Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Best place to go for extensive/expensive dental work

Best place to go for extensive/expensive dental work

Old Sep 16th 2015, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to go for extensive/expensive dental work

Originally Posted by Japonica
Wish I'd known about the Thai clinic before I had a CEREC restoration done here. I couldn't believe the price and insurance only covered about $300 of it.
Have you considered changing to a plan that pays a percentage rather than set benefits ? Saved me a lot.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Have you considered changing to a plan that pays a percentage rather than set benefits ? Saved me a lot.
Yes, I'll have to look into it. Who are you with?
Old Sep 17th 2015, 1:14 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

You can also top up what your healthfund offers using dental plan:

https://www.smile.com.au/

S
Old Sep 17th 2015, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You can also top up what your healthfund offers using dental plan:

https://www.smile.com.au/

S
Thanks!
Old Sep 17th 2015, 1:16 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

You can get up to another 15% off using that, and can combine it with a lot of health funds (but not all).

S
Old Sep 19th 2015, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Medibank private 85% plan. They pay 85% of general AND major dental up to the limit. Get your major dental done at the end of the year and start of the next if you need 2 x your limit done at once.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
Medibank private 85% plan. They pay 85% of general AND major dental up to the limit.
Ah. We were with Medibank previously. We switched when we needed better coverage for my son's speech pathology.
Old Sep 19th 2015, 2:40 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Have quite a few Aussie friends who split their time between Aus and Penang and they say that Penang costs are a small fraction of cost and the dentists very good. I can vouch for that. I and a lot of others use KK Ong. You can google...there's a website.

I used to live in Phuket Thailand also. Dentists there are bloody scary but up to you Bangkok may be better.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 12:30 pm
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

I should mention on behalf of anyone considering implants that it takes several months for bone to grow around the implant and stabilize it. This means there's an initial surgery, a few follow up appointments, and months later the bridge gets placed. This may not be practical for travel tourism.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 1:23 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manekeniko
I should mention on behalf of anyone considering implants that it takes several months for bone to grow around the implant and stabilize it. This means there's an initial surgery, a few follow up appointments, and months later the bridge gets placed. This may not be practical for travel tourism.
This was the case with me, the whole process took 6 months and several appointments. I initially looked at having the work done overseas, as some clinics say they can do the lot in one visit, but after doing a lot of research I decided to have it done here.

Wish I'd waited until we were living in the UK though, it's cheaper there than in Australia!
Old Sep 24th 2015, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could go and live in Penang for 6 months which still probably would be cheaper than Oz

I'm fed up to the back teeth with teeth...still have sore gums after all my fillings. A girl in the restaurant last night was eating a very delicious looking steak..I eyed it with envy!
Old Sep 25th 2015, 1:43 pm
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

Getting implants at a dental school is an option. I had two hampsteads implanted at Bellevue Hospital in NYC. Dental students from the school on 24th Street do their residency there, and patients can save a lot of money.

At a school, there's no financial motivation to upsell services. The student gets a passing grade for recommending exactly what the patient requires.