Biltong stokkies

Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:43 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Biltong stokkies

Originally Posted by rozellem
We were talking about this over the weekend. Has anyone attempted to make biltong from kangaroo meat? Surely there is a gap in the market? We eat kangaroo steaks regularly and buy biltong regularly, so its only a matter of time.....

ps. my fave biltong is Ostrich, yum.
OMG, we had Ostrich biltong and it was gorgeous, reminds me of the long journey to the Namib, stopping off to pick up some cold beers, having our lunch at the side of the road and nibbling on some Ostrich biltong.

Oh god I want to go back so badly, the smells of various delicious meals, the colours - even in the most driest of scenery, one green tree will light it up with colour, the different tribes, the dryness of it all.

That feeling that if you blink your eyes for one second you will miss so much.

When I win the lotto, I will go back.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
I need to set up my own biltong lab... I'm assuming that its unaustralian and against the law.... But I'm SURE I can produce it for a lot less than $55 a kilo

My biggest worry is "if it goes green it has spoiled so throw it away... I REALLY dont want to poison myself.... I suppose thats where the lab rats, sorry, hounds from hell will come in...

Iis off to Coles to buy me some silverside.... If I can find out what silverside is in australian....

I'm gonna get one of these and make some again.

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/5...tail_container

I left my hanging biltong maker in the UK.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I'm gonna get one of these and make some again.

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/5...tail_container

I left my hanging biltong maker in the UK.
I have one of them.... Somewhere..... Cant put me hand on it at the mo... Perhaps HE has thrown it out..... You can buy the ones they have at the butchers ... The big glass boxes for $195..... But I'm doing my first lot with the fan oven on zero heat.....

When I get round to it, which wont be today coz I'm working tonight so am going to chillax ....
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I have one of them.... Somewhere..... Cant put me hand on it at the mo... Perhaps HE has thrown it out..... You can buy the ones they have at the butchers ... The big glass boxes for $195..... But I'm doing my first lot with the fan oven on zero heat.....

When I get round to it, which wont be today coz I'm working tonight so am going to chillax ....
Yep seen them. Bit pricey.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Here is my husband's biltong box. He made it himself, has a light and fan and the front is covered in mesh. He has the recipe down to perfection, and most people who try it prefer it to the SA shop. It holds about 6kgs of meat - so he makes a batch every couple of weeks.
Attached Thumbnails Biltong stokkies-bilton.jpg  
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep seen them. Bit pricey.
Dunno... $195 for a "professional" one.... Its the same make and model they use in our local butchers and biltong starts at $70 a kilo... It'd pay for itself within weeks....

The round air dryer I got was $5 from a garage sale.... It'll pay for itself in the first batch if it works.....

Still waiting for the sFfa online shop to contact me about payment

Have to get HIM to study the plans for a home made one.... Should be able to knock one up for me I reckon...

Bit worried bout the plastic on the airdryer being in contact with the meat...
Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz
Here is my husband's biltong box. He made it himself, has a light and fan and the front is covered in mesh. He has the recipe down to perfection, and most people who try it prefer it to the SA shop. It holds about 6kgs of meat - so he makes a batch every couple of weeks.
Looks awesome. 6 kgs should last a looooong while, though not in our house.

That is the best way to make it though.

Dunno... $195 for a "professional" one.... Its the same make and model they use in our local butchers and biltong starts at $70 a kilo... It'd pay for itself within weeks....

The round air dryer I got was $5 from a garage sale.... It'll pay for itself in the first batch if it works.....

Still waiting for the sFfa online shop to contact me about payment

Have to get HIM to study the plans for a home made one.... Should be able to knock one up for me I reckon...

Bit worried bout the plastic on the airdryer being in contact with the meat...
Can't go wrong with the hanging "Pro" one. Give it a go.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

unfortunately the 6kg dries out to about 3.5kg so by the time all the friends get a piece, usually lasts a week!
Don't forget the secret in the marinading of the meat for 24 hours before hanging.. (in vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar)
he also adds chilli to the biltong spice for some of the meat
Old Nov 16th 2011, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you could use a fruit dryer. You can buy the ready made spices at a S.A. shop.

http://www.africashop.com.au/shop/in...ewCat&catId=45

Will last ages.

