Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Blower vac advice please

Blower vac advice please

Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of
Default Blower vac advice please

I'm about to get a blower vac but don't know where to start. Any advice on what I should look for, or makes to avoid or buy would be appreciated. Can't face the thought of raking and sweeping acreage after the whole yard was decimated in the hailstorm on Tuesday!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:04 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blower vac advice please

Originally Posted by gillysm
I'm about to get a blower vac but don't know where to start. Any advice on what I should look for, or makes to avoid or buy would be appreciated. Can't face the thought of raking and sweeping acreage after the whole yard was decimated in the hailstorm on Tuesday!
gday m8.

Get down to Bunnings at Strathpine, they have 49cc blowers on sale for 130 bucks .. ish !!

If it blows up, get a replacement.

Or theres the Mower place on corner of petrie roundabout, nice guys in there. Stihl on offer for 399

I personally am just a honda man now

Good Luck
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We got a Stihl but mainly because "we like the company". I wouldn't buy one from Bunnings but only because we wouldn't have bought stuff like that from B&Q if you get my logic.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Hope you dont get into a neighbourhood dispute with it, the average Aussie hates them, they are so noisy and intrusive
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Thanks for your help Hopefully shouldn't annoy the neighbours too much, most people round here have them and it's not too bad on acreage - I simply can't clear the whole yard with a rake and broom. All the plants and trees were stripped so there's quite a mess. I'm still working on the pool but that's another story
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:24 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd wait until they bring out those new silent ones.

Hate them with a passion and not just because of the noise (no shortage of mechanical noise here on the average weekend).

Someone put me straight (I'm sure you will), what is wrong with letting a few leaves lie?

Is it just a neatness thing? I can understand the obsession with a neat lawn in somewhere like Funnyname Waters but acreage?
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
I'd wait until they bring out those new silent ones.

Hate them with a passion and not just because of the noise (no shortage of mechanical noise here on the average weekend).

Someone put me straight (I'm sure you will), what is wrong with letting a few leaves lie?

Is it just a neatness thing? I can understand the obsession with a neat lawn in somewhere like Funnyname Waters but acreage?
Unfortuantely it's not just a few leaves - the hailstorm was savage, the plants and trees were stripped, we have a long driveway and large paved areas around the houses (there are 2 on our block) parking areas as well as a large paved area around the pool. Yes, partly it is a neatness thing (not the lawn though) but I've been working on the pool for 48 hours already and I dont need a whole lot more going in there or being walked into the house.

Sorry if I sound p...d but basically I am. I've just spend 6 weeks solid replanting, paving and mulching my yard and it now looks like a cyclone hit us.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:13 am

Unfortuantely it's not just a few leaves - the hailstorm was savage, the plants and trees were stripped, we have a long driveway and large paved areas around the houses (there are 2 on our block) parking areas as well as a large paved area around the pool. Yes, partly it is a neatness thing (not the lawn though) but I've been working on the pool for 48 hours already and I dont need a whole lot more going in there or being walked into the house.

Sorry if I sound p...d but basically I am. I've just spend 6 weeks solid replanting, paving and mulching my yard and it now looks like a cyclone hit us.
Ah, I see, a one-off clean-up operation, hope you get it all sorted. The pool thing is partly what puts me off getting one (as I have posted elsewhere) ... we ain't short of leaves and whatnot and it's going gotta land somewhere

I understand about post-storm frustration, I spent a long afternoon not so long back breaking-up what remained of a tree that had come down ... I did get to play with a chainsaw though, so it's not all bad

Hope the forecast storms over the next couple of nights don't affect you too much.

Matt
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Ah, I see, a one-off clean-up operation, hope you get it all sorted. The pool thing is partly what puts me off getting one (as I have posted elsewhere) ... we ain't short of leaves and whatnot and it's going gotta land somewhere

I understand about post-storm frustration, I spent a long afternoon not so long back breaking-up what remained of a tree that had come down ... I did get to play with a chainsaw though, so it's not all bad

Hope the forecast storms over the next couple of nights don't affect you too much.

