Wikiposts

Booking holidays

Old Nov 6th 2011, 8:54 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Booking holidays

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Is it? That is a genuine question BTW, but yes holidays are at managers discretion. Having said that management cannot unreasonably not allow staff to take their holidays.
Yes it was a genuine question. I always start with company policy and work from there for the answers / options I need

Person in question has worked with the company for not quite a year as at today but it will be a year and a bit by the time the planned holiday comes around. I will agree to five weeks holiday. We are a finance team and this leave is requested over the peak period for any finance team i.e. year end.
If they have worked for you less than a year I believe you can *technically* dismiss without legal recourse providing you have evidence the person did something against company policy. This means you do have the option to tell them they can't take the holiday as technically by taking it and going against company policy they are effectively dismissing themselves

Having said that, it's an option but not one I would go with personally. Too sneaky for my liking but it is an option (providing the law in your state is same as Qld and employees).

At the end of the day this is Straya where improved productivity, customer service, business planning, KPI's mean jack shit and you'll be the problem for enforcing policy *harshly* rather than the perpetrator for being an arse

It really aint worth bothering mate, chill and go with the flow, adapt or die
Old Nov 6th 2011, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Yes it was a genuine question. I always start with company policy and work from there for the answers / options I need

If they have worked for you less than a year I believe you can *technically* dismiss without legal recourse providing you have evidence the person did something against company policy. This means you do have the option to tell them they can't take the holiday as technically by taking it and going against company policy they are effectively dismissing themselves

Having said that, it's an option but not one I would go with personally. Too sneaky for my liking but it is an option (providing the law in your state is same as Qld and employees).

At the end of the day this is Straya where improved productivity, customer service, business planning, KPI's mean jack shit and you'll be the problem for enforcing policy *harshly* rather than the perpetrator for being an arse

It really aint worth bothering mate, chill and go with the flow, adapt or die
Well it is worth bothering because I have a big team and I think expectations need to be set. My team are supposed to be professionals and expect to be treated like professionals so they need to act like professionals.

But I am not looking for someone to lose their job over it either. I think I will just see what HR say, if they tell me forget it this is entirely normal in our organisation then I will take that on board. And not worry about the next time I want to book a day off.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 9:07 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Well it is worth bothering because I have a big team and I think expectations need to be set. My team are supposed to be professionals and expect to be treated like professionals so they need to act like professionals.

But I am not looking for someone to lose their job over it either. I think I will just see what HR say, if they tell me forget it this is entirely normal in our organisation then I will take that on board. And not worry about the next time I want to book a day off.
Let us know how you go on