Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The biggest Redback I have ever seen

The biggest Redback I have ever seen

Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice
Default Re: The biggest Redback I have ever seen

My father in law was here on holiday just last week, came out of the shower with a tissue in his hand and said look what i've just found on my head !! when he unwrapped the tissue it was a redback

He said do you know what this is?? as he let it wonder around half dead on his paper towel.

When we told him what it was he couldn't believe it.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:31 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jond
Don't forget, if you ever get bitten by a snake or spider always leave the venom on the wound as it helps them to identify exactly what bit you.

Don't ever think of being a cowboy and sucking the venom out as it doesn't work.
Snake expert told us that if you suck out the poision all you are likey to do is poison yourself aswell!

Em x
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Sharie is a jewel in the roughSharie is a jewel in the roughSharie is a jewel in the roughSharie is a jewel in the rough

So anyone seen anything like my bright yellow one before ? It's still out there from yesterday, in the narrow laneway down the side of the house, it bobs about on it's web about 5 ft from the ground. Totally day-glow yellow..........
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:07 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
Snake expert told us that if you suck out the poision all you are likey to do is poison yourself aswell!

Em x
The only time venom could possibly be harmful if swallowed is if the person had a bad cut in mouth or a stomach ulcer but either way it would usually be very mild ... not that Im gonna go out and test this anytime soon LOL

http://drsculerati.com/Snake%20Venom.html

Venoms are not poisons: poisons technically have to be eaten or otherwise ingested to cause harm. Instead, most snake venoms would be made harmless by the digestive system if they were eaten. That's because venom's power is in the activity of the enzymes and nerve blockers that they contain, and these proteins and peptides are usually denatured by stomach acid into inactive forms. Venom must get into the internal bodies of victims in a fresh, un - denatured state to do its job: causing such things as shock, paralysis, and bleeding. Snakes have all the equipment required to deliver venom in an effective manner, as discussed more fully on the pages on snake bite. This article focuses more on the venom, itself, than the bite of a venemous snake.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:24 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
A big fact aussie in fact
Was that a typo?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hevs
We get lots in our wood pile, but its the white tails that plague us inside!
Do you know, I wouldnt have the foggiest idea what a white tip or white tail looks like???
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Do you know, I wouldnt have the foggiest idea what a white tip or white tail looks like???
no, me neither..

*nips off to google it*
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:12 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sj oldfield

MAYBE THIS WILL ENLIGHTEN YOU

Looks a pretty nasty one

Dougie
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:13 am
Account Closed

Oh god, never ever google things like this.. I am now itching all over and feel a bit sick...

eurghh

Em x
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
MAYBE THIS WILL ENLIGHTEN YOU

Looks a pretty nasty one

Dougie
Cheers!!!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:20 am
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
Looks a pretty nasty one

That looks like....an awfully friendly spider....
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:13 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Yep! Thats them. We get a lot of them and the females can get a lot bigger than I used to think they could (if that makes sense) However a swift slap with a shoe or squirt with mortien sees them off
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:20 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

We get a lot of Whitetails although nothing the size of the MONSTER that tried to mug Gill the other day when she was putting away the folded washing. All I heard was an "EEEK!" and I ran through to the bedroom, there was a lot of frantic pointing and slapping with a flipflop and what was left was the mangled corpse of a HUGE Whitetail, most are pretty small. We have a couple up high in the corners of the bedroom right now, but they are well beyond the reach of Mortein and a chair as we don't have a ladder. So we have to live with them while they eat the other smaller spiders.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:30 am
High in the Dandenongs

Just make sure you don't leave clothes on the floor the Al, they love laundry.

I was bitten in bed too...so be careful out there
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Was that a typo?

Yeah

He is a big FAT aussie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.