Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Blood tests will no longer be covered by medicare.

Blood tests will no longer be covered by medicare.

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:52 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Blood tests will no longer be covered by medicare.

Originally Posted by esperanza
I found trying to get a bulk-billing doctor's appointment just like trying to get on the list of an NHS Dentist in the UK, i.e. not easy and no-one really wants to help you. The dentist costs a small fortune, as do contraceptives which are totally free of charge in the UK. & I'm hoping to never require an ambulance here - if I need one and I'm conscious I'll be requesting a taxi!
What area do you live in ? I found that most doctors in my area in NSW bulk billed. But I know that some area's, typically the more expensive areas, get the Doctors that don't Bulk Bill.

In theory, with about an 80% bulk billing rate, they should be relatively easy to locate.

It is a pity that some things that are free in the UK, have to be paid for here.
But that could easily be fixed by increasing the Medicare Levy (1.5%) to a similar figure to the UK. Is it still 11% in the UK ?

Ambulance cover is generally less than about $100 per year in the States that need it.
In NSW it is $47.30 for a single person and $94.60 for a family.

GP Bulk Billing:

24 Jun 2003 ... Only 68 per cent of doctors now bulk bill (NSW Government source)

10 Feb 2006 ... The national GP bulk-billing rate increased to 75.1 per cent (Government Source)

November 10, 2007 ... the rate of bulk billing by GPs, has dipped by 0.2 per cent of services to 78 per cent nationally. (Newspaper source)

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01

Not quite sure what you mean here....most free things on the NHS are free here....obvious exceptions are dental and prescriptions are dearer here but in the large scheme of things it is trying to be a free system. The big difference is that there is also a large amount of private use here as well. But if you want to use the public system you can just like the NHS? A lot of new people confuse all the private options thinking it is the public system - just because medicare chips in with the private system as well. If you want free ask your doctor to refer you as a public patient.

Sure you get charged a bit more tax if you have a good income and haven't taken out private insurance, but you still don't have to take out the insurance or if you do you don't have to use it.

Blood tests are still free though the public system....private path labs may start charging a gap but if you have are a regular visitor you can still get bulk billed.
I found trying to get a bulk-billing doctor's appointment just like trying to get on the list of an NHS Dentist in the UK, i.e. not easy and no-one really wants to help you. The dentist costs a small fortune, as do contraceptives which are totally free of charge in the UK. & I'm hoping to never require an ambulance here - if I need one and I'm conscious I'll be requesting a taxi!
Agreed - as I said, Dentists cost - though if you can't get a NHS dentist it cost in the UK as well no?

Almost 85% of GP visits in NSW are free so no need to be in the 15% minority unless you live in a small town.

Everyone in Qld has ambulance cover - so I refuse to accept that having to pay for condoms means medicare is no longer a public health system
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, live in NSW and have no private health insurance whatsoever.
Whilst I understand not having private health cover, everyone should have ambo cover. For a relatively small amount of money, it's a lifesaver, literally.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Whilst I understand not having private health cover, everyone should have ambo cover. For a relatively small amount of money, it's a lifesaver, literally.
It's about $50/year - insane not to have it.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's not really a literal lifesaver, as they will still take me to the hospital, I'll just have a bill afterwards. Which is my choice, as with all insurances.

& ref the Drs being free, does that actually mean that they bulkbill or that you can claim the cost (or most of it) back? When I did the rounds of local doctors upon arrival, I eventually found ONE that bulkbilled, which was on the university campus. Not saying this is the case everywhere, but it is certainly a more difficult system to work out than what we're used to in the UK where there's no money changing hands when you go to see the GP.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:08 am
ABCDiamond

Agreed - as I said, Dentists cost - though if you can't get a NHS dentist it cost in the UK as well no?
Some Dental work is actually covered under Medicare:
  • Chronically ill people who are being managed by their GP under an Enhanced Primary Care plan are able to claim Medicare rebates for dental services.
  • Teenagers are entitled to $153.45 (2009) worth of Dental work per year under Medicare.
  • Dental services carried out in Dental Hospitals for Health Card Holders is also free.
It isn't perfect, but then.. nothing ever is.

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:11 am
ABCDiamond

& ref the Drs being free, does that actually mean that they bulkbill or that you can claim the cost (or most of it) back?
In the December quarter of 2008, 84.5% of all New South Wales GP services were totally FREE, Bulk Billed. The rest you had to claim something back.

it is certainly a more difficult system to work out than what we're used to in the UK where there's no money changing hands when you go to see the GP.
A lot of things are different here in Australia, and it takes a while to get used to the changes.

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In the December quarter of 2008, 84.5% of all New South Wales GP services were totally FREE, Bulk Billed. The rest you had to claim something back.

