Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bigging up Australia

Bigging up Australia

Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bigging up Australia

I had the gall to point out in another thread that a purchasing a property with a view of Sydney Harbour might be a tad expensive for most people moving out from the UK. This showed a definite lack of ‘aspiration’ on my part apparently. So to put the record straight…

Australia is a very big country. Most if it is uninhabitable, but the bits around the edge are very pretty.

Australians are very friendly. You will get called a Pom from time to time or a Wog if you happen to look a bit Mediterranean, but that’s just par for the course and should be accepted in good spirit.

Australians all look like they are from the cast of Neighbours. The Australian government has passed legislation outlawing ‘ugly’ people. Anybody falling below this high standard will be offered free plastic surgery to correct their issues. As a result of this policy Australia looks just like Neighbours… honest it really, really does.

It’s sunny every single day.

There is no drought.

There are no water restrictions.

There are no flies.

Poisonous spiders and snakes are just a myth.

The construction standard of your home will put the Great Wall of China to shame. You will never get the feeling that your home might have been built from balsa wood.

Property is cheap. At no point in recent history were Australian homes the most expensive in the Western world in relation to income.

Coles and Woolworth's make Tesco’s and Sainsbury’s look like Arkwright’s store from Open all Hours.

The clothes available in the stores are of staggering quality and range. My wife claims that the choice of women’s clothing available in Target, Best and Less, Payless, Rivers and the multitudinous other high quality retailers puts the streets of Milan to shame. I personally struggle to choose between Billabong, Rip Curl and errm, ahh, ermm… let me come back to this one.

Driving standards are amongst the highest in the world and tailgating is not a national pastime. The guy three feet from your bumper is just performing his civic duty and checking that your rear tyres are OK. If your tyres check out he will then undertake you as fast as possible and cut in three feet from your front bumper so he can check the front set. In no way should this be seen as them cutting you up.
You will be greeted by a cheery wave from other drivers wherever you go.

Australian politics and politicians are the finest in the world. Their administrative skills and complete lack of even a hint of corruption are legendary. There are some small exceptions of course. The council closest to me was closed for incompetence, the one next to that was closed because of endemic corruption…. hmmm, can I come back to this one as well?.

Australia has numerous human rights enshrined in its Constitution… no wait, hang on a minute, that’s nonsense, it has nothing of the sort, but if you are coming from the UK then there’s no change there, so obviously nothing to worry about.

These and many others, are the reasons I enjoy living here.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Oct 27th 2008 at 11:00 pm. Reason: spelling correction... got to keep the standards up
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:25 pm

Ruby slippers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bigging up Australia

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I had the gall to point out in another thread that a purchasing a property with a view of Sydney Harbour might be a tad expensive for most people moving out from the UK. This showed a definite lack of ‘aspiration’ on my part apparently. So to put the record straight…

Australia is a very big country. Most if it is uninhabitable, but the bits around the edge are very pretty.

Australians are very friendly. You will get called a Pom from time to time or a Wog if you happen to look a bit Mediterranean, but that’s just par for the course and should be accepted in good spirit.

Australians all look like they are from the cast of Neighbours. The Australian government has passed legislation outlawing ‘ugly’ people. Anybody falling below this high standard will be offered free plastic surgery to correct their issues. As a result of this policy Australia looks just like Neighbours… honest it really, really does.

It’s sunny every single day.

There is no drought.

There are no water restrictions.

There are no flies.

Poisonous spiders and snakes are just a myth.

The construction standard of your home will put the Great Wall of China to shame. You will never get the feeling that your home might have been built from balsa wood.

Property is cheap. At no point in recent history were Australian homes the most expensive in the Western world in relation to income.

Coles and Woolworth's make Tesco’s and Sainsbury’s look like Arkwright’s store from Open all Hours.

The clothes available in the stores are of staggering quality and range. My wife claims that the choice of women’s clothing available in Target, Best and Less, Payless, Rivers and the multitudinous other high quality retailers puts the streets of Milan to shame. I personally struggle to choose between Billabong, Rip Curl and errm, ahh, ermm… let me come back to this one.

