British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Black dust (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/black-dust-811084/)

brissybee Oct 3rd 2013 11:01 am

Black dust

Everything in our house keeps getting a coat of black (or grey) dust.

Before living in Brisbane I lived in the country and while there was dust, I really don't recall it being like this.

Regularly there is a solid build up of dust on the ceiling fans and outside, there is always a rapidly accumulating layer of black on our white car.

Does anyone else in cities have this problem? Is it fuel road/air pollution? It can't be good to breathe this in. :unsure:

Beoz Oct 3rd 2013 11:02 am

Re: Black dust

Might be an active volcano in Chilie or something

eddie007 Oct 3rd 2013 11:10 am

Had your eyes tested recently?

I thought we had black dust.... It was ants:blink:

brissybee Oct 3rd 2013 11:14 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 10928889)
Had your eyes tested recently?

I thought we had black dust.... It was ants:blink:

No... we've got them as well. :frown:

cresta57 Oct 3rd 2013 11:44 am

Originally Posted by brissybee (Post 10928893)
No... we've got them as well. :frown:

Do they eat the dust?

eddie007 Oct 3rd 2013 11:46 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 10928927)
Do they eat the dust?

I thinknthey just rearrange it

steve`o Oct 3rd 2013 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by brissybee (Post 10928879)

Before living in Brisbane I lived in the country and while there was dust, I really don't recall it being like this.

Regularly there is a solid build up of dust on the ceiling fans and outside, there is always a rapidly accumulating layer of black on our white car.

Does anyone else in cities have this problem? Is it fuel road/air pollution? It can't be good to breathe this in. :unsure:

cane fields?

we get a lot of black sooty looking grime on the boat around this time of year and its down to the local cane farmers burning off

eddie007 Oct 3rd 2013 9:39 pm

On a serious note.... You aren't using your air con at the moment are you? We had a black dust attack at work when ours was "fixed" after not working for many months

DeadVim Oct 3rd 2013 10:14 pm

Get a black car.

ozzieeagle Oct 3rd 2013 11:16 pm

Could try eating it, apparently it's on the British Menu...

Alfresco Oct 4th 2013 2:52 am

Originally Posted by brissybee (Post 10928879)

Can't say that I have. Do ou live close to any factories or industrial workshops etc...?

brissybee Oct 4th 2013 6:11 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 10929630)
On a serious note.... You aren't using your air con at the moment are you? We had a black dust attack at work when ours was "fixed" after not working for many months

Actually, yes... we are using the air con... AND it's been spewing out chunks of black crap on the carpet below. :ohmy:

OMG... I just thought there was some crap in the air con... I hadn't clicked on the idea the air con might be dusting the house... and where the air con is fitted outside is in the car port where the cars park.

Husband keeps cleaning the air con filter but it seems to keep coming. :(

brissybee Oct 4th 2013 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 10929853)
Can't say that I have. Do ou live close to any factories or industrial workshops etc...?

Not close to factories or workshops but within a kilometre of several motorways.

TBH, I can't wait to get the fout of here.

Alfresco Oct 4th 2013 6:30 am

Originally Posted by brissybee (Post 10929928)
Not close to factories or workshops but within a kilometre of several motorways.

TBH, I can't wait to get the fout of here.

Could be that. Rubber etc... I also now live close to one. I'll keep that in mind if I notice black dust too.

Kim67 Oct 5th 2013 1:44 am

You don't have an old asbestos roof do you?