Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

biggest power bill ever!

biggest power bill ever!

Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:33 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: biggest power bill ever!

Originally Posted by Seasider
I'm still trying to comprehend Sandra's five fridges.
Upstairs Fridge - Main food one
Upstairs Freezer - Main use
Downstairs Fridge Freezer - Drinks / Ice / Party Food
Wine Fridge - only a 48 bottle
Son's Bar Fridge in his room (has always had this even pre Aus)

we also have another wine Fridge in the garage but have not got that one plugged in - we thought it might be a little excessive .

I have the daftest house ever - not posh; just mental, Three bed detached bungalow was extended to a double storey - they just built exactly the same floor plan on the top! So I have two of everything. But with 21 year old son 18 year old daughter and a young friend of the family living here as well as Hubby and I it have been brilliant with the teen years and visiting family.

We are just not as prepared to pay for young adults being lazy with resources as we once were so they will have to chip in.

Last edited by Sandra; Mar 25th 2011 at 2:55 am.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 3:05 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We had a heat recovery unit in Florida - brilliant! It just sits outside and transfers most of the heat being given off by the A/C unit to the house's hot water circuit.

In summer we had constant almost boiling water for months with the electric water tank heater switched off.

We specced it for our house build but of course no-one here had ever heard of it nor was interested in finding out about it.............
Old Mar 25th 2011, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

The trick is to hire an idiot to wire your house. When we moved in to our house 5 years ago, we got it re-wired (by an idiot).

Now if we have the microwave and the kettle on at the same time , the power trips and we have to go out to the fuse box and reset it.

If we have the hoover on and the pool pump the power trips.

If we have the air-con on and the plasma tv, the power trips.

So follow my lead, get a useless electrician in who says thats what it is supposed to do.:curse: It's for your own good. Australia hasn't discovered fuses for plugs apparently.

JTL
Old Mar 25th 2011, 5:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Australia hasn't discovered fuses for plugs apparently.
Fuses in plugs are a legacy system from a time before RCD. In modern times they are unnecessary and a PITA. They are irrelevant to the problems you are experiencing
Old Mar 25th 2011, 5:28 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
The trick is to hire an idiot to wire your house. When we moved in to our house 5 years ago, we got it re-wired (by an idiot).

Now if we have the microwave and the kettle on at the same time , the power trips and we have to go out to the fuse box and reset it.

If we have the hoover on and the pool pump the power trips.

If we have the air-con on and the plasma tv, the power trips.

So follow my lead, get a useless electrician in who says thats what it is supposed to do.:curse: It's for your own good. Australia hasn't discovered fuses for plugs apparently.

JTL
Mine used to be like that.. we had to wait for the toaster to finish before turning the kettle on.... got it all sorted by an electrician who wasn't an idiot.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 5:34 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
checked the meter reading, it is right. the clock in there is moving far more quickly than expected. i think my usage was 69kw.

The meter reading might be right. But you should be checking the unit cost of your electricity... look on the power bills and you'll find it.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

running through my power:

Pool pump - going to check time / put on at night. pool man coming tomorrow because I cant actually get to it via a fence (long story).

Studio - noone in there but when they are: gas water, light, tv - no fans or aircon or cooking.
garden - small water feature, halogen lamp lighting up forest behind us (interesting Sam, I am going to check that out!). I also plug a fan in there when I am pretending to be barbara cartland by the pool.

outside area: 4 lights. mosquito killer thing.

House - hardly use the kitchen, usually bbq or use a george foreman type thing.
aircon - through this summer on 6 hours a night - one room.
3 bedrooms - children have fan on all night because they are in loft beds.
my bedroom - no fan/aircon.
electric hot water - this is a contender and its interesting the post above about a leak - I did have a leak discovered when I had a mental water bill. when they plumbed in a new bathroom they didnt do it properly.

I was thinking broad shoulders - maybe the solar hot water should be above solar power on my list? i am getting a big water tank so i may try solar water and plumb the toilets into tank water first - what do you think?

The tumble dryer is also used heavily. very heavily.

The thing is that it has been for the last 3 years, none of this is new - its always been that way and usually my bills are much much less.

checked the meter reading, it is right. the clock in there is moving far more quickly than expected. i think my usage was 69kw.

I think when my OH gets back from working away, I really may end up having a divorce being solely responsible for all energy and water consumption in the house

the joys of life in a hot climate - I used to pay 17 squid a month at home 9mind you it was a while ago!)
heating hot water electrically is very, very expensive it could be that.

