recent itmes no one takes her seriously anymore.

For me, the life changing book was Self Matters by Dr Phil Mcgraw. Totally changed the way i see the world and relate to those around me. He's one smart cookie and was Oprah's psychologist and boy look what she went on to achieve!!
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
She was a very inspiring woman back then. It is a shame she has gone completely over the top and living the life of an eccentric old spinster. I feel quite sad about hat because she had a lot of good ideals and theories, but because of her outlandish behaviour in recent itmes no one takes her seriously anymore.
In a nutshell.....she's past her sale-by date. Oops - shouldn't talk about a women in terms of a sale-by date.....(!)
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:16 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas also opened my mind to some interesting ways of thinking ... I like the film too which is a rare combination for me.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:18 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
In a nutshell.....she's past her sale-by date. Oops - shouldn't talk about a women in terms of a sale-by date.....(!)
Are you looking for a black eye?
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are you looking for a black eye?
No - I totally agreed with you - then noted the irony in my statement.

You give me a black eye and I'll give you one back - equality for all.

Cheers
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:24 am
I don't give a damn

No - I totally agreed with you - then noted the irony in my statement.

You give me a black eye and I'll give you one back - equality for all.

Cheers
My husband says he doesnt fancy your chances
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My husband says he doesnt fancy your chances
(Now I reckon he'd know)

Frankly nor do I. You scare the sh*t out of me.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:34 am
I don't give a damn

(Now I reckon he'd know)

Frankly nor do I. You scare the sh*t out of me.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 3:04 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The one that did it for me was called Life With Billy. It was the true story of a young woman who was so horribly abused by her common-law husband that she ended up killing him. It chronicles the pain and suffering she and her children went through for years while the entire community sat by and did nothing to help. It's really heartbreaking and taught me to rely on no man for anything.

Another that I loved was called The Sweet Hereafter. It was also a lovely movie, but of course the book was better. It taught me about the fragility of life. Not to take things for granted.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:35 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

An Evil Cradling - Brian Keenan, years since I read it but unforgetable.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:09 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Two seperate books got me thinking about women in religion (or rather the lack of women in religion).

First was The Earth children series that started with Clan of the cave Bear.
They worshiped a female divinity i.e Mother Earth

Second was The Da Vinci code. Although it's taken a bashing over the past few years it made a very valid point about how women were basically forgotten in modern religion.

Result - It made me realise what a complete crock of **** religion is.

Both lots of books were also very entertaining
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Charlotte Gray by Sebastian Faulx( may not have spelt it correctly and certainly am unsure how to pronounce it.) This book shocked me and caused much distress and I couldnot get it out of my mind.The movie was a major disapontment.Many books by this author have reduced me to tears.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.