Driving standards are amongst the highest in the world and tailgating is not a national pastime. The guy three feet from your bumper is just performing his civic duty and checking that your rear tyres are OK. If your tyres check out he will then undertake you as fast as possible and cut in three feet from your front bumper so he can check the front set. In no way should this be seen as them cutting you up.
You will be greeted by a cheery wave from other drives wherever you go.

Australian politics and politicians are the finest in the world. Their administrative skills and complete lack of even a hint of corruption are legendary. There are some small exceptions of course. The council closest to me was closed for incompetence, the one next to that was closed because of endemic corruption…. hmmm, can I come back to this one as well?.

Australia has numerous human rights enshrined in its Constitution… no wait, hang on a minute, that’s nonsense, it has nothing of the sort, but if you are coming from the UK then there’s no change there, so obviously nothing to worry about.

I am sooooo glad I now have my visa....Australia it's just what I hoped it would be!!!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:37 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to hear it, creature.

Say, do you think England will win the Rugby this year?
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Good to hear it, creature.

Say, do you think England will win the Rugby this year?
hmmmm... let me get back to you on that one.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:10 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmmm... let me get back to you on that one.
We're not doing too badly. I think it was 1972 we last won it. There's always a chance.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:17 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I had the gall to point out in another thread that a purchasing a property with a view of Sydney Harbour might be a tad expensive for most people moving out from the UK.
Speak for yourself. I'm thinking of buying that $7.8m apartment down the road from the loose change in my purse.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:46 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Speak for yourself. I'm thinking of buying that $7.8m apartment down the road from the loose change in my purse.

Family credit part (A) should be able to pay for it. I bought my house this way.

I have never had to buy food and petrol is really cheap cos I ride a bike.

Whilst the whole world is worried about a possible recession, Australia is protected as we have the best banking system in the world.

Australia. Why live anywhere else
Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:52 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot the excellent TV and media standards.
Lack of talent doesnt stop them providing superb TV entertainment by buying up the cheapest quality TV shows they can find.
My temporary disablement has been made much easier by the range of educating, stimulating listings on offer. Thankyou Australia
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:02 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

$7.8m for an apartment, wow. I bet won't have sound or heat insulation though
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:17 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I bet.

Here it is - http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2006881289

There's no way we can afford to buy more than a studio apartment with no view in this suburb, so we're enjoying it while we rent. If I stand on my tippytoes at the bottom of the garden, I can see the harbour, but in the opposite direction from the bridge.

($7.75m is nothing compared to some of the houses overlooking the beaches.)
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:24 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

I bet.

Here it is - http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2006881289

There's no way we can afford to buy more than a studio apartment with no view in this suburb, so we're enjoying it while we rent. If I stand on my tippytoes at the bottom of the garden, I can see the harbour, but in the opposite direction from the bridge.

($7.75m is nothing compared to some of the houses overlooking the beaches.)
It's nice no doubt and a great view.

But you could buy castle in Europe for that money!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:38 am
Auntie Fa

It's funny - when we said we were moving here our friends/family in both the UK and Sg asked if we were going to get a big house with a pool. In central Sydney? Um, no.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:43 am
Auntie Fa

In my never-ending quest to avoid housework, I thought I'd just compare my favourite bridge with another one quite dear to my heart. Not much different, really.

(The 2nd pic is ours; apologies if I've posted it before.)
Attached Thumbnails Bigging up Australia-bridge-1.jpg   Bigging up Australia-big-boat.jpg  
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:47 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

In my never-ending quest to avoid housework, I thought I'd just compare my favourite bridge with another one quite dear to my heart. Not much different, really.

(The 2nd pic is ours; apologies if I've posted it before.)
Stick a video camera on the roof and a 60" screen on your wall. Bingo. View of the harbour.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:48 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Creature, how dare you speak the truth

We are on a forum here, we must all obey the rules and talk out of our arse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.