I had this problem in the last house I moved into in Glasgow, turned out my boiler had an electric immersion heater that I knew nothing about and there was no switch to get it off. My electricity usage was twice that of an average 3 bedroom home, as soon as I got a switch on it my use nearly halved.

Try running your hot water for 20mins, then watch your electricity meter, if it's going loopy it's probably that.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:01 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
T
2 adults 2 teens, one load is stinky work/school clothes, people sweat in this climate if you dont wash it it stinks. One load a day of towels or sheets, and then a load of whites, delciates, my good clothes etc...
Why do you need to wash towels every day? You are clean when you use them! I just hang mine outside to dry......

I wash once a day...two adults, 2 teens and a mucky 4 YO. At the weekend I do a full whites load, a towel load and a couple of bedding loads. 8.5 kilo front loader.

I have started back to work and I'm super organised for once! The laundry bins are all empty and everythings clean and put away..bliss... (sorry for the waffle, but I'm dead chuffed!!)
Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:56 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

I am completely blown away by my power bill. broad shoulders came round to see ems and I and counselled me on how to get my $600-$800 a quarter bill down. some great ideas about finding out usage etc and helping me choose a solar system (thanks S!).

he told me my bill was in the top 5%.

anyway I just get my new bill and its staggeringly highat $1400! most is day time use despite being out from 7 until 5. Called energy australia - zero help in working out how my usage could have almost doubled but have told me to get appliances checked incase something has broken.

anyone else get anything near this? its mental - I mean I am going to employ lots of third world children to fan me, it'll be cheaper.
I'd be wondering if you have a short or something. If it were me I'd unplug absolutely everything and turn off the breaker to the hot water tank and then start plugging things in one at a time and check how fast the dial on the meter is spinning to rule out shorts.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Boobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really nice

Originally Posted by bingobob777
heating hot water electrically is very, very expensive it could be that.

I had this problem in the last house I moved into in Glasgow, turned out my boiler had an electric immersion heater that I knew nothing about and there was no switch to get it off. My electricity usage was twice that of an average 3 bedroom home, as soon as I got a switch on it my use nearly halved.

Try running your hot water for 20mins, then watch your electricity meter, if it's going loopy it's probably that.
We think this was similar to the problem we had with our large bills. The thermostat went in our hot water tank and when the guy replaced it he said something about our hot water being really hot and he adjusted it. Don't know if that was the problem or the thermostat, but since then our bills have dropped by approx $200 per quarter!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs

Why do you need to wash towels every day? You are clean when you use them! I just hang mine outside to dry......

Hot and humid weather, used towels just sit limp and dont dry. Humid so people showering up to 3 times a day, pre school, after school, pre bed cause your hot again, plus Swimming pool towels.

Plus with the humid weather we like clean sheets at least twice a week.

However we could be a bit spoilt, when my bro and uncle came out they both said it was like staying in a 5 star resort
Old Mar 30th 2011, 12:58 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw that the average power bill (annual) in QLD is $2200!

So that's $550 a quarter.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/money/money-m...-1226030516183
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:42 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Rainwater tanks. We have reduced our mains water usage by two thirds.

Depending on the property build, the insulation values are probably rubbish. We had polystyrene lined vynil cladding put on the house. Doesn't save much heat in winter but keeps the heat off in summer, VERY effectively.

Installed a heat pump for hot water. This only runs at night. 310 litre capacity. $55.00 dollars for the winter quarter, $22.00 for the summer quarter.

We use hot water from the heat pump sytem for the washing machine but leave the temp control on the washer on zero. With the cold that goes in, wash temp is approx 30-40 C.

Never use a tumble drier. They keep you poor.

Don't set the aircon lower than 26C. During the hot weather that preceded the bushfires in VIC last year, advice was to put the aircon on and leave it on. It costs a fortune to cool the house down if you let it get hot while you are out.

All that said, there HAS to be a problem with the supply / metering to get a bill that big.

Average bill for us is 350 a quarter. That's with neighbourhood energy at 12% pay on time discount.

Please do update us as and when you get this resolved.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of light

OOOOOoooo didnt know about keeping the aircon above 25, Ive been out most of the day then coming in and turning aircon on to 18 so probably gunna regret that Thanks for the advice will turn it up Lo xxx
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I just had my next bill. $457? How on earth can it go down a thousand dollars? I will need to speak to them tomorrow!

I havent changed the pool pump times or anything - switched a couple of lights off and generally mumbled about electricity costs but that much of a drop is unreal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.