Wikiposts

BE's Book Club!!

Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:50 pm
Banned

spiral tribe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BE's Book Club!!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm reading the world's shortest book. It's called 'The book of modest Australians'.
I thought the worlds shortest book was "French/Italian war heroes".
Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webgum
There's loads and loads about Tassie (Van Diemens Land). Tales of bush rangers and escaped convicts eating each other. Great stuff!

My husband once cycled up the east coast of Tasmania (for fun apparently!!) and the photos he took were amazing. It looks stunning. Good luck.
I've read quite a few other books set in Tasmania which are worth reading although many relate to the convict origins!

For the term of his natural life by Marcus Clarke;
Out of Ireland by Christopher Koch;
Australian Trilogy by Bryce Courtenay - Potato Factory, Tommo & Hawk and Solomon's Song;
Morgan's Run by Colleen McCullough (also set on Norfolk Island where she comes from) etc.

Courtenay and Koch are my 'top reads' from the above.

Has anyone read Courtenay's latest offering? (Whitethorn, released last November)

I can vouch for the beauty of the eastern side of Tasmania (white sands and turquoise seas stick out in my memory).

OzTennis
Old Jan 31st 2006, 12:02 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently reading Lonely Planet Western Australia

Together with the very exciting Booklet 6
Old Jan 31st 2006, 2:54 am
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all
Red face Re: BE's Book Club!!

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I've read quite a few other books set in Tasmania which are worth reading although many relate to the convict origins!

Australian Trilogy by Bryce Courtenay - Potato Factory, Tommo & Hawk and Solomon's Song;
Morgan's Run by Colleen McCullough (also set on Norfolk Island where she comes from) etc.

Has anyone read Courtenay's latest offering? (Whitethorn, released last November)

I can vouch for the beauty of the eastern side of Tasmania (white sands and turquoise seas stick out in my memory).

OzTennis
Another Tazzie book is English Passengers by Matthew Kneale, which was shortlisted for the Mann Booker prize in 2001(ish?). i really enjoyed it.

Michelle
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:38 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the info on tassie books

I've ordered fatal shores and got the playmaker (fictional story about the convicts) chucked in at a bargain price. from Amazon
Old Jan 31st 2006, 10:30 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by OzTennis

OzTennis
These look good, I'm off to the library tomorrow to find a selection.

On the topic of good ozzie writers, I liked Kate Grenville 'An idea of Perfection'; Tim Winton 'Dirt Music'''; and I'm also re-dipping into Albert Facey's 'A Fortunate Life' which I bought back in 1990 on my working holiday in Australia. As I'm now living in WA, this one is very emotive.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webgum
These look good, I'm off to the library tomorrow to find a selection.

On the topic of good ozzie writers, I liked Kate Grenville 'An idea of Perfection'; Tim Winton 'Dirt Music'''; and I'm also re-dipping into Albert Facey's 'A Fortunate Life' which I bought back in 1990 on my working holiday in Australia. As I'm now living in WA, this one is very emotive.
Tim Winton has written a lot of good books (comes from Perth); Thomas Keneally likewise (best known for Schindler's List which the film was based on but written a lot of good ones based in Oz); if you like Australian history Geoffrey Blainey is hard to beat (really inspired me at Uni of Melb as my Aust'n hist lecturer for a couple of years).

OzTennis
Old Feb 1st 2006, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Polyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud of

Hope you've all read 'Illywhacker' by Peter Carey
Old Feb 1st 2006, 1:07 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by rossifumi
A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

This book breaks everything down into more manageable chapters instead of overloading you into submission where it all goes whoosh, "straight over me head".
More diagrams in this version so I could get out me crayons and do lots of colouring in.

It was certainly a different read, I'm not a great book fanatic but this was interesting, made easier with a few and good for the

Seriously though, worth a read if you want to know more about the Universe, the big bang and time etc..

Right, I'll get me coat!
I read the full "Brief" some years back and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then someone bought me the hardback of "Universe in a Nutshell". Talk about brain strain, I gave up after my fourth attempt as it's not exactly light reading.
Even with all the colour illustrations I struggled to understand curved spacetime theory.

Right, I'll get me coat too!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 1:12 pm

No one has mentioned any scifi.
Anybody enjoy the likes of Asimov, Orwell, Clarke, Gibson, PK Dick...?
Old Feb 1st 2006, 1:36 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
I read the full "Brief" some years back and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then someone bought me the hardback of "Universe in a Nutshell". Talk about brain strain, I gave up after my fourth attempt as it's not exactly light reading.
Even with all the colour illustrations I struggled to understand curved spacetime theory.

Right, I'll get me coat too!
I enjoyed the Bill Bryson book on the history of everything - don't remember it's proper title right now - but I liked his other books as well - I like his sardonic style.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by 232Bar
I enjoyed the Bill Bryson book on the history of everything - don't remember it's proper title right now - but I liked his other books as well - I like his sardonic style.
Brief History of Everything... that wasn't a bad first attempt at "popular science". He did regurgitate a lot of facts that have been done to death in dozens of other books, but at least tried to make them his. I like his style too.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 2:34 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Brief History of Everything... that wasn't a bad first attempt at "popular science". He did regurgitate a lot of facts that have been done to death in dozens of other books, but at least tried to make them his. I like his style too.
Which isn't a bad idea - a lot of people who don't read the 'highbrow' stuff will most likely have found this one more 'digestible' (he says without trying to sound condescending )
Old Feb 1st 2006, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Which isn't a bad idea - a lot of people who don't read the 'highbrow' stuff will most likely have found this one more 'digestible' (he says without trying to sound condescending )
What do you call the 'highbrow' stuff and do you read it?
Old Feb 1st 2006, 4:28 pm
Banned

What do you call the 'highbrow' stuff and do you read it?
Now there's a question I can't win with LOL No matter what I say now someone will take issue with it. I don't particularly class the likes of Stephen Hawking as highbrow, but some do. Similarly I find the 'pure physics' versions too 'dry' to read whereas some will devour these. I worked with another manager in the UK who considered Tom Clancy to be 'posh reading, not for him' - to each their own.

That's why I initially put highbrow in ' ' as it's individual tastes which determine where it lies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.