Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Boat people pour in.

Boat people pour in.

Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:26 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Boat people pour in.

Originally Posted by mohogony
Theres a difference between legal and illegal immigrants , l don't see discussing the topic of illegal immigration as " trolling".
I agree with you on this point.

Due to the immigration rules, those illegal entrants to the country do cut down the numbers of legal applicants, so that the total remains the same.

Hopefully those waiting in the queue, paying their fees etc, do not mind waiting a bit longer, while the people smugglers, making profits out of those poor refugees who are being shipped in, jump the queue.

And if anyone thinks Christmas Island is a deterrent, think again, they are now heading directly for that island.

Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
98 boat people are being kicked out of the country without even catching a glimpse of the suburbs because Rudd's government has determined that they are not proper asylum seekers. And you think he's soft on illegal immigration?
But why, after deciding to kick them out, were they then flown from Christmas Island to Villawood in NSW ?

Some say it is to make it easier for their legal teams to access them in preparation for their appeals against deportation.

Senator Evans says the men have been deemed not to be genuine asylum seekers by his department, and their transfer to Villawood is part of their "removal pathway".
But he says <...> it is possible some of the men might have the right to stay.

Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:37 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to work at Eurotunnel and witnessed first hand what these people were willing to risk to get into the UK. I remember one fella suffering horrific injuries when he jumped off a train. Much as people complain about them I won't ever forget the state of him and can't bring myself to despise them as some do.

Doesn't mean to say I agree with opening borders, but if one is going to brag about ones country, then one must expect those not so fortunate to want a piece.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
If we are talking about illegal immigrants (the proper terminology is unlawful non-citizen) the issue is not the boat people. Current Australian Government estimates are that there are approximately 46,000 unlawful non-citizens in Australia, of which 26,200 have remained in the country unlawfully for more than 5 years. The largest groups of unlawful non-citizens in Australia come from the United Kingdom and the USA.
And how many of these are living off social security payments, and being given the rights to bring their entire families in ?

the issue is not the boat people.
With the thread titled "Boat people pour in" I think the issue is boat people

Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Not a single 'boat person' should be allowed into Australia. There should be a zero tolerance policy on this.

Australia takes around 14k people who come in through the UNHCR. This figure will probably continue to grow and I am happy for that to happen. These people have been (hopefully) checked out by the UN and are deemed to be genuine. More of these guys and no boat queue jumpers is the way to go.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:47 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

[QUOTE
With the thread titled "Boat people pour in" I think the issue is boat people [/QUOTE]

Often thread titles have little bearing on the substance - besides it is up to the reader to interpret. I view this thread in more general terms.

When the title states, "boat people pour in" this infers a negative connotation because it is sensationalising something which, when put into context and properly benchmarked, is inaccurate.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:51 am
ABCDiamond

If you are not trolling then your choice of thread title is a little naive. 4386 "boat people" is hardly pouring in - trickling yes.
It is when compared to pre- Rudd...

In the four years 2002-2003, 2003-2004, 2004-2005 and 2005-2006 Australia received a total of 143 Boat people, or an average of 37 per year.

In 2008-2009 it was 1,033 boat people arrivals for the year (about 3 per day)

In the first 11 days of 2009-2010 it was 73. (about 6 per day)

Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:16 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

You might say this lot of 4,000 is'nt many but so far they have cost the taxpayers $350 million that could have been spent on hospitals which would have save peoples lives . If just say half of these boat people never work and live off benefits all their lives how many more millions is that, as many have no skills, education and poor English.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

mrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nice

you say 4000, but how many more are there to come? if the policy is not tough enough what's to say the amount will not increase and increase. will you change your mind where there is 100,000 ? or 1m ?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:17 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

<snip> as many have no skills, education and poor English.
So, destined to work as a Brisbane taxi driver, Telstra call centre operative or a surgeon for Queensland Health then?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DeadVim
So, destined to work as a Brisbane taxi driver, Telstra call centre operative or a surgeon for Queensland Health then?
Not sure if they are still letting them be taxi drivers and call center operatives they've tightened the laws on them...
Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:35 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Boat people pour in.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But why, after deciding to kick them out, were they then flown from Christmas Island to Villawood in NSW ?
It tells you in the article: for security reasons. Presumably they were a threat to themselves or others. The kick-out process isn't instant, so they still need to be detained in the interim.

Some say it is to make it easier for their legal teams to access them in preparation for their appeals against deportation.
"Some say" the moon is made of cheese.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:41 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
I used to work at Eurotunnel and witnessed first hand what these people were willing to risk to get into the UK. I remember one fella suffering horrific injuries when he jumped off a train. Much as people complain about them I won't ever forget the state of him and can't bring myself to despise them as some do.

Doesn't mean to say I agree with opening borders, but if one is going to brag about ones country, then one must expect those not so fortunate to want a piece.
Yes, I read a really good blog from one of the Hungry Beast members that tackles this point really well.

http://hungrybeast.abc.net.au/blog/j...ralian-dream-0
Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It tells you in the article: for security reasons. Presumably they were a threat to themselves or others. The kick-out process isn't instant, so they still need to be detained in the interim.
But why in NSW, why not keep them on Christmas Island ?

Is Christmas Island less secure than Villawood ?

29 Mar 2010 ... The Immigration Department has confirmed that three more people escaped from Sydney's Villawood detention centre early this morning.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...29/2858846.htm

Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:20 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

John Howard stopped all the boats coming with his pacific solution
No, he didn't - see earlier chart.

The number of people arriving is statistically insignificant - a drop in the ocean of people that leave and arrive in Australia every year.
Alot or most burn all their ID before they come to OZ because their real identity reveals they are not real refugees
This is complete nonsense. The vast majority of asylum seekers in Australia are investigated and genuine refugee status is established for more than 90%; the rest are deported.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But why in NSW, why not keep them on Christmas Island ?
The real question is why keep them on Christmas Island, where there is insufficient labour, land and facilities, with the result that "island processing" costs vastly more than it would do on the mainland. It was entirely a political stunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.