Matt
Yeah, leaves are the biggest thing with a pool. We have 2 skimmer boxes which helps. Also we have an authomatic chlorinator so with the exception of storms, it usually looks after itself.

Mm chainsaw - that could be fun I'm a bit of a tool freak, OH bought me a circular saw for my birthday it's great fun, but a chainsaw.....Think maybe I should go off down the back of my property - I'm sure there was a tree that fell down the other day
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:23 am

Yeah, leaves are the biggest thing with a pool. We have 2 skimmer boxes which helps. Also we have an authomatic chlorinator so with the exception of storms, it usually looks after itself.

Mm chainsaw - that could be fun I'm a bit of a tool freak, OH bought me a circular saw for my birthday it's great fun, but a chainsaw.....Think maybe I should go off down the back of my property - I'm sure there was a tree that fell down the other day
Well if there isn't then there soon will be, don't forget to cut a wedge in one side first ... if you don't post again then I'll know why
Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:45 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
gday m8.

Get down to Bunnings at Strathpine, they have 49cc blowers on sale for 130 bucks .. ish !!

If it blows up, get a replacement.

Or theres the Mower place on corner of petrie roundabout, nice guys in there. Stihl on offer for 399

I personally am just a honda man now

Good Luck
There's a very good Garden Stuff of all sorts place at Brendale if you turn up Kremzoe Rd. at end of Strathpine where the big tile place with brick tower is, keep going straight up and after a couple of traffic lights on your right hand side is the Garden place does has Chainsaw etc. signs outside and does all the good makes with frequent sales.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:05 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help Hopefully shouldn't annoy the neighbours too much, most people round here have them and it's not too bad on acreage - I simply can't clear the whole yard with a rake and broom. All the plants and trees were stripped so there's quite a mess. I'm still working on the pool but that's another story

Was thinking about you other day, as i drove thru samford, and saw the stripped leaves litering the roads, looked like aftermath of a big and bad hail storm..

Steve
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by annqldau
There's a very good Garden Stuff of all sorts place at Brendale if you turn up Kremzoe Rd. at end of Strathpine where the big tile place with brick tower is, keep going straight up and after a couple of traffic lights on your right hand side is the Garden place does has Chainsaw etc. signs outside and does all the good makes with frequent sales.
Must give them a go, I just bought a honda brush cutter, and its awesome, kinda pisses on my TALON bunnings jobby !!

Need a blow vac, cos all the friggin gutters are now cacked up with gum leaves,,, and anyone on acreage and tank water will know, it kinda makes your water brown lol..

Like Rural Cystitis
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:36 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Must give them a go, I just bought a honda brush cutter, and its awesome, kinda pisses on my TALON bunnings jobby !!

Need a blow vac, cos all the friggin gutters are now cacked up with gum leaves,,, and anyone on acreage and tank water will know, it kinda makes your water brown lol..

Like Rural Cystitis
They do a very good range well worth a look... Kremzoe may be spelt very slightly different but as long as you turn up by the big tile place you'll come to it.

I walk the roof with a blower, it's the easiest way to get rid of them... think all the gutter guards etc. will make it harder to clean not easier, so stick to the blower and good old hand job... reminds me of something I can't quite think of....
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by annqldau
They do a very good range well worth a look... Kremzoe may be spelt very slightly different but as long as you turn up by the big tile place you'll come to it.

I walk the roof with a blower, it's the easiest way to get rid of them... think all the gutter guards etc. will make it harder to clean not easier, so stick to the blower and good old hand job... reminds me of something I can't quite think of....
Thanks for that, decided when Moneypen said to get a Stihl that I would try them (Mower
Supeastore) - Kremzow Rd is really close to us and I go past that place all the time so I'm going to drop in today.

We took (that's the royal "we" I don't do ladders ) all our gutter guard out a couple of weeks ago when we cleared the gutters - you're right it just gets stuck under all the leaves and makes the job twice as hard. My neighbour had her gutters cleaned out on monday and they guy did exactly what you suggested with the blower vac. Looks a whole lot easier than the hand job!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.