Wikiposts

Bikers in Australia

Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bikers in Australia

Originally Posted by Kingseat
I think they are nuts!

Hubby says they've never had a skin scrub before as if they had they'd be dressed the way he is everyday in full kit!
Do you know, I misread this as "full kilt"!
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Do you know, I misread this as "full kilt"!
ouch!

Sure to a tar tan with that!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:14 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

I shudder when I see them fruitcakes whizzing along the road in shorts- its shocking to think you would go without the proper gear but to let a child on the back like it is crimminal, not least when the majority of oz car drivers have total bike blindness! I s'pose you only come off a bike dressed like that once.....
Gravel rash aint pretty and it aint clever but it's for life!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 8:42 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently realised that my eldest will be 16 and old enough for a motorbike soon after we arrive in Australia. Scary.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

'not least when the majority of oz car drivers have total bike blindness!'
FINALLY !!!!!!! If car drivers spent more time concentrating on what they were doing and less time picking faults in the activities of others perhaps protective bike gear might not be as necessary... dont get me wrong im all in favour of leathers etc, but they must be painfully hot in oz, no? Leathers wont stop you being killed on a bike, but they'll stop a lot of gravel rash. Theres also as ever an issue of freedom of choice involved here to an extent, though i will concede taking your kids on a bike without clothing even is wreckless.And yes im a biker and yes ive fallen off at 30 and it sodding well hurt A LOT, i blacked out as my head hit the road, broke 2 hands from clenching the bars as it went down(common according to the nurses,)and ripped up my leg, all with the gear on. 2 cents spent , thank you!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 9:04 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
You can do 30mph on a bicycle?
Sometimes. I usually average about 25-30k but I can get up to 60k at times. I can certainly do 48k on the flat for short periods if I push it.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 12th 2010 at 9:14 am.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 9:12 am
Account Closed

I've moved away from riding bikes because of the dangers (imposed by others). I've also started riding the bicycle more off road; again because of the danger imposed by others. The sad reality of both of these activities is that you're more likely to be damaged by other people's mistakes than your own.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 9:30 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I've moved away from riding bikes because of the dangers (imposed by others). I've also started riding the bicycle more off road; again because of the danger imposed by others. The sad reality of both of these activities is that you're more likely to be damaged by other people's mistakes than your own.
Very true. I've had so many lucky escapes on my motorbike over the years, all due to peoples carelessness.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 9:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulry
Very true. I've had so many lucky escapes on my motorbike over the years, all due to peoples carelessness.
I know my perception of danger will have increased as I've become older but I also think the actual danger has increased in part due to the increasing number of safety features on cars.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently realised that my eldest will be 16 and old enough for a motorbike soon after we arrive in Australia. Scary.

Don't worry, it's very long process to get a license in Oz - years apparently.

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Sometimes. I usually average about 25-30k but I can get up to 60k at times. I can certainly do 48k on the flat for short periods if I push it.
I was thinking about the average commuter on a bicycle like here in the uk. None ever seem to make it close to 50Ks.

Recreation cyclists can really move but that's mostly on weekends.

Last edited by Alfresco; Mar 12th 2010 at 5:58 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

I was thinking about the average commuter on a bicycle like here in the uk. None ever seem to make it close to 50Ks.

Recreation cyclists can really move but that's mostly on weekends.
I'm on a flatbar. Nothing special. But I see what you mean. All I was saying is that a lot of people think of scooter speeds as being not that dissimilar to cycling speed and hence don't protect themselves as well as if they were driving a CBR600 (say).
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:04 am
Banned

Even for just a 50cc?
Old Mar 13th 2010, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Even for just a 50cc?
I reckon.

http://www.rego.act.gov.au/licensing/licencelearner.htm

Doesn't say much more after provisional license, but by judging on license info from other states, they may need to ride on P plates for two years after passing practical test. Maybe be similar in ACT.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 9:43 pm
Banned

I reckon.

http://www.rego.act.gov.au/licensing/licencelearner.htm

Doesn't say much more after provisional license, but by judging on license info from other states, they may need to ride on P plates for two years after passing practical test. Maybe be similar in ACT.
Thanks for that