Bloody mad

Old May 19th 2007, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bloody mad

I've just been informed by someone here they've downloaded one of my pics from my gallery and are using it as a desktop.

You walk into places and take pics off the walls? You go to art galleries and just take what you want?

No.

If you want to use a picture I have taken or anyone else here, you ask permission and don't get arsey when I suggest there's a copyright which exists.

If you'd have asked in the first place, I'd have probably said yes.

Taking other people's property without permission is incredibly crass.

I hope you've deleted your download by now.

Last edited by iPom; May 19th 2007 at 12:30 pm.
Old May 19th 2007, 12:30 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice
Default Re: Bloody mad

Originally Posted by iPom
I've just been informed by someone here they've downloaded one of my pics from my gallery and are using it as a desktop.

You walk into places and take pics off the walls? You go to art galleries and just take what you want?

No.

If you want to use a picture I have taken or anyone else here, you ask permission and don't get arsey when I suggest there's a copyright which exists.

<<<Devil's advocate>>>

Take it as a compliment to your photography?
Old May 19th 2007, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

I don't need that sort of compliment.

If you want to use it, ASK.
Old May 19th 2007, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

think asking is only fair Ipom , its the trouble with putting pics in a gallery online .

shame cuz then we miss out if you stop

Old May 19th 2007, 12:35 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

I don't need that sort of compliment.

If you want to use it, ASK.
I don't see how you can stop people downloading photo's from your gallery?

Using it in the public domain would be wrong, but if this poster hadn't told you they were using it in private, then you'd be none the wiser.
Old May 19th 2007, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
I don't see how you can stop people downloading photo's from your gallery?

Using it in the public domain would be wrong, but if this poster hadn't told you they were using it in private, then you'd be none the wiser.
Of course I can't stop people doing it.
But someone who can't see that saying 'Hey, I'm using your pic of Sydney as my desktop picture at the moment' is unbelievable.

How difficult is it to ask? I realise this is a problem I'm going to have but FFS, I'm trying to make money from my photography and it just pisses me off someone can just go in there and take what they want without asking and not even see that it's a problem.

You wouldn't do it anywhere else, so don't do it on the internet!

And no apology! I point out the infringement and the bloody cheek and I get 'It's not like I was going to share it with anyone'.

How bloody nice is that? Not only have you taken what doesn't belong to you, you want to justify it and make out I'm being unreasonable.

I'm removing my large format pics from the gallery though I will leave one, especially for the poster to download... with my permission this time.
Old May 19th 2007, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

borehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant future

No.

I hope you've deleted your download by now.
who did it
Old May 19th 2007, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

all you can do is show them as thumbnails on a site that won't show full size unless the viewer is a paid up member .

true you wouldn't know & there could be thousands off ppl " stealing " your work , even printing & passing it off as theirs unless you copyright it .

They are really really nice images Ipom & a credit to you & your hard work .

scott
Old May 19th 2007, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scott&rachel
all you can do is show them as thumbnails on a site that won't show full size unless the viewer is a paid up member .

true you wouldn't know & there could be thousands off ppl " stealing " your work , even printing & passing it off as theirs unless you copyright it .

They are really really nice images Ipom & a credit to you & your hard work .

scott
My Flickr site is somewhat protected, and the photographs are digitally watermarked. If someone takes those, I can take legal action.

Following not directed at you, Scott.
But FFS, if you want a copy then freaking ask. It's my hard work and my hours and my expense put into what I do. It's not there just to be taken when you like.

Have a bit of respect.
Old May 19th 2007, 12:53 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Of course I can't stop people doing it.
But someone who can't see that saying 'Hey, I'm using your pic of Sydney as my desktop picture at the moment' is unbelievable.

How difficult is it to ask? I realise this is a problem I'm going to have but FFS, I'm trying to make money from my photography and it just pisses me off someone can just go in there and take what they want without asking and not even see that it's a problem.

You wouldn't do it anywhere else, so don't do it on the internet!

And no apology! I point out the infringement and the bloody cheek and I get 'It's not like I was going to share it with anyone'.

How bloody nice is that? Not only have you taken what doesn't belong to you, you want to justify it and make out I'm being unreasonable.

I'm removing my large format pics from the gallery though I will leave one, especially for the poster to download... with my permission this time.
Well this is a large forum and I for one didn't know that the pics in your gallery were part of your work. I personally would ask permission for use of any image that I would want to use in private, but perhaps that's just me. The safest way to guard your property would be to not post it, as you've said. A shame that it comes to that, but I can't see what else there is. BTW, did you say it was copyrighted in the gallery?
Old May 19th 2007, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute

send who ever it was the bill for your work.
Old May 19th 2007, 12:55 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

This is not directed at anyone but.....

I have (And no doubt will again) been browsing the web, found an image I like and right clicked/saved it to my computer, come on who has not?

Let he who is without sin and all that....
Old May 19th 2007, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

this is right , we all do it , done it .

i suppose you have to prevent " right clicking " which some sites do .

Last edited by Scott; May 19th 2007 at 1:01 pm. Reason: typo
Old May 19th 2007, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Well this is a large forum and I for one didn't know that the pics in your gallery were part of your work. I personally would ask permission for use of any image that I would want to use in private, but perhaps that's just me. The safest way to guard your property would be to not post it, as you've said. A shame that it comes to that, but I can't see what else there is. BTW, did you say it was copyrighted in the gallery?
All people's photographs are their own intellectual property and it is theft to take that without asking.
I don't know about the gallery but the board's American, right, so that would come under US copyright law, which is a heck of a lot more stringent than the UK or here I would imagine.
Old May 19th 2007, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
This is not directed at anyone but.....

I have (And no doubt will again) been browsing the web, found an image I like and right clicked/saved it to my computer, come on who has not?

Let he who is without sin and all that....

FB, there's a difference between a random image you pick up as you go along (but if it's copyrighted, you leave yourself open to legal action should you be discovered) and just taking a pic you see here on this board just because you like it, especially when you can PM to ask that person. How difficult would that have been?

What I find objectionable is quite clear. Don't take without asking.
And then don't get bolshy like you're in the right.

Anyway, regardless, I won't be putting any images here again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.