Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Beware - Our debit cards cloned

Wikiposts

Beware - Our debit cards cloned

Old May 3rd 2008, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

surreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant future
Default Beware - Our debit cards cloned

Just thought we should warn anyone going out to Oz. Just returned from 3 month reggie and both my husbands and my debit cards where cloned.
Bank cancelled them immediately giving us no prior notice, this left us with
no source of income..lucky we had relations and friends on hand to help.
We would never use our English debit cards again in Oz, will set up Oz bank account or take travellers cheques.
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:36 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware - Our debit cards cloned

Originally Posted by surreyfamily
Just thought we should warn anyone going out to Oz. Just returned from 3 month reggie and both my husbands and my debit cards where cloned.
We would never use our English debit cards again in Oz, will set up Oz bank account or take travellers cheques.
It's happened to me - twice.

The first time it was 'skimmed' when I used it in a shop and then cloned several times with different issue numbers.

The second time someone at the Royal Mail sorting office took our new debit cards and waited for our pins and happily not only emptied our account but used the overdraft as well.

I still pray that the people who did this die horribley - thieving bastards.

It's awful but it goes on everywhere, it is my greatest fear that it happens to me in Perth because I don't know if like the UK, that you get your money back - I heard that you don't.

People who do that deserve their knees breaking.
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surreyfamily
Happens just as much in the UK as in Aus though. And you stand just as good a chance of your Aussie card being cloned as your UK one.
Old May 4th 2008, 2:51 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Happens just as much in the UK as in Aus though. And you stand just as good a chance of your Aussie card being cloned as your UK one.
I wonder if the chances have increased or decreased with chip and pin, in the UK they say they have decreased but I am not sure.

I also worry that if the worst happened and it happened to us again, would we get our money back.

Its no questions asked in the UK with Halifax but god knows what policy Westpac have on it.
Old May 4th 2008, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Ms_Fi will become famous soon enough

I've heard of more people losing money from their accounts since Chip and Pin came in than I did before.

I don't use my debit card as a debit card in Aus, I use the ATMs and spend cash. It's easier to keep an eye on what I'm spending that way!!
Old May 4th 2008, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I wonder if the chances have increased or decreased with chip and pin, in the UK they say they have decreased but I am not sure.

I also worry that if the worst happened and it happened to us again, would we get our money back.

Its no questions asked in the UK with Halifax but god knows what policy Westpac have on it.
It happened to Glittababe and she managed to get the money back from Westpac - so there is hope.

It happened to my mum when she was here a few weeks back - on her UK HSBC card - she still hasn't got her money back - she is back in the UK now so hopefully she can keep onto them more.
Old May 4th 2008, 11:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It happens the world over regardless of what nationality the card is. You have to be aware all the time when you use your card but you can still get caught out because you will never know if the innocent swipe machine has the clone machine/software attached.
Old May 4th 2008, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Yup happened to my hubby the other week, no obvious reason but someone in Mexico and Oz tried taking payments from his account, lloyds TSB cancelled his card straight away.

On the other hand, to add a little light to the conversation, my OH parnets went over to Sydney the other week, forgot to tell the bank they were going and when they tried to use their cards they got cancelled Two sides to every story but it is the same no matter where you are in the world. There wil always be thieving barstools on the prowl
Old May 5th 2008, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight my OH went to do the family FOOD shopping and our bank account does not exist... I phoned the bank and we have been the victims of identity theft... Don't know the damage until the morning, but they have 'frozen' both our accounts.... their first suspicious incident was n 30/4 so why were we not told then?.... Then tonight... no accounts and NO further information til we present at the bank with 100 points of ID ...

We both work full time, have 4 kids... very little food in the house and boy I'm shit scared right now... we have no financial backup here in Australia..

Don't know how I will sleep tonight..

crying... quietly ..... so the kids don't hear me
Old May 5th 2008, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by eddie007
Tonight my OH went to do the family FOOD shopping and our bank account does not exist... I phoned the bank and we have been the victims of identity theft... Don't know the damage until the morning, but they have 'frozen' both our accounts.... their first suspicious incident was n 30/4 so why were we not told then?.... Then tonight... no accounts and NO further information til we present at the bank with 100 points of ID ...

We both work full time, have 4 kids... very little food in the house and boy I'm shit scared right now... we have no financial backup here in Australia..

OMG that is terrible

I wonder how they did it?

We went in to Westpac to discuss their procedures on identity fraud as we have been victims of it twice.

The manager said it does not happen in Australia, only if cards are lost/stolen. I told him that I disagreed with him strongly and it does happen, perhaps he chooses not to believe it.

He went red and said he hasn't heard of it before.

It makes me want to change my bank or at least find a bank that has strict protocols in place.

Eddie, please let me know how you get on. This has got me scared now.
Old May 5th 2008, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

No real news..... OH went in this morning and has his cards reinstated. THEY wouldn't talk to HIM about it becasue it is MY identity that has been nicked... (Like who wants MY life FFS?)

Our money appears to be in tact, sadly I can't get to it... HE thinks this is a good thing

I have an appointment with 100 points of identification and the bank manager/ fraud team tomorrow morning first thing...

will let you know what occurs...
Old May 5th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

I once had a credit card with The Royal Bank Of Scotland and had the option of having my picture on the back of it, Nearly everywhere i used had lots of comments of "What a great Idea" why don't all banks do this. Apparently there was a huge drop in Credit Card Fraud because of this. I know it won't make any difference with things brought on the internet, but everyday use i didn't have any problems with it, I personally think the Banks should give this a serious thought. I believe alot of people thought this was a round about way of introducing compulsory Photo ID.
But if it helps stop fraud and you being the victim of fraud all the better in my opinion.

John

Last edited by nickyjohnt; May 5th 2008 at 11:03 pm.
Old May 5th 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I once had a credit card with The Royal Bank Of Scotland and had the option of having my picture on the back of it, Nearly everywhere i used had lots of comments of "What a great Idea" why don't all banks do this. Apparently there was a huge drop in Credit Card Fraud because of this. I know it won't make any difference with things brought on the internet, but everyday use i didn't have any problems with it, I personally think the Banks should give this a serious thought. I believe alot of people thought this was a round about way of introducing compulsory Photo ID.
But if it helps stop fraud and you being the victim of fraud all the better in my opinion.

John
yeah - my husbamd had his photo on his Lloyds card for a while and everyone thought it was great (also never had a problem with the card/account but can't definitively put it down to this) hasn't had a photo for the last few issues though. I think it's a step in the right direction - what problem do people have with ID -if they are lawful?
Old May 6th 2008, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

No real news..... OH went in this morning and has his cards reinstated. THEY wouldn't talk to HIM about it becasue it is MY identity that has been nicked... (Like who wants MY life FFS?)

Our money appears to be in tact, sadly I can't get to it... HE thinks this is a good thing

I have an appointment with 100 points of identification and the bank manager/ fraud team tomorrow morning first thing...

will let you know what occurs...
ah bless you babe, i understand where the bank is coming from but couldn't you request that a new card be issued to yourself? When it happened to my hubby they cancelled his card (as that what they had used) and issued a new card to him for him to access his funds.

Good luck with it all babe and good luck on your OH in pursuading him that it is NOT a good thing
Old May 6th 2008, 12:41 am

Im going to go to Westpac tomorrow and talk to them about their policy. Someone told me that ANZ have a good security policy in place but what that is I don't know.

I know it happens everywhere, Ive had it done twice but it does not hurt to know a banks policy with regards to this issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.