Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:49 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Default Re: Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

not me...
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Originally Posted by Seneca21
I found out yesterday that SA has the largest number of German immigrants in the whole country, for historical reasons. There are actually rather a lot of Germans in the state.

No wonder the public transport is as good as you say it is - it's probably organised by Germans.
Mike Rann is very passionate about public transport, especially train infrastructure. I don't think it's got anything to do with the germans...unless he's one?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
I looked for a bus for my brother today, couldn't make head nor tail of the west yorkshire bus routes. In SA I type in where I want to start and where I want to be and it tells me what buses to get...not so in the UK I ended up giving him 6 pound to get home in a taxi (only 3k away!) as there didn't seem to be a bus that went past the place he needed to be.

And yes, I know that's nothing to do with globilisation, but the UK isn't all that as I have fonud out this week. In fact, it's a dump and it's so not cheap! I've spent over 1,500 so far and I've been here a week! and that's not dollars, that's pounds!
It's not the promised land some would have us believe.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:03 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Billionaire Gerry Harvey whines about internet and wants a tax on online shopping

Gerry Harvey of Harvey Horman is whining because his $1.4 billion fortune is being adversely affected by Australians who go online to find a better deal. People go online because much of the stuff in Australia is quite expensive, especially books which are totally unaffordable. The reason for this is the massive house price inflation.

Currently you can buy up to $1000 worth of goods without paying import duty, but if a tax were to be introduced that raised the price of online goods to those of the local market how would it affect you? Should this guy shut up or is he justified?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225959734340
Typical private sector. Bashing the government one day; begging for taxpayer handouts and anti-competitive legislation the next.

Memo to Mr Norman: if you can't maintain a profitable enterprise under typical market conditions, perhaps you shouldn't be in business.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I can't help agreeing with you here Renth. Perhaps if he were to make his business a little more competitive, then he may find it less of a shock.

And of course, this doesn't just go for Harvey Norman - My perception is that many traders charge over the odds for goods and services - well certainly for the things that I am buying - and being able to purchase overseas is a valid avenue for obtaining goods at a cheaper rate. I suspect that for many things, an additional 10% will still mean it's cheaper overseas.

Interesting how the Labour government seems very unwilling to regulate interest rate rises by the banks, yet, where consumers are getting a win by purchasing overseas, it's suddenly of paramount importance that we restrict free trade with additional duties. Interesting double faced approach...

S
Where did you get this story from about the Labor government making free trade restrictions a paramount importance?
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Where did you get this story from about the Labor government making free trade restrictions a paramount importance?
Any story I've read said that the govt says it would be 'too difficult' or would be 'too unpopular'.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Typical private sector. Bashing the government one day; begging for taxpayer handouts and anti-competitive legislation the next.

Memo to Mr Norman: if you can't maintain a profitable enterprise under typical market conditions, perhaps you shouldn't be in business.
+1. His business was developed in an environment with relatively low competition, I'm guessing, so his whole business model is probably not very well suited to the new globalised system, especially in terms of the internet. What interests me is that rather than adapt his business model he is calling on government to increase taxation, essentially on his competitors.

I presumed this was just a rant, but what if he gets what he wishes for and they slap a nice 15% on online goods and services?
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:10 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Today's SMH - Bill Shorten (assistant Treasurer) says that the government will still consider doing something, and that "This deserves serious examination"

Shorten considers taxing web shoppers

Imported goods worth less than $1000 are exempt from the GST. The government asked the independent Board of Taxation to examine the threshold early this year, but the board said reducing the threshold was not ''administratively feasible''.

However the Assistant Treasurer, Bill Shorten, told the Herald that the government would still consider doing something.

The ''government understands the concerns of retailers and other stakeholders about this issue, particularly in light of the high Australian dollar,'' Mr Shorten said. ''It deserves serious examination and, while the threshold is good for consumers, we need to balance that against the interests of retailers and the administrative burden on businesses.''
Perhaps paramount importance was going a bit far though

S
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the promised land some would have us believe.
Well, they can have it. I am so over this place already I'm seriously considering seeing if my flight back can be changed. It's only my family that's really stopping me, cos I feel guilty even thinking of leaving early.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Today's SMH - Bill Shorten (assistant Treasurer) says that the government will still consider doing something, and that "This deserves serious examination"

S
To be honest if they put this on books then I will have to resort having my family buy them all and send them over as gifts, etc. In fact if they put this on anything I will be pretty angry. How much influence does this Harvey guy have over the Labor Party? Does he have photographs of cabinet members in compromising positions or something? His suggestion is ridiculous and shouldn't be considered by anyone.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:17 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest if they put this on books then I will have to resort having my family buy them all and send them over as gifts, etc. In fact if they put this on anything I will be pretty angry. How much influence does this Harvey guy have over the Labor Party? Does he have photographs of cabinet members in compromising positions or something? His suggestion is ridiculous and shouldn't be considered by anyone.
I'm guessing he probably makes generous donations to both major parties.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I looked for a bus for my brother today, couldn't make head nor tail of the west yorkshire bus routes. In SA I type in where I want to start and where I want to be and it tells me what buses to get...not so in the UK
Is this what you were looking for Wendy?

http://www.metrojourneyplanner.info/...JourneyPlan.do

Seems the same?

I guess its just what you are used to...I tried the Adelaide one the other week and thought it was rubbish!
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:20 am
Account Closed

S
Thanks for that. Hopefully it's just pie in the sky thinking.

It's a pain that Europe has already introduced this. Sometimes I would like to buy stuff using my UK credit card (as I still have some pounds) but that means paying an extra 15% compared to using my Aussie credit card.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth
I'm guessing he probably makes generous donations to both major parties.
I suspect you're right. Making Australia even less competitive doesn't seem very bright to me, but the right of one billionaire funder to get richer outweighs the rights of millions of people to a fair price in the market.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Even if they did add duty and GST I am sure it would still be cheaper to buy overseas and pay the shipping rather than buy from Gerry Harvey.

He should shut the **** up.

Having read the article I will never buy anything from Harvey Norman again.
I never have - and now I never will. Ever.

He makes me laugh when he says that internet sales have little affect on his sales - small electronics, phones, laptops, cameras make up a lot of HN's retail space - the very stuff that people are buying on the internet. So he is talking out of his arse.

I know Australian retail is pretty backward but I am really surprised that a major Aussie retailer like Woolworths, Westfarmers etc have not started an Amazon/Tesco/Walmart type internet site - I reckon they would make a killing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.