Wikiposts

Booking holidays

Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Booking holidays

Is it normal in your work place to have to get approval for holidays before you actually book them?

Generally my organisation is very accommodating towards staff taking their leave at whatever time they wish, however today one of my direct reports has come to me to say that somebody that reports to him wants 7 weeks off and has booked flights because it did not occur to her that this would be an issue. Annual leave entitlement is 4 weeks but this person saved up some leave.

This is the second time in 12 months that somebody in my wider team has booked flights without organising time off first, so I am starting to think it must be the norm.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:57 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Booking holidays

My old company was pretty cool about it if it fell within the normal 2 week holiday maximum and you didn't book it when you knew there was a mega deadline coming up. But anything over two weeks had to be approved further up so we ALWAYS got permission before booking anything. 7 weeks seems a long to to me to just assume you can be off...
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
My old company was pretty cool about it if it fell within the normal 2 week holiday maximum and you didn't book it when you knew there was a mega deadline coming up. But anything over two weeks had to be approved further up so we ALWAYS got permission before booking anything. 7 weeks seems a long to to me to just assume you can be off...
The previous occasion was 3 weeks and it was at a very busy time and highly inconvenient. It wasn't one of my direct reports but got escalated to me as an issue. I let him have the leave in the end, because his flights were not refundable and there did seem to be some confusion over whether this leave had been informally / verbally agreed or not by someone that had since left. With current case there is definitely no confusion in that respect ... I think it's a generation y thing.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:47 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

We have no formal policy on length of leave that requires 'pre-approval'.

Having said that I'm in the habit of taking holidays that last 4 weeks - so I tend to verify that at least in principal my boss is ok with me being out for 'a month at xmas', or 'a few weeks around easter' (just to make sure it doesnt clash with other team members plans. Since this is almost always fine (I tend to plan more in advance than my coleagues ), I then book my travel and get formal approval for the leave once the precise dates are known (which never happens until the booking is actually made and locked in).
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:51 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's not normal, certainly not in the Team I'm currently working with (who I've worked with before so know them well). We would consult each other, bring it up at a team meeting, ensure adequate coverage for planned jobs (we service the rest of the organisation), try to do our best to suit everybody but understand that sometimes we have to be grown-ups and we don't always get what we want.

Then it's marked down in a shared calendar that the whole Department can see.

If somebody has saved up extra holiday to take extended leave, they've obviously known for some time that they want this time off, and I'd wonder how their manager did not know this if they'd carried over leave from a previous year.

Is the "book first ask later" system something you've inherited as acceptable from the previous management? Hard to reverse it, if it is.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:58 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Is it normal in your work place to have to get approval for holidays before you actually book them?

Generally my organisation is very accommodating towards staff taking their leave at whatever time they wish, however today one of my direct reports has come to me to say that somebody that reports to him wants 7 weeks off and has booked flights because it did not occur to her that this would be an issue. Annual leave entitlement is 4 weeks but this person saved up some leave.

This is the second time in 12 months that somebody in my wider team has booked flights without organising time off first, so I am starting to think it must be the norm.
It isn't normal practice in Himself's workplace (or, according to his contract, for his new employer either) Days off are one thing, anything more than that he has to get signed off by his line manager.

When we went to the UK, he had to take almost 5 weeks off, 3 of which were unpaid (ouch) and that had to be signed off by both HR and his line manager's line manager
Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Seasider

If somebody has saved up extra holiday to take extended leave, they've obviously known for some time that they want this time off, and I'd wonder how their manager did not know this if they'd carried over leave from a previous year.
Yes I was also thinking that the direct manager (my report) should have spotted that leave was accruing and should have wondered why! But they are new to management so I think have just not had to deal with that side of things before.

Is the "book first ask later" system something you've inherited as acceptable from the previous management? Hard to reverse it, if it is.
Not sure, although neither of the individuals involved have worked here that long, maybe about a year each at the time of booking the leave. hence I started to wonder if this is how things work over here generally.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dreamy
It isn't normal practice in Himself's workplace (or, according to his contract, for his new employer either) Days off are one thing, anything more than that he has to get signed off by his line manager.

When we went to the UK, he had to take almost 5 weeks off, 3 of which were unpaid (ouch) and that had to be signed off by both HR and his line manager's line manager
That just reminded me, I booked a trip back to UK a few weeks ago and didn't get my leave pre-approved.

However it was only two weeks, it was with 11 months notice and I did make sure it was fully refundable just in case it was not approved. I was booking flights on FF points and didn't want to miss them.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:16 pm

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Yes I was also thinking that the direct manager... should have spotted that leave was accruing and should have wondered why...
It is extremely normal to accrue large amounts of leave. In my workplace we are all way too busy and dont take enouigh holiday. We have one guy with 3 months leave accrued + 3 months long service leave, another with 2 months accrued and I'll have 5 weeks leave accrued even after I get back from having 4 weeks off at xmas.

Accruing leave in itself is not necessarily indicative of having extensive holiday plans.

I'm sure numerous studies have indicated that when it comes to taking their holidays Australians are very bad and we lead the world in 'accrued leave'.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DadAgain
It is extremely normal to accrue large amounts of leave. In my workplace we are all way too busy and dont take enouigh holiday. We have one guy with 3 months leave accrued + 3 months long service leave, another with 2 months accrued and I'll have 5 weeks leave accrued even after I get back from having 4 weeks off at xmas.

Accruing leave in itself is not necessarily indicative of having extensive holiday plans.

I'm sure numerous studies have indicated that when it comes to taking their holidays Australians are very bad and we lead the world in 'accrued leave'.
I cannot imagine that I will ever embrace the Australian way of building up accrued leave. We only get 4 weeks, I need 4 weeks leave a year.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:23 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect how much "the norm" it is depends on the type of work someone does, how much impact it has if they just take off for a few weeks.

Might be a good time to ask who's due for Long Service Leave, and whose wife is about to pop (blokes taking parental leave, although they are supposed to give you ten weeks' notice IIRC).

Lots of types of leave in Australia, that's for sure.

edit: DadAgain beat me to some of that.

I never have enough leave - I end up taking some without pay.

Last edited by Kooky.; Nov 6th 2011 at 3:25 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:28 pm
Auntie Fa

I cannot imagine that I will ever embrace the Australian way of building up accrued leave. We only get 4 weeks, I need 4 weeks leave a year.
You're an accountant, aren't you? Accrued leave here must be a huge financial liability.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You're an accountant, aren't you? Accrued leave here must be a huge financial liability.
It is indeed. My company does try to manage it however, people that accrue more than 4 weeks are "encouraged" to start using it. At payrise time whatever is sitting on the balance sheet gets revalued for pay increases and immediately hits profit.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:51 pm

...At payrise time ....
???? .. Thats just UNAustralian....

'Payrise time' happens only when you quit your job and find a new one. This is a reason I am so gobsmackingly surprised every time I hear of people actually managing to acrue long service leave! How do people manage to stay in the same job for 10 years without appropriate pay rises? (Perhaps I just always managed to work for complete tight-ass employers?)

Last edited by DadAgain; Nov 6th 2011 at 4:48 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 4:34 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
???? .. Thats just UNAustralian....

'Payrise time' happens only when you quit your job and find a new one. THis is a reason I am so gobsmackingly surprised every time I hear of people actually m,anaging to acrue long service leave! How do people manage to stay in the same job for 10 years without appropriate pay rises? (Perhaps I just always managed to work for compelte tigh-ass employers?)
Didn't it used to be the thing that if you didn't move jobs every couple of years you weren't ambitious. Maybe that's lost in these tough economic times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.