Biltong is easy to make. Stokkies will be quicker because the meat is very thinly cut.
i want the biltong making machine on that site!
one question, when you dry/make biltong, does it smell?

I've witnessed the nasal horror of meat curing and it stinks. The end result is great but the process aint.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by In Exile
i want the biltong making machine on that site!
one question, when you dry/make biltong, does it smell?

I've witnessed the nasal horror of meat curing and it stinks. The end result is great but the process aint.
It gives off a sweetish smell of the biltong spice and vinegar (that you marinate it overnight/24hrs in) for the first day or two, until it starts drying properly. So mostly those, but not a meaty smell.

If you're gonna splash for the machine and you also like sherry, grab a bottle of Old Brown sherry. The best sherry for making trifles.
http://www.africashop.com.au/shop/in...&productId=294

I just ordered a bottle with my biltong spice.

Last edited by Alfresco; Nov 17th 2011 at 1:31 am.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

unfortunately the 6kg dries out to about 3.5kg so by the time all the friends get a piece, usually lasts a week!
Don't forget the secret in the marinading of the meat for 24 hours before hanging.. (in vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar)
he also adds chilli to the biltong spice for some of the meat
Yep true. It doesn't last long if others know where it is.

Could you post his recipe and method here please?

Last edited by Alfresco; Nov 17th 2011 at 1:50 am.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

It gives off a sweetish smell of the biltong spice and vinegar (that you marinate it overnight/24hrs in) for the first day or two, until it starts drying properly. So mostly those, but not a meaty smell.

If you're gonna splash for the machine and you also like sherry, grab a bottle of Old Brown sherry. The best sherry for making trifles.

I just ordered a bottle with my biltong spice.
cool. so if i used our external laundry room (locked), it wouldnt create a rotting meat smell for the neighbours?

EDIT: can you use the machine for Droewurst (sp) too? I imagine thats a bit harder to make though

I do like sherry - that's alcoholic right?
I jest. I do like it, but unfortunately i dont like triffle. Its the soggy sponge and fruit that i cant handle. To put it into perspective, i have to eat Weetabix really fast while its still a bit crunchy. Once its soggy, its game over.

In this case though, I dont think I'll let me triffle prejudice get in the way of a good bottle of sherry. Thanks for the recomendation

How long does the biltong take? and can you overdo it? Stuff ive bought in Australia tends to be really really overly dried, and unpleasant. Stuff I bought in the SA shops of london, or SA itself has been moist and bloody marvellous.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by In Exile
cool. so if i used our external laundry room (locked), it wouldnt create a rotting meat smell for the neighbours?

EDIT: can you use the machine for Droewurst (sp) too? I imagine thats a bit harder to make though

I do like sherry - that's alcoholic right?
I jest. I do like it, but unfortunately i dont like triffle. Its the soggy sponge and fruit that i cant handle. To put it into perspective, i have to eat Weetabix really fast while its still a bit crunchy. Once its soggy, its game over.

In this case though, I dont think I'll let me triffle prejudice get in the way of a good bottle of sherry. Thanks for the recomendation

How long does the biltong take? and can you overdo it? Stuff ive bought in Australia tends to be really really overly dried, and unpleasant. Stuff I bought in the SA shops of london, or SA itself has been moist and bloody marvellous.
The Sherry is great for sipping neat. :sunglasses:

It shouldn't be a problem in the laundry as long as it's not dark and damp which causes mould especially in the first few days and will spoil the biltong. Ventilation and light are best until it starts going hard on the outside.

Yep, hang it in the same machine. If you can make the wors itself. It doesn't need marinading, just hang it out to dry as it were.

Last edited by Alfresco; Nov 17th 2011 at 2:05 am.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

OBS Alfresco? Really?

That stuff is f**king disgusting. Takes me back to being 16 and buying that shit to get drunk on as it was so cheap. Shudders.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
OBS Alfresco? Really?

That stuff is f**king disgusting. Takes me back to being 16 and buying that shit to get drunk on as it was so cheap. Shudders.

Reminds me of the army.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.