Wikiposts

BE's Book Club!!

Old Feb 1st 2006, 4:40 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: BE's Book Club!!

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Now there's a question I can't win with LOL No matter what I say now someone will take issue with it.
Well answered, my thoughts exactly.
One man's tat is another man's treasure.
'Brow' classifications aside, I've enjoyed reading Simon Singh, Richard Feynman and Richard Dawkins to name a few.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 4:43 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
Well answered, my thoughts exactly.
One man's tat is another man's treasure.
'Brow' classifications aside, I've enjoyed reading Simon Singh, Richard Feynman and Richard Dawkins to name a few.
I always find Terry Pratchett's version of the World to be the most interesting
Old Feb 1st 2006, 4:55 pm

I always find Terry Pratchett's version of the World to be the most interesting
lol me too, the guy's a genius. I'm reading Jingo at the moment.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:02 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

lol me too, the guy's a genius. I'm reading Jingo at the moment.
I hope they NEVER try to turn it into TV or a movie - it will shatter the imagery. I mean - who would you get to play Carrot, Vimes, The Patrician, Death? Everyone pictures their own Ankh Morpork - I'd hate some cinema guy to impose his view of it on me. Although I have to say I think Dawn French would make a good Lady Sybill
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:08 pm

I hope they NEVER try to turn it into TV or a movie - it will shatter the imagery. I mean - who would you get to play Carrot, Vimes, The Patrician, Death? Everyone pictures their own Ankh Morpork - I'd hate some cinema guy to impose his view of it on me. Although I have to say I think Dawn French would make a good Lady Sybill
I used to work in a town called Wincanton.
The town sign announced that it was twinned with Ankh Morpork!
Looked nothing like the place in my mind. You're right it shouldn't be done.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:15 pm
Banned

I used to work in a town called Wincanton.
The town sign announced that it was twinned with Ankh Morpork!
Looked nothing like the place in my mind. You're right it shouldn't be done.
Silly game

1. Vincent Price (in his heyday)... The Patrician
2. Ronnie Barker ..... Fred Colon
3. Neil Morrisey ...... Rincewind
4. Richard Griffiths .... Mustrum Ridcully
5. David Jason ..... Sam Vimes
6. Pete Postlethwaite ... Nobby Nobbs
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:56 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Polyphemus
Hope you've all read 'Illywhacker' by Peter Carey
I've been purging my book collection over the last few days, and one of many to bite the dust was this one. Good book, but I won't be reading it again. Also good: Bliss and Oscar and Lucinda. Remaining on the shelf and yet to read - The History of the Kelly Gang.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 10:21 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Got an excellent funny book for you to read.....its called 'a wayne in a manger' by gervase phinn.
you will seriously pee yourself laughing!
the book is about phinns experience as a school inspector in south yorkshire....and this book is about his encounters with kids at school nativity plays! It helps if you understand the yorkshire accent!!
The title is from a kid who was arguing with a vicar who went into a primary school to talk about christmas and the nativity. getting on to the virgin birth, the vicar asked the kids if they knew what the baby was called. one kid kept saying it was called wayne.....after failing to get the kid to agree the baby was called jesus, the vicar asked why he thougt it was called wayne. the kid replied they knew he was called wayne cos they sang about him in assembly the other day.....''a wayne in a manger, no crib for a bed...''

I pmsl!!

Old Feb 5th 2006, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
Got an excellent funny book for you to read.....its called 'a wayne in a manger' by gervase phinn.
you will seriously pee yourself laughing!
the book is about phinns experience as a school inspector in south yorkshire....and this book is about his encounters with kids at school nativity plays! It helps if you understand the yorkshire accent!!
The title is from a kid who was arguing with a vicar who went into a primary school to talk about christmas and the nativity. getting on to the virgin birth, the vicar asked the kids if they knew what the baby was called. one kid kept saying it was called wayne.....after failing to get the kid to agree the baby was called jesus, the vicar asked why he thougt it was called wayne. the kid replied they knew he was called wayne cos they sang about him in assembly the other day.....''a wayne in a manger, no crib for a bed...''

I pmsl!!

I haven't seen that book, must be a new one - I've read about 4 others which are in a series about his teaching and inspectorial experiences in the Dales (Up and Down in the Dales, Head over heels in the Dales, The other side of the Dale etc). I'll look out for it as they are well written. Invariably they revolve around the funny things that kids say. Yep, a quick 'google' shows this came out in Oct last year!

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; Feb 5th 2006 at 8:44 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 9:44 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

rereading pilgers A secret country. Old edition bit dated but good info on the mateship of poli's/business men and the Whitlam affair
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:53 pm

I read today that their going to do Hogfather for TV this Xmas.
David Jason to be Albert
Malcolm McDowell as Teatime
Old Feb 10th 2006, 1:36 pm
Banned

I read today that their going to do Hogfather for TV this Xmas.
David Jason to be Albert
Malcolm McDowell as Teatime
I still think it'll be wrong. It should be left well alone.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 11:39 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Bump....

"And then the Darkness" (Sue Williams). Its the first book about the Peter Falconio murder. Not a bad read. To be honest at the time I thought the girlfriend had something to do with it (his g/f not mine)

Last edited by seang; Mar 11th 2006 at 11:44 am.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:12 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I haven't seen that book, must be a new one - I've read about 4 others which are in a series about his teaching and inspectorial experiences in the Dales (Up and Down in the Dales, Head over heels in the Dales, The other side of the Dale etc). I'll look out for it as they are well written. Invariably they revolve around the funny things that kids say. Yep, a quick 'google' shows this came out in Oct last year!

OzTennis

pm me an address and i'll post you my copy
Old Mar 12th 2006, 4:56 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: BE's Book Club!!

Reading alot of Jodi Picoult. Find her stuff thought provoking.
Agree with previous posters comments about Lovely Bones -made me cry

Enjoyed Dirt Music, very evocative picture of western Australia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.