Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

bl**dy english schools

bl**dy english schools

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:41 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default bl**dy english schools

my son has been a bit of a rebel in school he is now in his last year and has really towed the line
had his report the other day and considering last year they said he would be lucky to get a c in any of his subjects in his report they are estimating that he will get b's and a's
really pleased as i was constantly telling him he's waisting whats important to him
this morning i had a phone call from the school to say that my son is not wearing a tie or the correct shoes he has black trainers on instead of black shoes
they also said he will have to be punished about this (detention after school)
this angers me so much because it obviously is not hindering his progress in his work and also were are the possitives about the progress he has made over the last few months of school even in his report all they said was hes done well but could do better
is it any wonder kids dont get on with teachers

sorry to go on but i am so frustrated and needed to air my views

jan xx
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bl**dy english schools

Originally Posted by robos
my son has been a bit of a rebel in school he is now in his last year and has really towed the line
had his report the other day and considering last year they said he would be lucky to get a c in any of his subjects in his report they are estimating that he will get b's and a's
really pleased as i was constantly telling him he's waisting whats important to him
this morning i had a phone call from the school to say that my son is not wearing a tie or the correct shoes he has black trainers on instead of black shoes
this angers me so much because it obviously is not hindering his progress in his work and also were are the possitives about the progress he has made over the last few months of school even in his report all they said was hes done well but could do better

jan xx
I know what you mean, my lad gets a lift with his dad in a morning and one day last week the car wouldn't start, so I rang the school to tell them he'd be late and why. When he got there they gave him a bloody detention for being late!

I rang them and told them he wasn't going to attend his detention as it wasn't his fault he was late and that we'd rung to tell them why. I also told them next time I'll let him have all bloody day off
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:23 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robos

jan xx
Paid a poeni, ti'n dwad yma dwt? He'll be ok.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:33 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Some school rules are completely mad, my colleague got a telephone call at work, to as her why her son was wearing a grey shirt and not a white one as per school policy, she got embarassed and said, eh just done the washing theis mrning, the reply was, could she leave work and bring a white one to school, sorry no, she replies, her son was then actually suspended and sent home :scared: I think they just went overboard coz he is a bit of a lad as well,

However I think it encourages the attitude 'may as well get hung for a sheep as a lamb'

Also my daughter got a late slip once, and we had also phoned the school to say she would be late, as we had about 2 bloody feet of snow, and were having trouble with getting the car started
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:27 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I went to school in Germany where kids don't wear school uniform. As a result I've never understood the British obsession with school uniform. To me, it seems expensive and not very practical clothing.

And, as the most of the previous posters alreayd pointed out, some of those obesessed with school uniform lose sight of what's important about school ...

Gina
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:30 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
some of those obesessed with school uniform lose sight of what's important about school ...

Gina

totally disagree
if the schools policy is white shirt, black pants, black shoes or whatever
colour -- you wear them

threes now way that i would allow any employee of mine on site without
the correct clothing, if you start at school you get in the right frame of mind to carry on into employment.

regards Steve
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

A thread about school uniforms.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
I went to school in Germany where kids don't wear school uniform. As a result I've never understood the British obsession with school uniform. To me, it seems expensive and not very practical clothing.

And, as the most of the previous posters alreayd pointed out, some of those obesessed with school uniform lose sight of what's important about school ...

Gina
I disagree I think in this day and age when children want designer clothes and trainers a school uniform is a good thing, I know young mums on low income who welcome this as they know there children are not singled out for not having the latest fashion.
Janet
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 5:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

How long before we have another thread about how great Australian schools are because they insist that the kids wear uniforms properly?

G
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 6:57 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by FRAYNE
I disagree I think in this day and age when children want designer clothes and trainers a school uniform is a good thing, I know young mums on low income who welcome this as they know there children are not singled out for not having the latest fashion.
Janet

I second that, but sometimes bending the rules shuld be ok, you dont phone someone at work (my colleague is a theatre nurse same as me), and ask them to leave work and bring a white shirt to school,fgs.

She should have said, ok then, we'll cancel the last operation, perhaps a patient with cancer, so i can bring a shirt to the school, sometimes the teachers think they are the only ones with jobs, i am taking cover now.

No I fully appreciate the fact that this guy who phoned was probably just a prat
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 7:40 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

got the full facts now from the son

he said the bus was running a bit late for school this morning and instead of being late for registration he would get his mark first then get his shoes from his locker
when he tried to explain to the teacher she immediately told him to be quiet stop telling lies and sent him to the head of years office
hense the phone call home
now tell me should he just be late next time and get a detention for that???????

jan xx
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:07 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FRAYNE
Janet
Unless you are required to wear completely identical uniforms the poor are easily visible.

When I was in secondary school the usual blazer was wool, the poor kids polyester, same with every other item of the uniform incuding shoes.
Also, no matter how clean the clothes were they looked real shabby because they were cheap and didnt wash as well as the better quality items (cotton shirt vs polyester).

The idea of school uniforms as being there to stop poor kids from being singled out is rubbish. In my opinion uniforms are there for schools to make themselves look good, why else do they insist you advertise the schools emblem and colours ? Isnt it tantamount to wearing a shirt with NIKE all over it ?
If schools had a true belief that uniforms were a good thing, then they should be "uniform" all across the country and not be specific to a school and its emblems/colours.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Unless you are required to wear completely identical uniforms the poor are easily visible.

When I was in secondary school the usual blazer was wool, the poor kids polyester, same with every other item of the uniform incuding shoes.
Also, no matter how clean the clothes were they looked real shabby because they were cheap and didnt wash as well as the better quality items (cotton shirt vs polyester).

The idea of school uniforms as being there to stop poor kids from being singled out is rubbish. In my opinion uniforms are there for schools to make themselves look good, why else do they insist you advertise the schools emblem and colours ? Isnt it tantamount to wearing a shirt with NIKE all over it ?
If schools had a true belief that uniforms were a good thing, then they should be "uniform" all across the country and not be specific to a school and its emblems/colours.
I agree to a certain extent, but at my sons school he HAS to buy everything from the school except shoes, socks and underwear. His PE kit cost us £96

I can't believe that they can get away with it, it's daylight robbery.

I don't mind them wearing a uniform, but they should make them more affordable for everybody, especially as you're not allowed to buy from anywhere else.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:20 pm
one day rodders !!!

here here

jan xx
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
How long before we have another thread about how great Australian schools are because they insist that the kids wear uniforms properly?

G
you cynic. you.

i. I think uniforms are good, even if smarter ones can be told from cheaper ones.
ii. I think the occasional departure from strict policy is not an offence.
iii. Generally, Aussie kids do seem to wear their uniform better and more consistently - on the other hand, I've only seen the rich kids, haven't seen the poor kids yet.

Maybe they should continue the primary school practise of branded sweatshirts into secondary school and dispense with collar and tie. Even soldiers only have to wear a jumper over a shirt they haven't ironed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.