A lot of things are different here in Australia, and it takes a while to get used to the changes.
Of course it takes time to get used to changes - that doesn't mean that all the changes are good! Think everyone's entitled to their opinion, and not liking something doesn't mean that you just need more time to get used to it.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Not saying this is the case everywhere, but it is certainly a more difficult system to work out than what we're used to in the UK where there's no money changing hands when you go to see the GP.
I can see this ending in the near future. The NHS cannot continue as it is as it is costing too much. Either services will have to be cut, taxes will have to rise or some charging will have to be introduced - especially considering the financial mess the UK government is in.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I can see this ending in the near future. The NHS cannot continue as it is as it is costing too much. Either services will have to be cut, taxes will have to rise or some charging will have to be introduced - especially considering the financial mess the UK government is in.
I agree. The NHS is non-viable, and will have to be significantly re-thought in the near future.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it takes time to get used to changes - that doesn't mean that all the changes are good! Think everyone's entitled to their opinion, and not liking something doesn't mean that you just need more time to get used to it.
You're right, it doesn't mean all changes are good. There are obviously some things in the NHS that are better - they certainly are simpler. Conversely sometimes when people are confronted by change they are not used to they assume it is worse - I'm sure you understand this, just saying it as a general comment as we see a lot of incorrect assumptions about medicare on here as everybody is trying to work it all out and it is complicated.

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 22nd 2009 at 1:35 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:12 pm
ABCDiamond

I agree that not all changes are good, but we do NEED to get used to them, whether we like it or not, otherwise we end up being annoyed all the time.

My experience when I first moved out here, was that I was always complaining about things not being the same as the UK. That caused me to eventually return to the UK.

Obviously people are entitled to stay annoyed with things if they prefer, but if people really want to try to settle into a new country, they do need to try to adapt to the ways of that new country, and just accept the differences.

That is basically what I did on my return to Australia. It seems that I just needed a bit of time to get used to it.. and stop comparing.

But if people really prefer to stay annoyed with things because they are not done the "British" way, then by all means, that is perfectly OK too. But don't then complain when the "Whinging Pom" tag gets used. We can't have things both ways... Athough, being British, we would prefer that

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:18 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Wise words moneypenny, I cannot understand anyone that does not have ambo cover.

Mr PP was in a near fatal car crash on Saturday night, he had to be cut from the vehicle and I am expecting the ambo bill soon which I will take to Medibank.

We dont have full private cover as we are below the salary threshhold and at this moment in our lives would not be able to afford the gap which as he is in HDU and has been all week, the gap would have been enormous.

Please guys, get ambo cover, do not go on the 'we will be alright' kind of thoughts. Accidents happen in the blink of an eye and your lives are changed forever, so do not take the chance - its not much and its essential.

I have been seriously impressed with the level of care he has received, and if he recovers from this, paying for his weekly blood tests he is going to need is going to be a small price.

I now realise that you cannot have everything for free but if you get at least the lifesaving stuff and emergency care, then that suits me.

Get your ambulance cover, you never know what is around the corner.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:43 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Wise words moneypenny, I cannot understand anyone that does not have ambo cover.

Mr PP was in a near fatal car crash on Saturday night, he had to be cut from the vehicle and I am expecting the ambo bill soon which I will take to Medibank.

We dont have full private cover as we are below the salary threshhold and at this moment in our lives would not be able to afford the gap which as he is in HDU and has been all week, the gap would have been enormous.

Please guys, get ambo cover, do not go on the 'we will be alright' kind of thoughts. Accidents happen in the blink of an eye and your lives are changed forever, so do not take the chance - its not much and its essential.

I have been seriously impressed with the level of care he has received, and if he recovers from this, paying for his weekly blood tests he is going to need is going to be a small price.

I now realise that you cannot have everything for free but if you get at least the lifesaving stuff and emergency care, then that suits me.

Get your ambulance cover, you never know what is around the corner.
Really sorry to hear that Sam, please wish Mr PP a speedy recovery. Absolutely agree everyone should have ambulance cover. My doctor always writes 'please bulk bill' on my blood test requests so I'm guessing nothing is going to change. Sorry just read through the thread quickly and this post stood out
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:46 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The A Team
Really sorry to hear that Sam, please wish Mr PP a speedy recovery. Absolutely agree everyone should have ambulance cover. My doctor always writes 'please bulk bill' on my blood test requests so I'm guessing nothing is going to change. Sorry just read through the thread quickly and this post stood out
I never ever thought I would get 'that phone call' from a casualty department and I never thought I would hear the words 'car accident' and Mr PPs name in the same sentence.

I have ambo cover but never thought I would need to use it, it was my little 'just in case' policy.

Well I was proven wrong in all cases and this is the hardest thing I have ever gone through and having a large ambo bill is something at least I dont need to consider.

I am off up the hospital shortly and will pass on your message.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.